How do you get rid of Shared notes (shared with me by someone else)?

hanseric

Idea

I have a few notes that are in my Shared With Me section in the left nav of my EN.  Two of them are from a previous job. I'd like to get rid of them.

How do I do that? I can't seem to find any menu selection that let's me get rid of these notes.

• Like 3

57 replies to this idea

I should not be forced to see ~20 notebooks shared by someone that no longer uses the service. The notes are hidden from the interface because I deleted them, but the shared notebooks still appear in the web clipper. This is a minor annoyance for me.

Hey Evernote devs, we need to be able to force unsharing of a notebook from the receiving side.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*

This topic seems to be more like a feature request. Moving to an appropriate feature request forum (I think that General is best, since it applies to all Evernote applications, as far as I can tell (though the workaround is a Windows-only thingy).

Go ahead and upvote; I'll join you...

@hanseric, if you want to change the title to more reflect that it's a request rather than a how-doI?, that would be great.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK - I guess we'll have to hope the newer versions include a fix for this.  I seem to remember from one of the videos Evernote saying something about the original method of 'sharing' being a problem they were looking at...

On 4/7/2020 at 12:08 AM, jefito said:

This topic seems to be more like a feature request. Moving to an appropriate feature request forum (I think that General is best, since it applies to all Evernote applications, as far as I can tell (though the workaround is a Windows-only thingy).

@hanseric, if you want to change the title to more reflect that it's a request rather than a how-doI?, that would be great.

Where to upvote, please?

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Have you tried the simple stuff like signing out of Evernote and back in?

Did that...didn't work

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

If that fails,  go to the Shared With Me listing and right-click,  delete

When I right-click the notebook "workchat notes" in the "Shared with Me" folder from left panel - nothing, no menu appears, so no option to delete the 'notebook'

When I right click the visible note from the middle Note-list panel...there is a menu on right-click BUT not option to 'delete'

The only options to delete are, and with the note selected...  1) the delete icon in the tool-bar top-right... and 2)  From the main Menu > Edit > delete.  But again nothing! Failed to delete!?

and again did the sign-out sign-in thing...  whats the issue you think?  Also does the left-panel shared with me disappear if there's nothing in it? cheers

The answer from EverNote Support is YOU CAN'T DELETE THEM

You have to ask the person who shared the note with you, to revoke access...and I quote EN:

" you don't have an access to delete the notes that is shared with you by others.  The only option is to contact the person who owns that note and ask them to remove your access to the note "

See attached screen-shot of the EN-Support email-reply to my support ticket for their full answer.  Also attached is the image referred to...or link here

ScreenCap_01 Jan. 10, 2019.jpg

1.PNG

EDIT:  I just did a little more research on EN Help & learning pages re Work Chat Shared Notes and found some info that IMHO seems to contradict what they're saying so I have just replied to above ticket with a further question see attached. Will update once i get a response.

ScreenCap_03 Jan. 10, 2019.jpg

• Like 1

EN acknowledged that the article might be a little misleading and so will look at revising it. 

They re-iterated that the person who shared it is the only one who can revoke access and thereby remove a shared note from the shared with me section. 

I think it would be nice if we the recipients had the ability to delete these notes the same way "WhatsApp" (messaging app) allows me to 'delete for me' messages received from others.

Copy of EN reply attached below...

ScreenCap_01 Jan. 11, 2019.jpg

• Like 2

You can get rid of notes shared to you by someone else via a chat, i have just worked out the steps required to do it.

***This requires rebuilding your Database we do this by renaming our old one as we still have it just in-case***

*** Before doing any of the steps perform a Sync to backup your current notes ***

Steps are as follows:

1. Delete the Work chat that contains the shared note

2. Rename the Database that contains your notes

3. Sign back into your account and download your notes

Step 1. Go to "View" then go to "Work Chat" and in the list should be the Chats, delete the chat that the note was shared from

Step 2. Go to "Tools" then to go "Options" under "General" scroll down and look at "Evernote local files" and view the file path

image.png.aa21d39b62ccadfe7d41b94b5adf02a4.png

Go to the location in Windows and open the "Databases" folder and you should see your Database file the file will be named "yourevernoteaccountname.exb"

Close down Ever Note and rename the file and change .exb to .old if it does not let you, you need to either go into task manager and kill the Evernote process or restart your Machine. Renaming the Database extension to .old allows you to retain a backup of your notes just incase. The image below is a before and after for the one file and how the name should look.

evernote.png.b8fd0d631b52e8b8aaa049011c0ac27c.png

Step 3. Open Evernote, you will get a prompt asking for your password, click cancel and then go to "File" and "Add another user..." Sign into your account and perform a sync, you should download your notes and the shared note should now be gone.

image.png.ed3516fc61fe61f913ab52e84cdb29e6.png

Check and ensure you have all your notes, if you do go back to the file location in Windows and delete the database file you named to .old

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi @witherford - thanks for posting a detailed fix.  Users should be aware that if you use any Local (unsynced) Notebooks,  they are stored within the EXB file but they cannot be re-downloaded from Evernote.  Local notebooks exist only on a single device.  If you have local notebooks it's not possible to use this method of removing chat messages.

Plus I think you have an extra step at the end - once the EXB file is renamed to OLD,  opening Evernote will prompt it to ask you to sign in.  When you do so,  Evernote will rebuild the existing database from the server,  regardless of using the 'add another user' option.

• Like 1
On 1/11/2019 at 12:36 AM, RavBoy said:

EN acknowledged that the article might be a little misleading and so will look at revising it. 

They re-iterated that the person who shared it is the only one who can revoke access and thereby remove a shared note from the shared with me section. 

I think it would be nice if we the recipients had the ability to delete these notes the same way "WhatsApp" (messaging app) allows me to 'delete for me' messages received from others.

Copy of EN reply attached below...

ScreenCap_01 Jan. 11, 2019.jpg

Yea this whole evernote "glitch" is terrible. I can't believe they haven't created a fix for this

My usage of Evernote has decreased steadily over time and I think I will be leaving the platform altogether.  I can't easily see my own notes because it's flooded with things other people have shared with me that I can't delete.  You know how bad of a solution it is to make it my responsibility to track down everyone who has shared stuff with me and ask them to unshare/revoke privileges?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

So, leaving, eh - THIS is a very credible threat to EN - wait, how much did you contribute in the last time ? Oh zero, just System load for no bucks.

So since you are only flooded with stuff other people forced on you, not knowing why you joined this misery anyhow, sayonara and farewell ... THIS will make the notes go away for good, shared or not.

P.S. Yes, I think it should be possible for a user to get rid of stuff he does not want to see in his account, without talking to his ex-boss, ex-wife/husband, ex-whatever. But if not, the sun will raise tomorrow, take it easy, don’t worry, be happy etc.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, markus985 said:

Is there an option to push this so that it gets higher visibility by Evernote? That is extremely disturbing that shared notes cannot be deleted from the "Shared with Me" view.

Hi.  You're a subscriber,  so you could connect with Support and  give them your feedback direct,  but bear in  mind that they're currently working flat out on a major revision so while many fixes may be coming with that release we'll have to wait for the package as a whole.  It seems unlikely that this issue could be ignored - it is a basic flaw and there's been a fair amount of fuss about it...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  You're a subscriber,  so you could connect with Support and  give them your feedback direct,  but bear in  mind that they're currently working flat out on a major revision so while many fixes may be coming with that release we'll have to wait for the package as a whole.  It seems unlikely that this issue could be ignored - it is a basic flaw and there's been a fair amount of fuss about it...

Will do that - thanks for pointing that out. I hope the new editor will finally arrive on the Evernote client (mac) - different story.

• Like 1

Answer from the technical support team - which is ridiculous

The 'Shared with me' is a special view that shows all notes and notebooks that were shared with you by other Evernote users. This section can be viewed as an inbound sharing history. With the current application design, it is not possible to remove any items listed in the 'Share with me' view even if certain notes or notebooks are not longer shared with you or accessible. With that being said, you can hide the entire 'Share with me' view from the sidebar. To hide the Share with me section in Evernote for Mac, select View > Sidebar options > Shared with me (uncheck) from the menu bar.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, markus985 said:

which is ridiculous

Sorry,  did I miss a punchline?  You can hide the thing that annoys you by unticking an option.  Or you can leave it be.  Seems like an easy decision...

Granted Evernote's original architecture was designed a bit shortsightedly (or maybe it was about the tools they had then) but they are apparently currently changing that...

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sorry,  did I miss a punchline?  You can hide the thing that annoys you by unticking an option.  Or you can leave it be.  Seems like an easy decision...

Granted Evernote's original architecture was designed a bit shortsightedly (or maybe it was about the tools they had then) but they are apparently currently changing that...

I am not able to clean up notes or notebooks that got shared with me from the "Shared with me" view. I do not have access to those notes anymore. The permissions got retracted as I quit collaborating with the other party. That leaves me with a "Shared with me" view containing notes & notebooks that are actively shared with me and actually not shared with me anymore. Thus, it's only fair that I have a chance to get rid of those in my view. I think right now if I click on them I would even send a permission request to the note/notebook owner who retracted the permissions for a reason.

Hiding the entire view is not a solution & not a workaround either. 

Edit: On Android I cannot hide that view. Funny additional note - on Android the previously shared and retracted notes / notebooks are not shown

I also have shared files on my list where the permission has been removed. They are cluttering up and confusing me with whats available. This need to be fixed so that whenever a note has the sharing revoked that the file is automatically removed from the shared list. 

1 hour ago, Stuart Edwards said:

Evernote need to fix it so it's automatic. Your fix is long winded and needs to be repeated whenever you get a note that gets unshared. 

Yeah they do need to fix it, but it doesn't look like they are bothering.

So you will have to stick to my "long winded" fix which is really not long winded at all😆

Or you could use a completely free product which is far superior called Microsoft One Note, that's what i did.

No way would i pay a premium for such diabolic levels of support 🤣

• Level 5
6 hours ago, witherford said:

Or you could use a completely free product which is far superior called Microsoft One Note, that's what i did.

No way would i pay a premium for such diabolic levels of support

Just WRT this, and out of genuine (if somewhat skeptical) curiosity, are you finding Microsoft to be responsive to customer complaints? What's their support like?

24 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just WRT this, and out of genuine (if somewhat skeptical) curiosity, are you finding Microsoft to be responsive to customer complaints? What's their support like?

Well i don't know because i never have to contact them, never had any issues with the product.

They are probably better than evernote.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, witherford said:

They are probably better than evernote

LOL - do you have any appreciation of the history of Windows 1992-2020?  Evernote doesn't even register on the Microsoft scale of customer disregard...

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

LOL - do you have any appreciation of the history of Windows 1992-2020?  Evernote doesn't even register on the Microsoft scale of customer disregard...

How is this even a viable argument? a company the size of Microsoft is going to have more complaints and more praise than Evernote ever will do simply due to the size difference.

Piece of advice: Stop wasting your time chasing Evernote expecting them to fix problems they clearly have no interest in fixing, this thread is over a year old 🤣🤣

You could of implemented my fix a year ago and got on with your life....

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, witherford said:

You could of implemented my fix a year ago and got on with your life....

I didn't need to, thanks - and I wasn't arguing with you,  just envying your optimism...

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. If you search the forums, you will find several existing topics about this issue. Apparently the person who shared the notes with you has to revoke your access to them. For instance, see this thread:

On 4/4/2020 at 18:57, Dave-in-Decatur dijo:

Hi, and welcome to the forums. If you search the forums, you will find several existing topics about this issue. Apparently the person who shared the notes with you has to revoke your access to them. For instance, see this thread:

Thank you! I will try to follow those instructions, but I am afraid that whoever shared the note with me has died and will not be able to revoke any note. It is very difficult for me to continue seeing that note ...

• Level 5
55 minutes ago, Litus said:

Troll is a (pseudo-)human who writes to contribute nothing ... I made a sincere query

@Litus Sorry if you took it personal. You were not meant. There was another person in the thread repeatedly generalizing about EN, not contributing.

This forum can be used to vent some anger, but to an extend. The threads should still be legible, even if we all deviate from time to time.

Posting an issue or feature wish (as you did) is welcome and highly valued.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@Litus Sorry if you took it personal. You were not meant. There was another person in the thread repeatedly generalizing about EN, not contributing.

This is the reason that we use the forum quoting feature, so that responses to an individual are clearly to that individual...

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This forum can be used to vent some anger, but to an extend. The threads should still be legible, even if we all deviate from time to time.

Posting an issue or feature wish (as you did) is welcome and highly valued.

Not contributing, yet i have provided a solution to the problem...

So far i have contributed more to fixing the problem than any of you, i have provided a workaround because evernote are NOT going to fix your problem, and you consider me a troll? wow....

Making logical statements is not trolling, advising you not to pay a premium for a ***** service is not trolling either..

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Litus said:

Thank you! I will try to follow those instructions, but I am afraid that whoever shared the note with me has died and will not be able to revoke any note. It is very difficult for me to continue seeing that note ...

I'm sorry to hear that! Others have experienced this problem when, for instance, they are no longer employed with or by, or married to, the person who shared the note, and communication is not so good. I think I've heard that they're planning to fundamentally redo the sharing structure, which will hopefully include fixing this.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:48 AM, witherford said:

Not contributing, yet i have provided a solution to the problem...

So far i have contributed more to fixing the problem than any of you, i have provided a workaround because evernote are NOT going to fix your problem, and you consider me a troll? wow....

Making logical statements is not trolling, advising you not to pay a premium for a ***** service is not trolling either..

Thanks for finding SOME kind of a solution.

Having said, that, I shouldn't have to rejigger my whole EN db just to get rid of these things.  It should be part of the UI so I guess I'll have to ask for the feature or see if someone has already.

Ludicrous, but I guess necessary.

I'm glad @witherford found some kind of solution,  as I note above.

But this really should be part of the UI.

One of the notes shared with me is from someone who I happen to know for a fact is no longer even an EN user

Kind of absurd that this note "sharing" relationship can be so involuntary to the recipient of the note. Seems more like Note Injecting, rather than sharing. Sharing implies both parties agree to the thing. And that should extend from creation all the way through to deletion.

I'll have to see if this has already been a requested feature somewhere (if that's even visible. I'm not sure).  Anyone know?  If not I'll look later. This has already consumed too much time but I want to see it get resolved so I guess there's no stopping now.

• Like 2
On 4/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, jefito said:

I'm not seeing how I can change the title. Maybe I waited too long, but I just now saw your suggestion.

Only "moderation" choice I seem to have is Delete.

• Like 1

I have noticed the same problem (lack of a simple UI feature to remove notes that have been shared to me from my database) and it is quite annoying as more such notes build up over time.

I suppose if it is too difficult to add a "delete/remove/..." option to the UI, then at least let me hide notes that were shared to me that I am no longer interested in seeing.

Why can't the recipient of a shared note remove themselves from the share?  It feels like a type of invasion that there is no way to accept a share for the time it is needed, then essentially remove that acceptance once the need has passed.

Why are there shared notes for those with one account?

My notes show on the web and iOS but are "Shared with me" on the Mac app – only visible when searched.

Made a new notebook on the Mac. Shows up fast on the browser. So they're talking. But the flow is always Mac 2 Web and not Web 2 Mac.

I have hundreds of notes shared with me which i can not get rid of. I always have to peek through the list for the notes i need in the ocean of notes that i do not need. Sad that they have not fixed this feature yet. Was thinking of sub'ing for premium; but I feel I would pass now

• Level 5

When somebody shares a note with you, he needs to revoke the share before deleting the note.

If not the note stays as an orphan in your account. You can try to move them to a separate notebook to isolate them a bit.

It is your decision not to subscribe. Subscription means access to support. And probably support would be your chance to get rid of the notes.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Vaibhav Dixit said:

I have hundreds of notes shared with me which i can not get rid of. I always have to peek through the list for the notes i need in the ocean of notes that i do not need. Sad that they have not fixed this feature yet. Was thinking of sub'ing for premium; but I feel I would pass now

I second moving them to a zz_<notebook> location to keep them out of the way...

• Like 1

if evernote keep showing deleted shared notebooks, do this

I have the solution : you need to delete the appdata folder of evernote. That(s force evernote to redownload your database, settings and such. 

Completely exit evernote

Type : Win + R

Type : %appdata%

Enter

Delete the evernote folder.

Launch evernote, reconnect and taaaddaaa.