The new update took over Windows+A global shortcut

so I got my evernote for window updated yesterday, and surprisingly most of my global built in windows shortcuts are no more working, all taken over by the damn evernote global shortcuts

for example Windows Key+A which is supposed to open the windows Action bar center is now assigned to evernote and no way to assign it back to the original windows shortcut.

I tried to change or disable the shortcut in evernote but it didn't make a difference, 

My question is did the ***** developers/product managers pick these shortcuts randomly? did they bother to ***** research what windows built in shortcuts are? before overriding it with the stupid evernote shortcuts???

it is a pure STUPID, how can you roll such change to thousands of users without worrying about it? do you think people have evernote as the one only and main app on their systems? don't you have any power users who uses windows shortcuts in their daily use??? WTF!!

2019-01-27_15-11-38.png

• Level 5*

Win+A still works fine and opens the action center for me, even though Win+A appears as the short cut in EN.  Tried rebooting your machine to see if the issue clears?

Oh great. Another of our default hotkeys has been hijacked by Microsoft... sigh. (Whoever registers the hotkey first gets it. Windows has an advantage there.)

did they bother research what windows built in shortcuts are? 

Yes. Yes, we did. And then MS released an new version of Windows and here we are.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I haven't researched this (I'm not that lazy; it's just that I'm just about to head out from work), but is there an API to determine who owns a particular hotkey? In which case, you could warn a user, or at least have a chance to, warn them that the configured hotkey is already taken. 

57 minutes ago, jefito said:

is there an API to determine who owns a particular hotkey?

No. All you can do is try to register it. If it fails, someone has it. The way people figure out "who" has it - use taskmgr and kill processes until the hotkey is released.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dconnet said:

Oh great. Another of our default hotkeys has been hijacked by Microsoft... sigh. (Whoever registers the hotkey first gets it. Windows has an advantage there.)

did they bother research what windows built in shortcuts are? 

Yes. Yes, we did. And then MS released an new version of Windows and here we are.

how did they hijack it if it was working with previous versions of evernote?? also don't you have to follow what newer versions of windows uses in the first place and change your hotkeys if needed? I don't understand your argument? your app is installed on top of the OS, so you hijacked the shortcut not the other way around!!

5 hours ago, CalS said:

Win+A still works fine and opens the action center for me, even though Win+A appears as the short cut in EN.  Tried rebooting your machine to see if the issue clears?

it was working for me until the last update from evernote late last week

2 hours ago, jefito said:

I haven't researched this (I'm not that lazy; it's just that I'm just about to head out from work), but is there an API to determine who owns a particular hotkey? In which case, you could warn a user, or at least have a chance to, warn them that the configured hotkey is already taken. 

so far I did not find any api nor registry keys to roll it back to the original pristine windows config

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, dconnet said:

No. All you can do is try to register it. If it fails, someone has it. The way people figure out "who" has it - use taskmgr and kill processes until the hotkey is released.

But if RegisterHotkey() fails, that would be likely a sign that it's been previously taken (maybe depending on what GetLastError() says), so a user warning might be possible. But maybe if the RegisterHotKey() happens in the tray process (guessing here), it's not convenient for user notification? Or this could all be off-base -- this isn't in my realm, the applications I've worked on don't need global hotkeys or task bar notification doodads, so I've never dug in there. Bummer that Windows swiped one of your default hotkeys out from under you though.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

But maybe if the RegisterHotKey() happens in the tray process (guessing here)

Yes.

15 hours ago, Sam_CLE said:

how did they hijack it if it was working with previous versions of evernote??

Windows did not originally use Win+A. I'm not sure what version of Windows that came in with, but it's recent.

We have a bug in our backlog to change all the hotkeys to remove the Win modifier. In the meantime, users are free to pick whatever key combination they want in the Options dialog.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, dconnet said:

Yes.

Windows did not originally use Win+A. I'm not sure what version of Windows that came in with, but it's recent.

We have a bug in our backlog to change all the hotkeys to remove the Win modifier. In the meantime, users are free to pick whatever key combination they want in the Options dialog.

well if you consider windows 10 which was first released in July of 2015 recent then I agree, but it is not, and changing the shortcut of evernote is not a solution cause there is no way to revert back to the original windows state, at least I couldn't find a way so far. the right solution is you find a fix and include it in the next update of evernote to correct the problem(add it to your backlog stories), or at least provide a way to revert the action center shortcut back. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, jefito said:

But if RegisterHotkey() fails, that would be likely a sign that it's been previously taken (maybe depending on what GetLastError() says), so a user warning might be possible. But maybe if the RegisterHotKey() happens in the tray process (guessing here), it's not convenient for user notification? Or this could all be off-base -- this isn't in my realm, the applications I've worked on don't need global hotkeys or task bar notification doodads, so I've never dug in there. Bummer that Windows swiped one of your default hotkeys out from under you though.

not sure what all these speculation are but it is not making sense if you have any windows application experience, same applies to the task manager and killing processes, 

FYI: In a future update (currently targeted at 6.18.Beta2), the default hotkeys will be updated to remove any Win modifiers.

These will be:
CreateNewNote: ctrl+alt+N (current default)
FindInEvernote: ctrl+shift+F (new, current win+F)
CaptureScreen: ctrl+alt+S (new, current win+S)
CopySelection: ctrl+shift+alt+A (new, current win+A)
PasteClipboard: ctrl+alt+V (current default)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, dconnet said:

FYI: In a future update (currently targeted at 6.18.Beta2), the default hotkeys will be updated to remove any Win modifiers.

These will be:
CreateNewNote: ctrl+alt+N (current default)
FindInEvernote: ctrl+shift+F (new, current win+F)
CaptureScreen: ctrl+alt+S (new, current win+S)
CopySelection: ctrl+shift+alt+A (new, current win+A)
PasteClipboard: ctrl+alt+V (current default)

Will it still be possible to use the Win key if desired? I'm still on Windows 7, and I use the Win key for Evernote shortcuts. This is mainly because I use a specialized word processor, Nota Bene, that makes heavy use of keyboard shortcuts for a wide variety of functions. Thus I have customized my EN shortcuts to use the Win key:

Nota Bene
My Evernote shortcuts
ctrl+alt+N = ñ
New Note: Win+N
ctrl+shift+F = specialized word search
Find in EN: Win+shift+F
ctrl+alt+S = š
Capture Screen: Win+PrintScreen
ctrl+shift+alt+A = Á
Copy Selection: ctrl+Win+C
ctrl+alt+V = NB ç
Paste Clipboard: ctrl+Win+V

On 1/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, dconnet said:

latest Microsoft support info re keyboard shortcuts (sorry, cannot override .DE localization) status as per 2018-12-31.

No, Microsoft did not hijack what Evernote thought was theirs, simply because the OS takes priority. Always.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if Evernote finally got to grips with Windows. 

• 1 year later...