Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×
Caipirinia

Cannot edit boundaries of scanned image

When scanning a sheet of paper, on iOS there is the option to manually specify the boundaries of the image. This is useful in case Evernote does not correctly recognizes the shape of the paper. However, on Android I don't see such an option. Is this by design or am I just not seeing how to enter the edit mode?

Hi. If you are adding a 'scan' with the document camera on manual,  tap the thumbnail image immediately after taking the shot(s) to get a choice of saving the image(s) as photo / document / color document / post-it / business card.  The icon at the top right of the screen selects between 'auto' when the camera detects the boundaries and 'manual' when you have more control over framing.  In both cases you have the same choices if you tap the thumbnail.

Where image boundaries are being detected badly,  the best option (IMHO) is to choose a manual shot and save as a picture,  when you can edit it later in the note to correct the boundaries.  If you save as a document,  you can "annotate" the document within the note to crop it.  In both cases it's a straight-lines crop - squares or rectangles only,  no distortion corrective angles.

Adobe Scan and MS Office Lens do autocorrect for distortions and both seem (again, MHO) to have better border and format recognition.

YMMV.

Hi gazumped and thanks for the reply.

The icon at the top right of the screen selects between 'auto' when the camera detects the boundaries and 'manual' when you have more control over framing. 

I cannot test this solution, because I did the follwoing:

• took a photo;
  • in top right corner tapped on the three dots;
  • a menu with several iteams appeared. The first option was called Multishot or something similar.
  • I deselected this option and began using the normal camera.

Now I don't have the three dots in the upper right corner anymore, as when I enter camera mode, I enter the native camera app and not the one from Evernote.