Fastest way to set up a reminder in a note?

Is there a faster way to set up a Reminder for a note than: 

1. click on the ellipsis ... 

2. Add reminder...

3. click Add Date

4. click on date in calendar. 

I use Reminders for almost all the notes I have (I use EN mainly has a sales tickler file, where each note is the name of a business colleague or prospect). 

Would love to know if there's a way to speed up setting up each Reminder. 

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, tuqqer said:

Would love to know if there's a way to speed up setting up each Reminder. 

I use scripting on a Mac (Applescript)
For example, this is a screenshot generated with command-option-R
FA7F4A8E-BFAC-42FC-A1FA-8CC35FAC8484.png.ed1ed43c06935e142e60b6e481ae67fb.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
45 minutes ago, tuqqer said:

Is that script you've built something you can share? 

Here's the complete script for FA7F4A8E-BFAC-42FC-A1FA-8CC35FAC8484.png.ed1ed43c06935e142e60b6e481ae67fb.png.a6b4966ba351f4e9764736758131a1ae.png

Evernote_Reminders.scpt

Explanation of the code is

1. Identify the reminder date                  set reminderDate to to date ((text returned of (display dialog "Reminder Date" default answer (yyyymmdd & " 8:00 am"))))
  2. Identify the current selected notes   tell application "Evernote"
                                                                          set
    theNotes to get selection
  3. Process the notes                                      repeat with theNote in theNotes

set reminder time of theNote to reminderDate
                                                                            end repeat

end tell  
  • 2 months later...

Hi DTLow

Not sure if you are familiar with Hazel or not. I'm trying to add a line to set a reminder to pay a bill which is passed in from Hazel as an input attribute. After a lot of searching I was unable to find any exact examples for a noob like me to copy and paste. My current script looks like this but it does not work, this is my first attempt at modifying an existing script. Can you help?

tell application "Evernote"
	activate (create note from file theFile notebook {"Statements"} tags {"Tag1", "Tag2", "Tag3"})
	set reminder time of theNote to "Due Date"
	synchronize
end tell

This is the value which is passed to the script (embedded type) by Hazel.

Hazel.png.e8fdc77c61d5fd753fd905cb3e5440a0.png

What am I missing in my script?

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, mpacker said:

My current script looks like this but it does not work, this is my first attempt at modifying an existing script. Can you help?

I'm not too familiar with Hazel, but I'm seeing problems with the code
For example; set reminder time of theNote to "Due Date"
- theNote is not defined
- a date field is being set to a text value

My coding would be

set dueDate to item 1 of inputAttributes

activate

set theNote to create note from file theFile notebook "Statements" tags {"Tag1", "Tag2", "Tag3"}

set reminder time of theNote to dueDate

synchronize
end tell

• Thanks 1

This is awesome! I totally ignored the point about defining which input attribute.

I have made a little change which sets the reminder to the day before, just in case I get too busy on that day.

set dueDate to ((item 1 of inputAttributes) - 1)
	activate
	set theNote to create note from file theFile notebook "Statements" tags {"Tag1", "Tag2", "Tag3"}
	set reminder time of theNote to dueDate
	synchronize
end tell

Thank you very much, this will really improve my workflow and helps me think of other things I can do with Hazel and Evernote.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2019 at 5:07 AM, DTLow said:

Here's the complete script for FA7F4A8E-BFAC-42FC-A1FA-8CC35FAC8484.png.ed1ed43c06935e142e60b6e481ae67fb.png.a6b4966ba351f4e9764736758131a1ae.png

Evernote_Reminders.scpt 5.58 kB · 15 downloads

Explanation of the code is

1. Identify the reminder date                  set reminderDate to to date ((text returned of (display dialog "Reminder Date" default answer (yyyymmdd & " 8:00 am"))))
  2. Identify the current selected notes   tell application "Evernote"
                                                                          set
    theNotes to get selection
  3. Process the notes                                      repeat with theNote in theNotes

set reminder time of theNote to reminderDate
                                                                            end repeat

end tell  

Thanks This is awesome, adapting your code and got it to work with Alfred. 

• 4 years later...

Using the most recent version of Evernote (I've been using with appreciation your script on my older retained version of Evernote for years!) I get: "syntax error": A property can’t go after this identifier, with "reminder time" from the script highlighted. Would you help please? [MacOs Monterey 12.2.1]

• Level 5

We advise actively against using the legacy client since the new RTE syncing was released.

Old and new sync use different data structures, and the conversion puts additional stress on system resources. Furthermore mistakes are more likely.

There is no scripting in v10, and that’s it. If you rely on scripts, move to another product. Apple Script is supported by Apple Notes and Devonthink, just to name a few.

The only way you can now script EN is to use generic text expanders/hot key software. Unfortunately the design of the input box for all dates (including reminder dates) makes adding a date very difficult to automate.