Interruption for Sync

Dick M

Idea

I use the Evernote every day. Almost always I will be in the midst of typing my thoughts for a note when everything stops and Evernote syncs. I cannot find settings for sync that allow me to create my note and instruct Evernote to sync when I am not in the midst of typing a note. I love the product but I do not like this behavior.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Dick M said:

Almost always I will be in the midst of typing my thoughts for a note when everything stops and Evernote syncs

The real mystery is why Evernote seems to be unable to do two things at once without impacting the user:  sync and typing.

Responding to typing requires only very low amount of CPU, and doing data transfer in the background is very old technology.  Many other apps, like Word and Excel, do very frequent auto-saves without any impact on the response of the UI to the user.  Why can't Evernote?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dick M said:

I use the Evernote every day. Almost always I will be in the midst of typing my thoughts for a note when everything stops and Evernote syncs. I cannot find settings for sync that allow me to create my note and instruct Evernote to sync when I am not in the midst of typing a note. I love the product but I do not like this behavior.

You can go to settings and change your sync frequency to something longer.  Also, go to Tools - Options - Note and increase Automatically saved edited note every .... seconds to something like 300 or 600.  There is also a Windows firewall rule you can create that will stop EN from syncing while it is invoked.  See it here https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe.

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

The real mystery is why Evernote seems to be unable to do two things at once without impacting the user:  sync and typing.

Responding to typing requires only very low amount of CPU, and doing data transfer in the background is very old technology.  Many other apps, like Word and Excel, do very frequent auto-saves without any impact on the response of the UI to the user.  Why can't Evernote?

That would be a solution for me. None of the obvious settings work, so I just expect that at some point in my typing I will be forced to wait while the sync is in progress. Frustrating.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

You can go to settings and change your sync frequency to something longer.  Also, go to Tools - Options - Note and increase Automatically saved edited note every .... seconds to something like 300 or 600.  There is also a Windows firewall rule you can create that will stop EN from syncing while it is invoked.  See it here https://www.evernote.com/shard/s186/sh/ec05ed88-ae37-457d-b188-399615a71449/00e5278c5643d9fe.

It would seem like those ideas would work but I have tried them and still I must stop my data entry while I wait for a sync to complete.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Dick M said:

It would seem like those ideas would work but I have tried them and still I must stop my data entry while I wait for a sync to complete.

The firewall hack works.  You invoke it with a batch command (double click on the desktop for me) and then turn it off by entering a character after you are done editing in the window that gets opened.  Or it just cycles the time window you use.  A PITA to need to do it, but not that hard and it will eliminate the while you are typing freezes.  Better that EN fix the issue in the first place, but in the meantime...

Archived