Jump to content
ConnieN

Desktop icon not working after last update

Recommended Posts

My desktop icon is not working to open Evernote after the last update. How can I get my shortcut icon back and working on my Dell laptop?

Share this post


Link to post

Depending upon your version of Windows, go to Programs, look for Evernote, select More and go to file location.  Then send to desktop as a shortcut.  Windows stuff.

Share this post


Link to post

I went to my Control Panel and found Programs and Features, Evernote v.6.17.6 is listed there, installed 1/27/2019. I don't see an option to select More to go to file location. My option on this page is to uninstall it.

Share this post


Link to post

Wrong place.  Try this.  Type Evernote into the search bar next to the Windows logo.  Right click on Evernote and select Open File Location.  Right click on the Evernote there and click on Send to and select Desktop (create shortcut).

Also, when EN is running you can right click on the icon in the task bar and select Pin to task bar.  Then you don't need a desktop icon.

Share this post


Link to post

I followed your instructions and it created another shortcut icon, which doesn't work either. The icon has an upward pointing blue arrow on the lower left, and 2 blue arrows pointing at each other on the top right. Nothing happens when I click the icon

Share this post


Link to post

Hmmn.  Can you start Evernote from your Start menu?  Which version of Windows do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ConnieN said:

Nothing happens when I click the icon

Use Task Manager and see if the Evernote process is "stuck". Kill any Evernote/EvernoteTray/EvernoteSubprocess instances (or reboot Windows). The shortcut should work after that. (Sometimes EN gets stuck while closing - but the window has gone away so it looks like it's gone. But it's still enough alive that the mutex prevents another instance from starting.)

Share this post


Link to post

I got onto to the chat support this afternoon, the agent told me they'd released a Beta version by mistake, we uninstalled the updated version and he gave me a link to reinstall an earlier version. I'm back up and running again. I got the same message asking me if I wanted to upgrade and when I looked at the version # it was the Beta version again so I passed on it.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having the same problem on my dell desktop...Windows 10. I tried all the suggestions to no avail!

Share this post


Link to post

Bump, because this is super annoying. Evernote's pin in my Start Menu and/or on taskbar just looks like a blank ugly default icon and stands out from all my other apps. I've loved Evernote for a while and customer service have always been good to me, but man the glitches get irritating after a while, especially since we get so many updates that rarely seem necessary on the surface but end up causing weird annoyances.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, EmeraldBixby said:

Evernote's pin in my Start Menu and/or on taskbar just looks like a blank ugly default icon and stands out from all my other apps

Hi.  Has this been the case for a while,  or did it appear recently after one of those updates?  Best usual fix is to backup the database folder,  uninstall Evernote,  restart and reinstall.  Meantime Evernote can easily be started from the Start menu,  and if you want to replace that icon,  try right-clicking the icon and 'remove from start menu',  then find the program file in your list of apps and right-click it and 'add to start menu' to replace the shortcut.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, EmeraldBixby said:

Bump, because this is super annoying. Evernote's pin in my Start Menu and/or on taskbar just looks like a blank ugly default icon and stands out from all my other apps.

Hey, don't be icon-shaming Evernote!! Besides: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Has this been the case for a while,  or did it appear recently after one of those updates?  Best usual fix is to backup the database folder,  uninstall Evernote,  restart and reinstall.  Meantime Evernote can easily be started from the Start menu,  and if you want to replace that icon,  try right-clicking the icon and 'remove from start menu',  then find the program file in your list of apps and right-click it and 'add to start menu' to replace the shortcut.

Actually, the fix is easier. Just unpin the blank icon. And re-pin. Officially, Microsoft does not allow access to changing user choices (pinning is one), so the installer doesn't try to do nefarious things like other installers (Firefox!) do. Since the underlying exe has changed, MS no longer considers the previous pin a valid shortcut.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dcon said:

Actually, the fix is easier...

Darn.  Never occurred to me that the 'switch it off / switch it back on' thing applied to icons and links too...  😉

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Darn.  Never occurred to me that the 'switch it off / switch it back on' thing applied to icons and links too...  😉

It's been that way since the blue screen of death days...  The below bring back memories?

Windows_9X_BSOD.png.8a2e7806dbd205115782d5b872da607d.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

AAArrrgh!!! 😲 Don't DO that!  I still get flashbacks...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...