RandomNote Web - see a random note a day...

gazumped

• Level 5*

Tiago Forte,  whom you may have heard of,  has a new project that seems to tick a few boxes raised in the forums.  This is a web page that will 'resurface' (not in the sense of a new paint job...) random notes from the past for review and possible action.

Since it is (apparently) possible to limit the choices to one notebook,  it should be possible to create a sort of spaced repetition learning environment - although remember the notes are not picked by topic or date,  but purely at random.

The man himself says:

I’m very proud to present version 3.0 of RandomNote Web, a free web app we created to help people serendipitously resurface and rediscover their Evernote notes, with the goal of improving their learning and creative output.

I'm not a user*,  just reporting the option.

* I get enough random interruptions in the day that I don't need to set up any more...  ;)

EDIT:  Sorry:  just tried that link - you might want to start here >> https://praxis.fortelabs.co/randomnote-web/

• Level 5*

Random note is an interesting idea.  I could script this on my Mac.  

tell application "Evernote"

set noteList to find notes

set rn to random number from 1 to (count of noteList)

set randomNote to item rn of noteList

set query string of window 1 to ("title:\"" & title of randomNote as string) & "\""
end tell

My first thought is to exclude certain types of notes like reference material, but then that's probably sabotaging the  project.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Just using it this morning I found a group of random things that I could purge, which I probably wouldn't have found any time soon by digging through all my notes.

I wonder if this was the initial intent of the tool?  ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I like the idea, but wonder about privacy. On the authorization screen, it says the site would be allowed to retrieve notes. Anyone know if it's doing any storing or able to see note content on their side? 

• Level 5*
On 3/4/2019 at 6:41 PM, bounce said:

I like the idea, but wonder about privacy. On the authorization screen, it says the site would be allowed to retrieve notes. Anyone know if it's doing any storing or able to see note content on their side? 

Good question.  On the face of it you're no better and no worse off using this site - where you log in to a web page and get shown a random note from your account - than Evernote Web which shows you all your notes.  It wasn't developed here though,  so you'd need to ask on GitHub or talk to Forte Labs for the security aspects.

• 2 years later...

This is a really promising tool but I'm having difficulty getting it to work the way I'd expect. There are filters to show "any PARA" or "any PAR" -- which correspond to stacks named after Tiago Forte's "PARA" system (Projects, Areas, Resources, Archives) but they don't seem to work right.

And the AppleScript version doesn't work for me either - I keep getting syntax errors. (Same with the shorter AppleScript shared above.) Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work and have any tips, either on using the web version or getting AppleScript to run properly (OS X 11.6)?