Stop converting Google Drive Links???

francesccasadella

Idea

Hello Evernote Communinity! 

I'm angry because I have a small big problem when i add Google Drive links to Evernote. 

I JUST WANT THAT A GOOGLE DRIVE LINK STAY THE SAME, A GOOGLE DRIVE LINK. I DON'T NEED ANY AUTOMATIC CONVERSION. 

Is it possible or i have to leave Evernote after lots of years? 

I attach a image of what i'm talking about: 
https://www.evernote.com/l/AFOoOl8ALqdE5preCzzFPXFFrMAWENVV5cc
this conversion is evil

thank you! 

• Like 2

30 replies to this idea

I have Evernote for Mac and this is a big problem for me too. I hate the big boxes that Google links turn into, because the bulky boxes completely destroy the readability of my notes.

I was able to prevent the problem previously by using Cmd+Z after pasting the link. However, since today, for some reason Evernote turns the links automatically back into bulky boxes. Even if I manually turn the google links back to normal looking links, after I visit another note and go back, the bulky links have reappeared.

Please fix this asap, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

The only answer I can see is to use a text block and paste the link there.  The link content shows there,  but then it's not an active link - it's necessary to copy and paste the line of characters into the browser bar to jump to the note.

I guess the other option would be to use DropBox or OneDrive where the links don't (yet) have this extra formatting.

If you'd like I can move your post to a voting thread to see how many others would wish to see the Google Drive formatting switchable on and off...

yes please, let's vote on this thread, i will love to see if i'm alone o there's more people like me. 

i will love to have the option to enable this google drive links off or on. 

pd.- at the moment my solution is to do "control+z" after copy the link, but it's quite a poor solution. 

• Like 1

This appears to be new behavior on Android. I agree it is very annoying.  I routinely insert a Google Drive link into an Evernote note, then subsequent change the link text to be something specific for my document.  However, after exiting the note and then opening it up again I find that Evernote has *automatically* changed that link text back to the name of the Google Drive document and also inserts the little Google Drive icon before it.  This really makes a note look messy when I have lots of links interspersed in the note that are linking to Google drive documents. I just want the original link text to remain as I entered it and not have Evernote try to out-think me.

9 minutes ago, Roy Douglas said:

This appears to be new behavior on Android. I agree it is very annoying.  I routinely insert a Google Drive link into an Evernote note, then subsequent change the link text to be something specific for my document.  However, after exiting the note and then opening it up again I find that Evernote has *automatically* changed that link text back to the name of the Google Drive document and also inserts the little Google Drive icon before it.  This really makes a note look messy when I have lots of links interspersed in the note that are linking to Google drive documents. I just want the original link text to remain as I entered it and not have Evernote try to out-think me.

So I just played around a little and found a workaround, albeit we shouldn't have to do this.  When I first insert a link (to a Google drive doc) in Evernote on Android, Evernote auto-converts the link text to be the Google Drive document name and puts the Google drive icon in front of that text. If I then immediately touch the undo arrow it remains a link (thank goodness) but removes the Google Drive icon and reverts back to the URL text that I had pasted.  I can then place my cursor inside the URL text and change the text to be whatever I want it to be. I tested leaving the note and coming back in and it looks like Evernote preserves my link text. So crisis averted.  But I don't think Evernote should try to auto-replace the link text like this.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:17 PM, gazumped said:

OK - moved.  I voted,  but as the originator of this thread I don't think you'll be able to do any more.  It remains to be seen how many others feel the same as you!

Moved to where? This is poor customer service and indicative of Evernote. This is a bug I can verify and it is driving me crazy.  Last time I presented a bug to Evernote proving that there is a security flaw they told me "planned feature".  I was able to prove that notes were being shared with random accounts with NO ACCOUNTABILITY.  Let's stomp on these support people to get necessary change and accountability that is sorely lacking.

• Level 5*
On 2/3/2019 at 2:25 PM, gazumped said:

If you'd like I can move your post to a voting thread

On 2/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, francesccasadella said:

yes please, let's vote on this thread,

On 2/3/2019 at 8:17 PM, gazumped said:

OK - moved.  I voted,  but as the originator of this thread I don't think you'll be able to do any more.  It remains to be seen how many others feel the same as you!

3 hours ago, redactorama said:

Moved to where? 

Er,  here?

I have been using the Evernote Desktop version for years and decided to upgrade my membership so I could have access to my notes on my mobile devices (iOS).  I have a daily log file that looked great and included many links to different documents.  I Opened the note on my iOS Phone and it now it has inserted all of these ugly document icons all throughout my note and it looks terrible. 
I just want all my links to have their old simple format back but I cant seem to get that to happen?   
Is there a way to turn off the ugly icon formatting?
Can we get a preference setting to turn these ugly icons off?  

8 hours ago, Mark Weathers said:

I have been using the Evernote Desktop version for years and decided to upgrade my membership so I could have access to my notes on my mobile devices (iOS).  I have a daily log file that looked great and included many links to different documents.  I Opened the note on my iOS Phone and it now it has inserted all of these ugly document icons all throughout my note and it looks terrible. 
I just want all my links to have their old simple format back but I cant seem to get that to happen?   
Is there a way to turn off the ugly icon formatting?
Can we get a preference setting to turn these ugly icons off?  

I think this issue has been resolved in the beta version of the Android app. Links now remain as simple links.

By taking up so much space, I can no longer integrate Google sheets/docs into Evernote, which means I can't use Evernote on my Mac for anything but article clipping. 

@Team Evernote - please consider fixing this. Links-as-icons are creating extremely bulky spacing. I need to have several links on a single line along with links combined with text, but this is impossible with such large icons. It also pushes other parts of my note - text I need to view - way down the page. I either need to stop using google-drive products or figure out another note app that allows me to create google links. Please consider fixing and thanks for any help with this.

I know it seems like a cool idea to automatically expand text for google docs and now youtube links, but it really isn't. Really really is NOT.

Can you please stop now?

This is the "feature" that will finally make me quit evernote. It is such a hassle and ruins all my notes.

It is an indicator of the software development talent at Evernote that they can not understand this.

If you must persist with this "feature" then make it require a click action to change to the converted link, rather than make it the default.

• Like 1

+1 x100 for this one... I hate that any time I use a link to a Google Doc or Google Sheet it converts to an icon that looks like an attachment.  That provides ZERO utility for me.... also, it causes issues when I use anchor text for the links... initially it will appear the way it should, but if I cut and paste the text it loses the anchor text and expands the link to Google Sheet to this stupid icon.  PLEASE FIX this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand wanting to highlight synergy w/Google Docs-&-Sheets. It's a markable feature, but it ruins the spacing and flow of our notes. 

Users don't need links turned into massive, space-sucking icons - they just need links. Having large google icons doesn't increase the functionality of the link, and it makes it impossible to embed the links within surrounding text.

I have several projects that depend on Google docs & sheets, but now I can't work on those projects in Evernote, and I'm stuck with the daunting task of moving everything to OneNote.

I often use multiple lines of text w/several different links to docs and sheets. The large google icons make it impossible for me to link to Google docs/sheets - it creates nightmarish spacing issues. If someone just needs a link and not a large icon, they should be able to just have a link.

• [text] link-1 [text] link-2 [text] link3
  • [text] link-4 [text] link-5 link-6
  • [text] link-7 [text] link-8 link-9
  • [text] link-10 [text] link-11 link-12

Can someone from Evernote tell us an easy way to get rid of the large google icons?

Can we pay $5 extra to unlock the feature that gives us our notes back? 

Why offer links if you are going to punish us for linking to google docs/sheets?

I'm begging. Please help. All we're asking for is the ability to link to google docs/sheets without having our spacing destroyed by large functionless icons. 

9 minutes ago, spacing said:

I understand wanting to highlight synergy w/Google Docs-&-Sheets. It's a markable feature, but it ruins the spacing and flow of our notes. 

Users don't need links turned into massive, space-sucking icons - they just need links. Having large google icons doesn't increase the functionality of the link, and it makes it impossible to embed the links within surrounding text.

I have several projects that depend on Google docs & sheets, but now I can't work on those projects in Evernote, and I'm stuck with the daunting task of moving everything to OneNote.

I often use multiple lines of text w/several different links to docs and sheets. The large google icons make it impossible for me to link to Google docs/sheets - it creates nightmarish spacing issues. If someone just needs a link and not a large icon, they should be able to just have a link.

• [text] link-1 [text] link-2 [text] link3
  • [text] link-4 [text] link-5 link-6
  • [text] link-7 [text] link-8 link-9
  • [text] link-10 [text] link-11 link-12

Can someone from Evernote tell us an easy way to get rid of the large google icons?

Can we pay $5 extra to unlock the feature that gives us our notes back? 

Why offer links if you are going to make it impossible to link to google docs/sheets?

I'm begging. Please help. 

What version of Evernote are you on?  I'm on the betas everywhere so I don't know if this is a beta feature or if this is in the latest public release, but the version of Evernote that I have (both Android and Windows) allows me to specify whether I want the link to be expanded (aka "preview") or if I just want it to be a link.  I remember that this was a problem at one time for me but it's been fixed for quite some time now.

17 minutes ago, spacing said:

I'm not from EN but somebody recently posted how to stop youtube links being converted into previews. The same trick works with Google docs links. You need to add a space before and after. So on windows press:

<space> ctrl-V <space>

Alternatively you can always write some text, highlight it, hit the add link button and paste the Google doc url into the link box.

So there are three possible ways of configuring a Google docs link.

image.png.3b01bff763937d29579656e7ed0d52c9.png

• Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 3:03 PM, Tom. said:

Found a fix, at least in Windows.  There is an option under "tools/options/note/Show Descriptive Links" to remove this stupidity.

Unchecking the Show descriptive links option resolved the problem for me in Windows Legacy. 

Evernote Show descriptive links option.jpg

+1

I just came back to Evernote, and it seems like it's massively downgraded from when I used to use it. This feature/bug alone makes me want to go back to Notepad++.

My problem is that google drive links are usually from my company server, and evernote cannot connect, so I just get a block that I don't want. All I want is a hyperlink.

+1

I just came back to Evernote, and it seems like it's massively downgraded from when I used to use it. This feature/bug alone makes me want to go back to Notepad++.

My problem is that google drive links are usually from my company server, and evernote cannot connect, so I just get a block that I don't want. All I want is a hyperlink.

53 minutes ago, Jeminar said:

I just came back to Evernote, and it seems like it's massively downgraded from when I used to use it.

Depends on what your use-case of it was before and personal preference. I have both the old legacy version and v10 version installed on two of my machines at the same time. I never open the old version.

58 minutes ago, Jeminar said:

My problem is that google drive links are usually from my company server, and evernote cannot connect

You can Ctrl-Z right after it and it will revert back to a link. I do that sometimes and never even think about it -- it's just muscle memory. But also, you can type the document name or some description, highlight that and then Ctrl-V the link from your clipboard and it will auto turn your highlighted text into a hyperlink for you so that you have some sensible text for the link vs a URL little meaning.

• Like 1