Extra line break above table

Andy Helms

Idea

When inserting a table into a note, a line break is automatically inserted immediately above and below the table. To be clear, I'm not talking about the extra white space that exist so there is space to display the dots, etc. when you edit the table. They are actual blank lines, as if I hit the enter button on my keyboard twice. I can replicate this experience on both the Windows 6.16 client and through the web client.

It seems like I can delete the extra line break after the table without problem, but the only way to get rid of the line break above the table is by inserting text on that line. That's fine if I'm using a table in the middle of note contents; however, if the note begins with the table--or if the table is the only content inside the note--I can't figure out how to get rid of that extra line break at the top.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't that big of a problem. It's just something I find really irritating, especially on notes where all of my information is contained inside a table. Can anyone confirm that this is either a bug or a feature, or is there a way to remove the extra line breaks that I haven't discovered yet.

Thanks!

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

"Feature" in my experience.  For whatever reason EN seems to want to have a blank line in addition to the table UI line in front of a table which is first up in a note.

• Level 5*

Bug or feature? Hard to say. It could possibly be there as a way to make navigation around tables easier code-wise, or maybe there's some UI reason to have it -- difficult to tell from outside the code bubble.

But if it's a bug, it'd probably be a pretty low-grade one. No data loss, very minor user  inconvenience, so importance would be pretty low, and if fixing it was non-trivial (i.e., if a lot of code was relying on that break being there), then that would tend to drop it way down the priority list.

When I encountered the behavior, I puzzled a bit, then just accepted that you can't remove the break and stopped worrying about it. Only want your information inside your table (my weekly work journal is a table), then don't put any in the line. Seems simple enough.

Short form:

11 hours ago, Andy Helms said:

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't that big of a problem.

38 minutes ago, jefito said:

Only want your information inside your table (my weekly work journal is a table), then don't put any in the line. Seems simple enough.

I don't disagree. I just wanted to confirm whether or not this was expected behavior or if there was something I'm missing.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Andy Helms said:

I don't disagree. I just wanted to confirm whether or not this was expected behavior or if there was something I'm missing.

Unless an actual Evernote employee pops in, it's all just speculation on our part -- at least I've never seen any explanation. But if it's behavior you want to change, then one of us can move it to a feature request forum. Then again, there's this:

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, jefito said:

Unless an actual Evernote employee pops in, it's all just speculation on our part

I think we can confirm that if there is a table at the top of a note there will also be a blank line. The blank line's provenance on the other hand, the how come - for why so to speak, not so much.  ;)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I think we can confirm that if there is a table at the top of a note there will also be a blank line.

Um, I was actually commenting on the question of whether it's a bug or a feature is only open to speculation on our part, as we're not privy to the spec that it may or may not be afoul of...

Archived