Evernote for Windows 6.18 Beta 1

Iriska

• Ex Employees
Today we released Windows 6.18 beta 1. It's available here!
What’s in 6.18 beta 1?

Fixed:

- Printing a note with a PDF always prints a blank page first
- UserID is shown when user shares a note 
- "Save as template" icon is too small on note panel toolbar in HiDPI display
- Fixed several crashes
- Text search blocks last of text in the note
- Tag is added to notes without prefix when adding a tag with prefix ";" to notes on multi select view
Drag and drop a resource from computer into an existing note with text does not paste where the cursor is

• Iriska pinned this topic
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

Anything new?  Don't get me wrong, fixes are good, but shiny things are as well.  Whatever the appropriate blend of fix/new is.  :)

Well, according to the new boss, fixes over features is the focus for 2019 (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/118322-evernote-blog-looking-ahead-evernote’s-priorities-for-2019/); I can't say that that's a bad thing. You may have to wait for the shiny...

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, jefito said:

Well, according to the new boss, fixes over features is the focus for 2019 (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/118322-evernote-blog-looking-ahead-evernote’s-priorities-for-2019/); I can't say that that's a bad thing. You may have to wait for the shiny...

Yeah, I get all that, EN plumbing, uniformity and reliability are job 1's.  If that takes all of 2019, well that's another blog post.  Though I do suppose if that stuff got fixed and all else stayed the same I would be just as happy without the shiny objects.  ;)

• Like 2
On 2/1/2019 at 1:47 AM, CalS said:

Anything new?  Don't get me wrong, fixes are good, but shiny things are as well.  Whatever the appropriate blend of fix/new is.  :)

I hope you're joking, aren't you?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, fredhammersmith said:

Please...  make this software run instead of crawling...

This is all I ask from now on. The features are already there.

Curious.  My version is running about the same speed.  How slow is your version running.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, eric99 said:

I hope you're joking, aren't you?

Semi.  I think any organization that pegs out on maintenance or enhancement doesn't have it right.  Being able to incorporate market needed change has to happen. 

I recognize EN needs to do some house cleaning before adding more to the product.  Some combo of addressing the current backlog of bugs (the truly not working per spec stuff) and implementing some repeatable QA processes would be a start.  Just have it do what it says it will do, reliably.

It will be interesting to see how gray zone stuff (fix/change?) like uniformity across platforms will play out.  That and everyone seems to have their own must have enhancement.  Which will EN address as a market need?

DATA LOSS:

Did someone break something in this release with images and notes?  Or perhaps this problem existed prior in at least this one note.
None-the-less - a note with a broken image place holder and the original image GONE!  Yikes! Image thumbnail in snapshot still shows up though.

FWIW, I tried 'save attachments' and the image was there though.  Brought it back in and synced again.

When I synced - the 'broken image placeholder' was gone and the image I recovered was in it's place.  Something isn't quite right.

Hopefully a one-off occurrence!  Did not check web to verify status there. 

462620072_ScreenClip.enpng.png.22a43e0a9565ad01f225d57e10bad01e.png

• Level 5*

OK two things:  neither necessarily related to this particular release,  but they are ongoing.

1. I imported some files via a Windows 10 Import folder,  and in each case the source URL says: file://C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\Evernote IMPORT FOLDER\<original filename> - which is pointless because I have the folder set to delete files once imported.  The link goes nowhere and does not contribute to my day.  Not sure if there are situations where a link to an original file would be useful,  but I'd prefer to see no link recorded for Import folder sourced files.

2. There's a lot of discussion in the Forums about the Windows Desktop client freezing / hanging / running slowly.  It only (apparently) affects some users.  I've been lucky up to now,  but in the last few weeks my setup has become very frustrating.  I can create a note.... and then have to do something else for a while until Evernote gets over the shock.*  There's no information AFAIK about what percentage of Windows users are having brain-melting delays because of the interface,  and -obviously- no current known cause,  otherwise you would have fixed it.  In light of Ian Small's avowed intent to make us users into happy campers,  maybe a questionnaire out to Windows users to see who's affected by slow action,  and what version(s) of Windows they're running?  See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/117152-constant-freezing-in-evernote/ for more on this (ongoing).

* I kid you not:  I now have a tablet handy when working on one laptop so I can read something while I wait for Evernote to finish re-organising its knife drawer! - and yes,  re-downloads etc etc are all being tried....
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I imported some files via a Windows 10 Import folder,  and in each case the source URL says: file://C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\Evernote IMPORT FOLDER\<original filename> -

This must be new to 6.81.1?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I imported some files via a Windows 10 Import folder,  and in each case the source URL says: file://C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\Evernote IMPORT FOLDER\<original filename> - which is pointless because I have the folder set to delete files once imported.  The link goes nowhere and does not contribute to my day.  Not sure if there are situations where a link to an original file would be useful,  but I'd prefer to see no link recorded for Import folder sourced files.

I am not seeing this behavior in Evernote 6.18.1.8300. I have mine set to import and not keep the source file, same as you. Hrm....

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I used .TXT files to set up a series of note templates for something else,  and for me all the files show that link.  Just me being special again I guess...

I just tested that. It only does it for TXT files. I tried some PBIX files and it worked without the FILE:// URL thingy. So it is treating text files differently.

But that makes some sense. Other files are imported as files. Text files have the contents of the text file added to the note and the file itself is not imported, so you lose the file name. They are retaining the file name. But not sure the massively long path is necessary.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, EdH said:

I just tested that. It only does it for TXT files.

Thanks - glad the dried frog pills are still working for me after all... ☺️

All my notes imported fine with the filename as the note title,  and the content (which just said "holding text") as the note body.

(I was setting up a series of 25 project dashboards and needed some quick way to generate notes without freezing Evernote up in the process.  The Import Folder worked!!)

• Like 1
On 2/5/2019 at 7:52 AM, gazumped said:

* I kid you not:  I now have a tablet handy when working on one laptop so I can read something while I wait for Evernote to finish re-organising its knife drawer! - and yes,  re-downloads etc etc are all being tried....

I don't use Evernote without my phone nearby to read the news or even do in Evernote Android what I started on the laptop before it froze!

• Like 2

DATA LOSS:  tags are going missing in shared notebooks when the person updates notes in a shared to notebook.

In my screen shots, I am the owner of the notebook that is shared with one other person.  In the particular example here, I've added a tag "receipt-scuba" to this note (and several others).

User #2 (after we all sync), gets these notes but the tags are missing. 

User #2 can not add these tags back in, or update notes in this notebook with this tag (red error box as shown in second screen shot).

I think I've posted this before about tags being stripped in shared notebooks.  - Ahh, yes... quick search in my notebook for  tag:evernote-bug-open  - I see I reported this in October 2018 - screen shot here.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.a6af8b91e858e310806bdaf959b4d8ee.png

1211947114_ScreenClip2.png.20fd924ec56065211a78089734b40317.png

• Level 5*

I have an account shared with myself (one Basic,  one Premium) so I can try out various things,  and I also notice that tags applied in one account aren't necessarily making it across to the other.  Forcing a re-sync with extra detail or minor changes seems to correct the situation,  but I don't always notice...

• Iriska unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 1/31/2019 at 9:01 PM, jefito said:

Yes, fixes over new features I think should be first. I know this client software that's always releasing new updates and it's annoying because my clients get to see stuff that's not supposed to happen. makes me look less professional. 

• 2 weeks later...

ver 6.18.3.8456 (308456) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.3.7750) running on Win10 Home.

Encounters frequent fatal errors that shuts EN down. Happening at a rate around 8+ times per day. Usually occurs when I try to click open a note from the Top List view. EN won't respond when clicking the Icon or Tray Icon. I either have to reboot or go into Win Task Manager kill the EN Tray App and for good measure, I haven't checked if it makes a difference, EN clipper App. Once all EN processes are shut down I can open EN again. Not seeing any data loss, whatever I'm working on seems intact when I restart EN.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JoseVS said:

Encounters frequent fatal errors that shuts EN down.

I've been getting crashes over the past few days - nothing I noticed after updating the app,  but just this last week.  I'll run a search or close a note,  and instead of sitting in the background,  the window disappears and I have to kill 2 tray applications in TM,  and then restart.  There's no loss of data that I've noticed,  but I'm up to 4 crashes so far...

• 5 months later...

I have a record imparted to myself (one Basic, one Premium) so I can evaluate different things, and I additionally see that labels applied in one record aren't really making it crosswise over to the next. Constraining a re-match up with additional detail or minor changes appears to address the circumstance, yet I don't generally take note... 9Apps VidMate VLC