Fate of Google Plus page "Evernote for Android App Beta Test"

John in Michigan USA

Idea

17 replies to this idea

29 minutes ago, jefito said:

I seem to recall that the idea was to consolidate all Evernote client beta stuff to the forums here, so that all would be consistent. I haven't been able to come up with where I got that idea. I'd be in favor of it, though. 

Agreed, @jefito, that the Android beta community makes sense to be here with the rest of the discussion forums. Google+ has halted new profile/page/community/event creation as of yesterday, and so it's best for us not to wait until April to transition the community there. @Shane D., perhaps you (or whoever is on point for this) can let us know when the decision is made? Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, jefito said:

This isn't a feature request forum type. I can move it to the Android Feature Request forum if you'd like. I'd upvote it!

1 hour ago, jefito said:

I seem to recall that the idea was to consolidate all Evernote client beta stuff to the forums here, so that all would be consistent. I haven't been able to come up with where I got that idea. I'd be in favor of it, though. 

In light of these and other posts above, I note that the Windows and Mac betas and GAs are announced (and receive feedback) on their respective branches of the Product Feedback/Feature Requests forums. It seems like good sense to do the same for Android betas. If this thread gets moved there, that might perhaps nudge things in that direction. (In a quick check, it seems that the last beta announcement there was for v. 7.5 in November 2015.)

• Like 1

I posted to this forum because I ran this search and virtually all the hits relevant to the Android beta were found in "Evernote for Android"  I will happily defer to @jefito and the others re where this post should be moved to.

Also, re @Ralph77's concern that it might be difficult to get the downloaded G+ content back online: it is actually very easy. Google delivers the content in a zip file that unzips to directories and static html files that are web-ready. EN would just need to create an appropriate vdir on their Web server.

Alternately, it could be unzipped to a folder on EN's G drive, then share that folder  read-only via a link that G Drive generates. Then publish the link someplace. I don't think we need the content to be update-able.

I suppose they  could even just post the zip file as an attachment to a discussion topic.

Edited by John in Michigan USA
typos
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Darkera said:

Hey, has anyone had issues where they have had to factory reset their phone and lost the Beta. I am trying get the link to get back to it, but no one can seem to get it to me. I am really concerned that I will.lose everything I put into it since December when I started using it.

Have you tried re-downloading from the Play store?  When I had a beta app,  the store recognised me and served up the right version.  Of course there is no current betas that I'm aware of - v8.13 and v10 are both public versions now...

I can't see a way to Like/Vote this topic up, but anyway, I'd like to second that. The G+ Android Beta community has had a lot of loyal and dedicated users over the last few years! I dare say though, that even though it's possible for G+ Community Owners to download and save their content, getting it back up online in a readable format would no doubt be an onerous task.

Bearing that in mind I'd like to ask EN what plans you have for rebooting Android Beta testing, which has been neglected over the last few months - however I will post this here... 

... which although the topic has been dormant since November 2015 (when the answer was "it's in our Google+ Community") now requires a more up to date answer!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ralph77 said:

I can't see a way to Like/Vote this topic up, but anyway, I'd like to second that.

This isn't a feature request forum type. I can move it to the Android Feature Request forum if you'd like. I'd upvote it!

• Like 1
On 2/4/2019 at 12:04 AM, John in Michigan USA said:

Hi,

Could the owner of the "Evernote for Android App Beta Test" community please be sure to preserve this community before Google disappears it in April, 2019. Instructions for how to download and save the content are here.

Thank you.

Maybe Slack would be a good place to take it? I have a group that I'm rebuilding from  Google + for my Scrivener Community and have tried multiple platforms with no traction. Might be the same with this one. 

• Level 5*

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

In a quick check, it seems that the last beta announcement there was for v. 7.5 in November 2015

I'd venture that the reason for this is because it was decided at that time to host it on Google+ instead, and all further Android beta discussion has been there - up until a few weeks ago, when the owner and mods just seemed to disappear without a trace...

So it seems to me the time has come to move it back here, where it all started!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hey All,

Thank you for reaching out!

I wanted to let you know that we are currently in the process of determining how we will be migrating the Android beta community to a new location with the closure of Google +.

That being said, I'll follow-up here as soon as I have more information, but let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

• Like 4

Hey, has anyone had issues where they have had to factory reset their phone and lost the Beta. I am trying get the link to get back to it, but no one can seem to get it to me. I am really concerned that I will.lose everything I put into it since December when I started using it.

I have re-downloaded the one on the play store, but when I started the Beta I was told not to open that one. They said it could cause issues with the Beta and make me lose everything I had done. That is what I'm currently concerned about.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Darkera said:

when I started the Beta I was told not to open that one

Hoe do you have two versions installed?  You said you had factory reset the device and wanted to get back to the beta - implying that there's nothing currently on your device.  If you downloaded a replacement beta,  where did that come from?  Can you give us a screenshot of the advice that using the standard version might cause issues?