Uninstalling 5.3 then getting 7.8

I just upgraded to High Sierra. I have EN 5.3 (that’s right, EN does indeed go back that far) and now I want to get EN 7.8 which I believe is the current version.  I just read this Forum colloquy from 24 Jan ‘19

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/118615-full-uninstall-older-build/

"For Evernote, you could probably get away with deleting the app and database folder.”

Are these the only two steps needed for a non techie such as I?

Assuming that the answer is yes then…

1. To delete the app, should I drag the icon to Trash, empty Trash and restart the Mac?

2. How do I navigate to the EN database file?  What is its name? Do I delete by simply highlighting it and pressing the delete key?

3. Is there a preferred source for getting EN 7.8 - AppStore versus EN’s website?

I know that I just asked a lot of questions and I assume that all are pretty mundane for pros. So, thank you for putting up with this, and thanks for your help.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, pleasemakeitwork said:

I have EN 5.3 (that’s right, EN does indeed go back that far) and now I want to get EN 7.8

You should not need to delete the current version app and database for upgrades.  You can either:

1. GoTO the EN Mac menu Evernote > Check for Upgrades
    OR
  2. Go to the Evernote web site, download, and install (make sure Evernote Mac is NOT running).

If you are currently running the App Store version, then you should follow option #2.  I definitely recommend the Evernote Web site version.

Questions?

many thanks. I got EN years ago and I have no record of the source.  It may have been Apple or EN's web page, either is just a likely as the other.  Assuming that it's a coin flip, where do I go from there?  Is there something that I can look at to see where my EN app came from? thanks

thank you Sayre.  Forgive me but I do not recognize the image as anywhere in my EN Mac, so I do not know how to get to that screen.  Maybe 5.3 did not have the capability that the screen shot you send now provides. And ... is a giant leap from v 5 to v 7 still within the scope of an "upgrade"? (I hope so)

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, pleasemakeitwork said:

Is there something that I can look at to see where my EN app came from?

Two places:

1. In the Evernote Mac app, goto Evernote > About Evernote
    1. If it includes "Direct", then it was a direct download from the Evernote web site
  2. Open the Mac App Store and click on updates.  If you don't see "Evernote", then you did not get it from the App Store.
3 minutes ago, pleasemakeitwork said:

Sayre 

my EN "About" location saYS THS:

Version 5.3.0 (401806)

•  

I believe that's the Mac version. You should be able to open up the App Store on your Mac and find the Updates section and update it from there. On High Sierra the Updates section should be at the top on the right side.

I think that it worked, About now claims that I have 7.8.

Now I have to figure out the new bells and whistle.

Thank you THANK YOU.  It is folks like you two that make this help forum the best I've seen, and tell the EN Mothership that a significant factor in my decision to stay with EN these many years is the volunteers who help out here. Thanks again. You will see me again whenever I suddenly realize that I am clueless.

4 minutes ago, pleasemakeitwork said:

I think that it worked, About now claims that I have 7.8.

Now I have to figure out the new bells and whistle.

Thank you THANK YOU.  It is folks like you two that make this help forum the best I've seen, and tell the EN Mothership that a significant factor in my decision to stay with EN these many years is the volunteers who help out here. Thanks again. You will see me again whenever I suddenly realize that I am clueless.

You're welcome. I agree with you on the kindness of the volunteers. If you need any help figuring out all the new stuff don't hesitate to ask. One of us can help I'm sure. :)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, pleasemakeitwork said:

Thank you THANK YOU.  It is folks like you two that make this help forum the best I've seen

@pleasemakeitwork:  There are many more helpful forum members than just the few involved in this thread.  Good luck, and please feel free to post any other questions/issues you may have.

Archived