Why is my Evernote sync between 3 computers always going wrong?

Goofy

Idea

So far, I am using three computers, a PC from company, a PC from home and a laptop.

But the sync between these computers is often incorrect.

It looks out of sync, like I am writing an artical off and on.

Yesterday, I was doing it from PC_A and finish the sync. I can confirm the sync in the website version.

However, I sync it in my PC_B today. Although it prompted me that it's complete, but I can't see anything new content in the article???

This has happened more then once! The last time I added a "space" on my PC_B, and the previous day's new contents were lost. :( :(:(

I will be very appreciate if anyone could tell me how to force sync in the evernote. :):D:D

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  As you appreciate,  your PCs don't sync direct,  they each sync to the server; and if one device syncs and then another,  the second will be brought up to date with the first,  but the first PC will not receive an update from the second until the next time it syncs.  If all the devices are switched on all the time,  this should work fairly well - Evernote's default settings will sync each machine at regular intervals.  If one or other device has been switched off,  the next sync should be when that device is restarted.  (All of this assumes you're using the installed desktop version on each device.  The browser-based service is -or should be-  always 'up to date' with changes made online.)

The installed app has a 'sync' button on the toolbar,  and provided this is pressed both before and after each edit on any device,  there 'should' be no problems.  If one or other device is not sending changes to,  or receiving changes from the server,  this is a syncing issue with that machine. If you don't see the sync icon,  try customizing the toolbar to add it.

How to troubleshoot syncing issues

On 1/17/2019 at 5:26 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  As you appreciate,  your PCs don't sync direct,  they each sync to the server; and if one device syncs and then another,  the second will be brought up to date with the first,  but the first PC will not receive an update from the second until the next time it syncs.  If all the devices are switched on all the time,  this should work fairly well - Evernote's default settings will sync each machine at regular intervals.  If one or other device has been switched off,  the next sync should be when that device is restarted.  (All of this assumes you're using the installed desktop version on each device.  The browser-based service is -or should be-  always 'up to date' with changes made online.)

The installed app has a 'sync' button on the toolbar,  and provided this is pressed both before and after each edit on any device,  there 'should' be no problems.  If one or other device is not sending changes to,  or receiving changes from the server,  this is a syncing issue with that machine. If you don't see the sync icon,  try customizing the toolbar to add it.

How to troubleshoot syncing issues

Thanks Gazumped,

I can understand everything you told me, including the sync principle and sync button.

But the problem still here.

Now my situation is that I created note 1, 2, 3. Note 1 is the one that can't be sync. It's not sync yet. But note 2 and 3 that I created later are sync successful.

And then, later on my third computer, I was able to sync the note 1.

Maybe one day I need to uninstall my evernote and try again.

Is there any other way to just delete the database and re-sync?

Many thanks! :D

• Level 5*

If you're on Windows* and have no notes on your local machine that need to sync UP to the server,  and no Local Notebooks,  then rebuilding your database is pretty easy: 

• open Evernote and go to Tools > Options > General to open your database folder in Windows Explorer
  • File > Exit Evernote to close it down,  then rename your database folder to databases.old
  • restart Evernote and get a beverage of your choice - the new database will be downloaded from the server

Depending on the size of your database,  this can take a while - minutes or hours,  rather than days - but you don't want to be in a hurry to look anything up for a short while.

* the Mac process is a bit more involved - I'm not a Mac user so you might want to wait for other comments here before going ahead!

Let us know how you get on.  😊

On 1/24/2019 at 12:27 AM, gazumped said:

If you're on Windows* and have no notes on your local machine that need to sync UP to the server,  and no Local Notebooks,  then rebuilding your database is pretty easy: 

• open Evernote and go to Tools > Options > General to open your database folder in Windows Explorer
  • File > Exit Evernote to close it down,  then rename your database folder to databases.old
  • restart Evernote and get a beverage of your choice - the new database will be downloaded from the server

Depending on the size of your database,  this can take a while - minutes or hours,  rather than days - but you don't want to be in a hurry to look anything up for a short while.

* the Mac process is a bit more involved - I'm not a Mac user so you might want to wait for other comments here before going ahead!

Let us know how you get on.  😊

Hi sir,

Thanks for your help. My systems are all Windows. Now it works.

Even though now I still don't know why my notes cannot be sync automatically, but clearing the database can help.

Thanks again! :):):):):)

Should I ask my question in this thread or start a new one?

I primarily use Evernote Web on PC (let's call this PC_web) and the Mac client directly downloaded from Evernote's website (let's call this Mac_client). Starting this month, I've been experiencing the following two issues:

1. After editing on PC_web, I turn on Mac_client and click the sync button. Even though there is the sync icon, the information in Mac client doesn't match web. I already uninstalled the client and installed the latest one from the website and the problem persists. When I edit the note in my Mac client and press sync, the information sometimes doesn't update in web.
  2. Images get broken with question mark image and don't recover. Each time I use Evernote, it seems like have the images become broken. This mostly happens on PC_web, so I cannot use a sync button.

@gazumped I did a couple more tests over the last few days. Now, when I open Evernote on Mac, occasionally, I will receive "?" images, but they recover after a while. Also, now edits on Mac_client make it to PC_web.

Archived