New build (6.17.6.8292) buggy & completely unusable on my PC

Hi all! Please help me :)

I updated Evernote Basic to last version - 6.17.6.8292 (308292) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539). And after that the application don't upload notes - a process can't fiinshed and I see black screen (attached). 

I can't upload previous version on the official Evernote website - only last edition. What can I do for correct work?

My version of Windows is Windows 7 Max.

Screen.png

Just downloaded the latest update yesterday. DISASTER !!!!! All of my notes are black - I can't see any text, nothing. Meanwhile my mouse keeps flashing a circle fast and continuously, like it's trying to process something - whether I'm in Evernote or not. Closing the app doesn't stop the mouse-flashing, only going in through Cntrl-Alt-Del and shutting down the Evernote.exe process does - then things go back to normal.

I literally cannot see a single Note in the client app. All I see are Notes filled with black. In the attached pic, you can see in the middle pane that the Note actually has content (a map, in this case), but in the right pane, all I see is black. Same with every other note. 

Anyone know what's going on? Thanks,

Larry 

Screenshot 2019-01-28 15.45.30.png

Update: I did hear from Evernote on this issue. They're working on it, and in the mean time, disabling hardware acceleration does at least get the notes to show up.

Tools -> Options -> General -> uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration

-LF 

I am having a similar problem since the latest update. Notes are blank in full page mode. I can't create any new notes.

I am using Windows 10 on a laptop.

I have tried the advice:  Try disabling hardware acceleration: Tools -> Options -> General -> "[ ] Enable Hardware Acceleration". But it didn't help.

Anyone got any idea of how to solve the problem?

Hi, i have the same problem, black notes, high cpu, many evernotesubprocesses in taskmanager. After a while the note is visible, when going to another note the same happens again..

Disabling hardware acceleration fixed it

The new build is just buggy and bad. Even after fixing the problem by disabling hardware acceleration, having Evernote open or even having an Evernote process running on my computer with the app closed is leading to problems with other apps. I think Evernote needs to face the fact that this build is a mess and get a team on fixing the bugs and putting out a new release pronto.

• Level 5

Hi All,

As previously mentioned, please try the following on your Windows PC:

1. Select File > Exit to close Evernote
  2. Open the task manager to confirm Evernote is not running as a background process (select "Evernote and End task")
  3. Open 'regedit' (Windows key + R, then type regedit)
  4. Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder
  5. Expand the "Software" folder
  6. Expand the Evernote Folder
  7. Click on the second "Evernote folder" so that a list of Values displays on the right
  8. Right-Click "EnableHardwareAcceleration"
  9. Select "Modify"
  10. Set Hexidecimal Value to "0"
  11. Select File>Exit to exit the Registry Editor
  12. Reopen Evernote

Please let me know if the issue continues after completing the steps above.

Completely agree with JBenson. This "solution" is utterly ridiculous. Evernote: release a new, working version of Evernote or say goodbye to your customer base. No one has time to futz around with regedit and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. We have businesses to run and things to do; we're not paying Evernote to spend our day doing DIY software patches.

1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

As previously mentioned, please try the following on your Windows PC:

1. Select File > Exit to close Evernote
  2. Open the task manager to confirm Evernote is not running as a background process (select "Evernote and End task")
  3. Open 'regedit' (Windows key + R, then type regedit)
  4. Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder
  5. Expand the "Software" folder
  6. Expand the Evernote Folder
  7. Click on the second "Evernote folder" so that a list of Values displays on the right
  8. Right-Click "EnableHardwareAcceleration"
  9. Select "Modify"
  10. Set Hexidecimal Value to "0"
  11. Select File>Exit to exit the Registry Editor
  12. Reopen Evernote

Please let me know if the issue continues after completing the steps above.

You dont need to go to the registry, just go to extra/options/General and disable Hardware acceleration. This gives the same result. For my System this works

The kluge provided in this thread does indeed make the notes not show up all black. But there's no getting around the basic unreadiness of the client app. Since the new release, when I open evernote, my computer freezes for about 30 seconds - can't do anything; mouse frozen in place.

This release wasn't ready for prime time. Evernote needs to get on this.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mhe said:

You dont need to go to the registry, just go to extra/options/General and disable Hardware acceleration. This gives the same result. For my System this works

I was bit by this as well and can confirm as well that Tools -> Options -> Enable Hardware Acceleration (deselected) will fix the problem.  You don't need to mess with regedit.

Just want to jump in here with a similar problem that is corrected but the info might be useful.

Evernote version is 6.17.6.8292 (308292) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539)

Computer info: A 2018 microsoft Surface Pro running up to date Win10 Pro.

When using the regular evernote Windows app, if I open a new note, the text immediately looks extremely strange, more like what you see in a web-browser than a text editor, fuzzy as if magnified.  My surface tablet main screen is set to 200X, which is the default setting for them. I moved the evernote window to a different screen but that didn't help any problems. Keyboard arrow movements work fine but

1. mouse clicks don't work, won't place the cursor at the point clicked, seems to be acting like the text it made up of large blocks, click in that block and the cursor doesn't move, click outside of it and the cursor jumps to a new position. (I want to be clear, there are no blocks visible, it's just acting like as if it couldn't see the individual letters)

2. Lines don't break/advance to next line, and run off the screen.

3. Can't use a slider to scroll off-screen to see that text either,in fact there is no slider.

4. The 'pick a template' icon that is in the main body of  a new note, that icon/button doesn't work or respond at all.

Turning off hardware acceleration in the app settings seemed to fix it so far.

So for anyone having a similar problem, give that a try before being told to 'uninstall, delete, back up, rollback, then  reinstall 3X while holding a rabbit's foot'.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:27 AM, triora said:

Hi all! Please help me :)

I updated Evernote Basic to last version - 6.17.6.8292 (308292) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539). And after that the application don't upload notes - a process can't fiinshed and I see black screen (attached). 

I can't upload previous version on the official Evernote website - only last edition. What can I do for correct work?

My version of Windows is Windows 7 Max.

Screen.png

I had exactly the same problem, same version, Win 7 Professional.

Disable HW Accel seems to cure this.

Dear Evernote developers: Please ensure adequate testing before releasing !!!!!!

• Level 5

Agreed, this hardware acceleration bug should never have gotten out the door. There surely should have been enough quality control testing to catch something that egregious.

But OTOH, however bad it may seem to us, we don't know that there is no testing or QC going on. Also, there are forum posts when betas are released, and users who wish to beta test have an opportunity to provide feedback at that point (before general release).

I held on at v. 6.7.6 for a very long time, precisely because subsequent updates were often so bad. But I started updating again with v. 6.15, by which time most of the worst bugs had been fixed and the program was usable again (for me, at least).

When Evernote is updated, the installation file is saved in C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\AutoUpdate. Older files are not deleted (I have one going back to v. 5.8.1.6061). I also copy them to another location for safekeeping, so that it's possible to roll back if a particular upgrade breaks something badly.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

When Evernote is updated, the installation file is saved in C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\AutoUpdate. Older files are not deleted (I have one going back to v. 5.8.1.6061)

Hmmm, the only versions I am seeing in that folder are 5.8.x (6 total).  Nothing newer, so maybe this has changed?

• Level 5
15 hours ago, CalS said:

At some point the download file was deleted from the AutoUpdate folder after the install.  A ways back, don't remember when.

Hmm, that's evidently not what I'm experiencing. I do take care to copy them to another folder, but I don't see why that would keep them in AutoUpdate. Perhaps there is something in the manner of doing an update? A "download" vs. just "install" option?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hmm, that's evidently not what I'm experiencing. I do take care to copy them to another folder, but I don't see why that would keep them in AutoUpdate. Perhaps there is something in the manner of doing an update? A "download" vs. just "install" option?

Got me.  I now either download from the website or make a copy before starting the install.  IAC, the file disappears in my AutoUpdate folder.  🤷‍♂️

• 2 months later...

Archived