Jump to content
ab1kenobee

WIN EN Links (NON-CLICKABLE)

Recommended Posts

Hello, Members:

Sometime in the last week...

ALL  WIN EN external links have become UNCLICKABLE (broken, non-functional)... and therefore do NOT open in Chrome browser.

Workaround: Have to COPY link > paste in browser.

 

A FIX (as close to yesterday as possible) would sure be appreciated.  ;)

Thanks much in advance!

~ Alan

Share this post


Link to post

Which Evernote version are you using? I see links working fine in 6.17.3.8255 (308255) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.0.7477)

Can you post an example of a link that's not working?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm using the same version as @ab1kenobee, and not seeing any problem with links opening in Opera. Could it be a Chrome problem? I'd suggest completely closing Evernote (File > Exit; the red X box just closes the interface) and restarting, or even rebooting the computer. Weird glitches like this sometimes get fixed by cleaning the program out of memory and starting over.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello, @Dave-in-Decatur :

Thanks for getting back.

I have rebooted Chrome, Evernote and Windows multiple times...

EN links still not functional.

THX.  ~ Alan

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

As far as I know, there have been no code changes around links... If you right-click over the link and select 'Edit' from the context menu, does the link appear to be ok? I'm wondering if somehow the link's actual link got changed...

If that appears ok, then I suspect some OS setting was changed that's blocking it... (no idea what - maybe some other program hijacked the default http/https protocol?)

(My links are opening in Chrome)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

 

21 hours ago, dconnet said:

...If you right-click over the link and select 'Edit' from the context menu, does the link appear to be ok? 

 

If that appears ok, then I suspect some OS setting was changed that's blocking it... (no idea what - maybe some other program hijacked the default http/https protocol?)

(My links are opening in Chrome)

 

Hello, @dconnet:

Thanks for getting back.

  • LINK CONFIRMED OK (R-click > Edit)
  • NO issues yet discovered with link functionality in other WIN applications, incl. Chrome.

This is the 2ND time I have encountered this particular issue with WIN EN.

Any more ideas???  ;)

THX.  ~ Alan

 

UPDATE:
I just updated WIN EN to:  6.17.5.8273 (308273) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539)
FYI:  Disfunctional link issue still persists

I have also cleared Chrome CACHE... shut down laptop... issue still persists

In addition, here is a G-SEARCH | evernote links not working
This well documents a LINK functionality problem for many EN users.

Thanks much for the assistance!

Share this post


Link to post

Let me ask you this:  Is Chrome set as your default browser? If it is, you may want to try to re-register it as a default. Sometimes it might affect your ability to open the URLs in the browser. Good luck.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello, @keisoko,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Your hunch is CORRECT... much appreciate!

1. I did a G-SEARCH | reregister Chrome as default browser |

2. I followed instructions of this video to reregister Chrome.

3. I changed default browser to Edge:
- EN external links open without issue in MS Edge...

4. I change again default browser to Chrome:
EN external links did  not open in reregistered Chrome.

 

ALSO: I am now going to research this ARTICLE: 
“Google Chrome is unresponsive, relaunch now” [Fix]


So this does appear to be a Chrome issue... however I much prefer using Chrome over Edge.

Any SUGGESTIONS on how to FIX this Chrome issue?...( because Chrome did work previously).

 

Thank you much in advance!

~ Alan

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

So this does appear to be a Chrome issue... however I much prefer using Chrome over Edge.

You could try the Brave browser, look and feel of Chrome but it is faster with some nice ad blocking built in, and reportedly better privacy.  I've been using Brave for some months now without issue.  YMMV.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Hello, @CalS.

Appreciate.

I will look into the PROS and CONS of the Brave browser and get back with an update.

THX.  ~ Alan

You are welcome.  End of the day, not much risk in downloading and giving it a go.  Only investment is in some time to establish your settings. 

Again, my personal experience across the last six months or so has been very positive.  Can't sync settings across devices, but other than that works like a charm for my use case.  Good luck!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/20/2019 at 2:12 PM, keisoko said:

Let me ask you this:  Is Chrome set as your default browser? If it is, you may want to try to re-register it as a default. Sometimes it might affect your ability to open the URLs in the browser. Good luck.

Thank you. That worked for me. I went into my Chrome settings to look for anything that might be causing the issue. I immediately noticed a section that asked if I wanted to set Chrome as my default browser. It turns out that I no longer had a default browser set. Maybe a Windows or Chrome update had removed the default. Now that I have the default browser set, I can open external links. 😀

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, CalS said:

You are welcome.  End of the day, not much risk in downloading and giving it a go.  Only investment is in some time to establish your settings. 

Again, my personal experience across the last six months or so has been very positive.  Can't sync settings across devices, but other than that works like a charm for my use case.  Good luck!

Howdy, @CalS:

Appreciate much... am good to go with install today...
especially after finding there's a PORTABLE version available:
(G-SEARCH | brave browser portable)

 

FYI:  Will report if Brave resolves external link issue I'm having.

THX!  Alan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/23/2019 at 12:28 AM, AverySays said:

Thank you. That worked for me. I went into my Chrome settings to look for anything that might be causing the issue. I immediately noticed a section that asked if I wanted to set Chrome as my default browser. It turns out that I no longer had a default browser set. Maybe a Windows or Chrome update had removed the default. Now that I have the default browser set, I can open external links. 😀

Thank you to: @AverySays :

"Default browser: Google Chrome is your default browser

I have switched MS Edge with Chrome and vice-versa...
RESULT:  WIN EN external links still do not open in reregistered Chrome.

Appreciate the tip... Got any more? LOL!

THX.  ~ Alan

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Howdy, @CalS:

Appreciate much... am good to go with install today...
especially after finding there's a PORTABLE version available:
(G-SEARCH | brave browser portable)

 

FYI:  Will report if Brave resolves external link issue I'm having.

THX!  Alan


Howdy, @CalS:

After reading many reviews on Brave browser... I'm inclined NOT to install it because of the LIMITATION it places on extensions... many of which I need.

External LINK Issue still not resolved.

THX.  ~ Alan

Share this post


Link to post

 

Quote

1/10/2019 8:05 PM - CalS said - POST
I think the path to the cookies is Settings - Advanced - Content Settings - Cookies - See all cookies and site data - evernote.com.  I guess if you don't see the enAppInstalled cookie you can just remove them all and see if it resets.
 


@CalS... I just followed these instructions...

External LINK Issue still not resolved.

THX.  ~ Alan

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Howdy, @CalS:

After reading many reviews on Brave browser... I'm inclined NOT to install it because of the LIMITATION it places on extensions... many of which I need.

External LINK Issue still not resolved.

THX.  ~ Alan

I don't use that many extensions so works fine for me (EN Clipper, Awesome Screenshot, LastPass).  Ah well, good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Howdy, @CalS and Members:

I just found (2) articles which spell unfortunate news for Chromium users who utilize ad blocking as I do:

I hope this proves helpful.

~ Alan

 

The more things change....   

IAC, I use a VPN with ad blocking built in, so what Brave does in that regard is not critical.  Brave is just faster at this point in time.  I suppose when FF or Chrome get faster I'll start using them again.  Not a biggie, for me anyway.  🤷‍♂️

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, CalS said:

The more things change....   

IAC, I use a VPN with ad blocking built in, so what Brave does in that regard is not critical.  Brave is just faster at this point in time.  I suppose when FF or Chrome get faster I'll start using them again.  Not a biggie, for me anyway.  🤷‍♂️

 

@ CalS :

10-4. Understood.

Based on the following (3) article paragraphs (below)... I am going to support Firefox Quantum's priority for SUBSCRIBERS first.

Thank you for thinking out loud with me. Appreciate. :)

~ Alan

 

Chrome’s Dominant Market Share Gives Google Power

Google has been pushing the boundaries on their browsers, by allowing more overt surveillance to show itself to end-users. We saw it in late 2018 when Google forced users to sign in to Chrome when they signed to any Google services like Gmail. The market dominance of Chrome (and Chromium) is what allows Google to make bad changes with impunity.

Other browsers like Mozilla Firefox have recently made significant leaps forward in speed and efficiency. Firefox is open-source and developed to be fast and responsible. It respects your privacy and doesn’t limit what you can do. If you like uBlock Origin and uMatrix, those extensions will continue to exist on the free and open web.

If this is the last straw for you as a Chromium browser user, feel free to check out our Firefox Hardening Guide to see how to make Firefox more private and safer than Chrome.

SOURCE | Chromium to Weaken Ad-Blockers – Impacts Chrome, Edge and Brave Browsers |

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

You are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Howdy, @CalS:

I have not yet replaced Chrome...
EN external links still not functional...

 


I just found this article about Brave that may be of interest:

Brave Browser Sacrifices Security
https://securityboulevard.com/2019/02/brave-browser-sacrifices-security/

 

I'm sorry to see this unfavorable news when user hopes have been so high.

Alan
 

Not a Facebook user, so meh for me.  Don't know what other sites were white listed.  End of the day, kind of like tallest short person in the room.  All browsers have a foible of some sort, to someone.  I still use FF in addition to Brave.  Very rarely Chrome, resource hog that it is.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Not a Facebook user, so meh for me.  Don't know what other sites were white listed.  End of the day, kind of like tallest short person in the room.  All browsers have a foible of some sort, to someone.  I still use FF in addition to Brave.  Very rarely Chrome, resource hog that it is.


10-4. Understood.

Interesting article just the same.  ,)

Alan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...