Can't more note from notebook in one stack to notebook in another stack

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, HLRatan said:

I am unable to move Notebook(s) into a stack. The drag and drop feature does not work. I am on 6.9 for Mac. I am a premium user.

Are you working in the Notebook page; the Sidebar has limited functionality 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, HLRatan said:

So how do I get this done? Move a notebook into a stack? Currently I log onto the web and then do it.. :(

I log into my Evernote account on my Mac
Double-click on Notebooks to go to the Notebook page
Drag the Notebook into the Stack

• 3 months later...

I thought that once I switched from a PC to a Mac I would love Evernote even more! But, it's the opposite, I'm frustrated! What happen to convenience? Like HLRatan asks...why can't I drag a notebook into an existing stack in the sidebar? AND why can't I create a new notebook in a stack by right clicking on the stack? I used to be able to do both of these simple tasks on my PC!! What gives Evernote??

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, TheJude said:

why can't I create a new notebook in a stack by right clicking on the stack

The latest release (6.11 Beta 1) allows you to right-click on a stack589260b2e7e52_ScreenShot2017-02-01at2_26_00PM.png.7d78569468029a80374211d804a94cce.png
- it has to be on the Notebook Page though

• 4 weeks later...

As a premium user, this has been one of my biggest frustrations. I frequently crate a new notebook in a stack. On a PC, this is easy- just right click on the stack and the option to create the new notebook in the stack appears. On a Mac, there is nothing there! I hate having to go to Notebooks view, find the stack I want, and THEN finally control click to add a notebook to the stack. PLEASE bring this functionality to the Mac!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 2018-03-05 at 6:54 PM, ARP said:

I just went from PC to Mac and loss of this functionality is a game changer. Please fix. 

On 2018-03-11 at 8:00 PM, steadyeddie23 said:

I echo this frustration. I used to be able to drag and drop on the Mac and now I can't find the option to combine a new folder into an existing stack. Why?

5ab16d86cf8b4_ScreenShot2018-03-20at13_19_44.png.6f211e7720ee794328fd5ddb6fda69f6.png

For notebook functions, access the Notebook Page

• Like 2

When I switched to a Mac over a year ago, I was looking forward to see how Evernote would be even smoother than it was on my PC. Boy, was I disappointed. Evernote is frustrating to use now...even considering leaving it. I don't understand...wasn't Evernote originally built for a Mac platform? Maybe I'm wrong about that. Not sure.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm trying to remove a notebook from a Stack on my Mac and I have been unable to do so even after reading numerous "solutions" on the forums. Right-clicking the notebook does not work as some have suggested. Nor does dragging the notebook out of the stack whether it's to the top of the column or anywhere else! Can someone please help?

I am sorry to say that this is still not clear. The only place I see a list of Notebooks is in the Sidebar. If I click on the Stack I see all the notes within the Stack but not the Notebooks. What am I missing?

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, dahveed said:

I am sorry to say that this is still not clear. The only place I see a list of Notebooks is in the Sidebar. If I click on the Stack I see all the notes within the Stack but not the Notebooks. What am I missing?

Go to the Notebook Page (not the sidebar)191637853_ScreenShot2018-08-20at23_40_52.png.1c07d773118148b906daddd4dbdda1a6.png

View > Notebooks

Thanks this was very helpful for me too.

Question for Evernote though: why wouldn't the "remove from stack" option be available when you right click a stack in the left side menu? The same option as if you go to View > Notebooks > right-click a notebook > Remove from stack should be be available on the left as well.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 10.26.45.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have a workaround for this.

Then in the web interface go to notebook view and you can then drag a notebook to a stack.

If you then click on the sync button in the mac app you'll see the changes.

Not ideal.. but it works...

@DTLow response is correct (i.e. accessing the "Notebooks" functionality and right-clicking on a notebook to expose the menu) and works in the Mac app. However, the interface is not intuitive and the sidebar must be minimized (not hidden or expanded) in order to access the notebook functionality (and only by left-clicking on a notebook does the "Notebooks" functionality appear, right-clicking displays a menu that does not include "Add to stack..."). 

This is menu when right-clicking on an expanded sidebar notebook:

1846357882_ScreenShot2018-09-13at11_25_01AM.png.fb2bfe319b82ae48a58975b0081a4ecc.png

This is the menu when right-clicking on a minimized sidebar notebook:

1448285182_ScreenShot2018-09-13at11_25_49AM.png.f7191f03f56c3f2f20640d7754b3ef5e.png

I agree with many of the commenters here: the available functionality and navigation in the app (at least in a Mac) is not intuitive and I am frequently forced to Google answers to seemingly simple tasks (for example, adding a notebook to a stack). There may be constraints that are limiting interactivity, but revisiting the UX and either delivering consistent right-click functionality across all sidebar states or removing right-click functionality and simplifying in-app navigation to provide access to these features would, in my opinion, improve user experience and reduce user frustration.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I also find this incredibly annoying.   It used to be very easy.  I'm also a Mac user.  Why is there no button on the toolbar that opens the Notebook page?  It should be there given how important the function is.  Once I'd found it in the "View" menu, it was easy, - but FFS!, put the icon somewhere on the toolbar Evernote!

• Level 5*
On 10/9/2018 at 4:33 PM, CraigWall said:

Why is there no button on the toolbar that opens the Notebook page?  It should be there given how important the function is.

I use the icon in the Sidebar       2108358148_ScreenShot2018-10-10at09_23_39.png.ed1def20653fbc0787c0c148a0544b97.png

View > Notebooks also works     449063585_ScreenShot2018-10-23at09_42_43.png.3e5d12fc71afedd65cefbb7c3bc81c83.png

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't make this work. I am using Mac OS Mojave. I have the latest Evernote update. I just want to move a notebook into an existing stack. From the Notebooks page (the one headed My notebook list), I have tried dragging and dropping as I used to with a Windows computer; dragging and dropping while holding down the cmd key, and dragging and dropping while holding the ctrl key. Have also tried while holding down the alt key. Every time it's the same - the notebook won't move, and quite often it just opens. I am using the web-based version. Perhaps you can only do it with app? This was never a problem with a Windows computer, though.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Joanna_Dobson said:

I just can't make this work. I am using Mac OS Mojave. I have the latest Evernote update. I just want to move a notebook into an existing stack. From the Notebooks page (the one headed My notebook list),

The assumption is you're using a Mac computer, and the Evernote/Mac client software.
The drag-and-drop process is done on the Notebook page.
You don't have to use drag-and-drop448965793_ScreenShot2018-10-23at09_38_58.png.4e3f2f83f08320f5094a241dd8fc74cb.png
On the notebook page, right click on the notebook > Add To Stack

>>I am using the web-based version.

This is the Mac forum
You might want to post in the Web forum

Stacks are not available on the Web beta
Revert back to the full feature standard 
version 

I just signed up for the free version of Evernote to see if it will suit my needs. I created two notebooks and I am unable to drag one onto another to create a Stack. I've read the instructions and watched youtube videos with no luck. Is this option only available with paid Evernote subscriptions

?

I did see the instructions. They weren't working. I read another comment about the web beta version not working. So I found an older version and now the stacking is working. Thank you.

• Level 5*
On 10/27/2018 at 4:07 PM, Bittersweet said:

I made a stack of note books, but suddenly I can't add more. Are there other ways to add than dragging?

Open the notebook page (View > Notebooks)99055121_ScreenShot2018-10-29at12_38_45.png.2cfee91291ffe4d728ede16e445c5377.png
Right Click on a notebook > Add to Stack

One of the reasons I switched to mac was that programs operated in a standard way....well most.  I have to search the interjet for "Now do I xxx on Evernote for Mac" almost every other day.  These aer for simple things.  And even when I find them, the answer is so weird I can't remember them.   There is no logic,  I can drag and drop a file everywhere.

Then I want to move a notebook.  I try everything on the toolbar, right clicks and look all over.  Noting works.  a 2 second task now becomes a research project.   I see put it in Stack view.  There are noi commands for that.  Did they TRY to make this difficult? I read the instructions for putting in stack mode.  Once again I have no idea where these magic buttons or commands are.

Is these commands under my sofa? 

Every time I need to do this, it's a one hour project.  Can someone have mercy?  It sure isn't Evernote..

• Level 5*

First, switch to the Notebook page 453523777_ScreenShot2018-11-04at11_41_30.png.23dc1cfc3272e9b55a2ee81757f823cb.png
- View Notebooks1306223278_ScreenShot2018-11-04at11_42_11.png.020cb9337020ff037d515775f4820a8e.png
- Click on the Notebook icon in the sidebar

You can drag notebooks to/from stacks
You can right-click on a notebook1654611902_ScreenShot2018-11-04at11_43_04.png.330d6b895c20293b7e66149c6eca6119.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Long time Evernote user currently running 7.6 on macOS 10.13.6

I can not understand why it is not possible to do the following directly from the main window on the macOS app:

- Rename Notebook (by either clicking directly on name, or Ctrl+click to bring up Rename option)

- Drag and Drop to move Notebook in or out of a stack (Yes, I understand that Evernote imposes an alphabetical order, but moving into or out of a stack should be allowed)

It is necessary to switch to the Notebook view to do either of these. Not a big deal, but why does Evernote insist on such a clunky, non-Mac way of doing things?

(Both of these action are standard features of virtually all other macOS applications that have a sidebar+main window interface (Finder, OmniFocus, Mail.app, to name just a few))

Can anyone explain this behavior? (as if anything that Evernote does makes any sense)

• Level 5*

afaik  There is no technical reason why this functionality can't be developed
It makes sense that Evernote focus development on requests that have user support
A good start would be to show your support for the requests linked below using the voting buttons

• 1 month later...

Frustrated. I want to create a note, then move it to a note in a notebook in a stack, and then, maybe move it from to another notebook in another stack. Am using Version 7.7 on a MAC (Mojave). Please point me to the step by step directions for moving notes around in the overall organization, whether it not be in a notebook (are all notes in a notebook automatically?) or not, and then move it to a notebook in an arbitrary stack, and move it from a notebook in one stack to a notebook in another stack. This is crazy, All this should be simple drag-and-drop. Isn't this just a hierarchical structure like Finder on the MAC. This is basic stuff. Or maybe I'm just not smart enough to use Evernote.

• Level 5*

The note shows the current notebook1383292622_ScreenShot2019-01-07at08_15_10.png.780d9f11c9a64d54f1de6842f999e747.png

To move to a new notebook, click on the notebook and a box appears with a list of notebooks to select from.

>>are all notes in a notebook automatically?

Yes.  Notes are assigned to a notebook automatically; usually the designated default notebook.

>>Isn't this just a hierarchical structure like Finder on the MAC. 

No.  There is no hierarchical structure for notebooks (just stacks).  If you need a hierarchical structure, look at Tags.

Finder on the Mac organizes files in a Folder structure.  Not related to notebooks/tags.
Notebooks and Tags are fields in the Note metadata.

>>All this should be simple drag-and-drop.

Drag-and-drop works on the notebook/tag trees in the sidebar.546269328_ScreenShot2019-01-07at08_25_14.png.d0f3b6b9629f0dbd6e484916606f68ee.png

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, kengorman said:

Does what you say apply to moving a note from a notebook in stack 'abc' to a notebook in stack 'xyz'?

Yes; stacks are not a factor in the notebook assigned to a note

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's easy to get to the "notebook view" and once there you can "right click" aka control-click to open a notebook inside a notebook
You can just do step one below then drag an existing notebook to the stack you want, or do this:

1. tap Command-option-2 to go to notebook view
  2. select the notebook where you want to create a stack, or the stack where you want to locate the new notebook
  3. control click, on that stack or notebook
  4. choose the first option "Create a new notebook in...."
  5. to exit notebook view just click anywhere in the sidebar

I agree a better user experience would allow one to move a notebook to a stack in the sidebar; that SEEMS like how it should work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read several posting on creating stacks on a Mac but none have worked for me. 

I have clicked notebook on the left hand side. Then moved my cursor to the main page and have tried to move one notebook into another.

This has not worked.

I tried ctrl-click and nothing happens. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, zebop6@yahoo.com said:

I have clicked notebook on the left hand side. Then moved my cursor to the main page and have tried to move one notebook into another.

On a Mac, you do not use the Stack operation in the sidebar

Clicking the notebook icon displays the notebook page1016729288_ScreenShot2019-02-11at08_21_03.png.a95e87b1d6f8b0c561b6a9ad21467055.png
This is where stack operations are executed.

I've got several stacks with notebooks in them, but today I can no longer seem to create a new notebook within an existing stack nor drag a new notebook into the stack. Clicking on the notebook icon (as suggested above) does nothing. CMD clicking on the icon gives me the option of Share, Publish or Delete Notebook, but I do not see the other options shown in the image above.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I am using the latest version of Evernote available to my Mac, v. 7.8.

Martin

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Martinnel said:

Clicking on the notebook icon (as suggested above) does nothing

How about Evernote > View > Notebooks354926655_ScreenShot2019-02-11at12_05_41.png.67b6bb93db88cafba6becd3d2bdb1b5e.png

>>CMD clicking on the icon gives me the option of Share, Publish or Delete Notebook...

Please post a screenshot

Right-Clicking a notebook gives these options

1536052990_ScreenShot2019-02-11at12_16_27.png.365b0eb3a384c5994d29366e09be7ed0.png

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

How about Evernte > View > Notebooks354926655_ScreenShot2019-02-11at12_05_41.png.67b6bb93db88cafba6becd3d2bdb1b5e.png

Ah, that worked, thanks. Or at least, it made the right part of the window show my stacks and from that part of the window I could drag the notebook to the proper stack.

I have attached an image showing what I get when Ctrl clicking the notebook.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 2.28.02 PM (2).png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Martinnel said:

CMD clicking on the icon gives me the option of Share, Publish or Delete Notebook,...

46 minutes ago, Martinnel said:

I have attached an image showing what I get when Ctrl clicking the notebook.

You're trying to use the sidebar for notebook/stack functions.1156461846_ScreenShot2019-02-11at12_48_24.png.8ab19e24977d235e3ad0d846e1fbc6eb.png
Evernote/Mac doesn't support these functions in the sidebar

The notebook/stack functions have to be done on the Notebook page.
To access the notebook page, click on the notebook icon, or use the View menu.

• 3 weeks later...

I am unable to drag old notebooks into an archive stack. This functionality suddenly stopped working a month or so ago. I am running Evernote v7.9 under macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (i.e., I am totally up to date) on a late 2015 iMac. I have about 35 current notebooks and about the same number in the archive stack.

• Level 5*

Dragging is still working for me2103174657_ScreenShot2019-03-04at07_41_20.png.5f437d7e59a0ba3f0a474f0f6bfa7f62.png
You also have the option of right-clicking on the notebook

Make sure you're working in the Notebook panel

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, TRSNY said:

Thanks for the reply. Something weird is going on. If I right click on a Notebook get this truncated menu rather than the full menu.

I suspect you';re working in the sidebar.
Use the Notebook panel

You are correct, I am working in the sidebar. How do I get to the Notebook panel? Sorry, I am being particularly dense this morning and the Help system comes up empty when I search for "notebook panel".

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, TRSNY said:

You are correct, I am working in the sidebar. How do I get to the Notebook panel? Sorry, I am being particularly dense this morning and the Help system comes up empty when I search for "notebook panel".

Top menu bar:  Evernote > View > Notebooks1007011700_ScreenShot2019-03-04at08_40_46.png.9dce111c283d3d160c1e65edc98b3079.png

Sidebar: Click on the notebook icon

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem on Evernote Mac desktop version 7.9 (457564 App Store). Seems that the ability to move notebooks inside stacks is not working anymore?! This is so frustrating and annoying!!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ryokan said:

Same problem on Evernote Mac desktop version 7.9 (457564 App Store). Seems that the ability to move notebooks inside stacks is not working anymore?! This is so frustrating and annoying!!

Macs have always had limited functionality in the sidebar.  You have to work in the Notebook page.

Also see the post at 

I moved this discussion to the feature request forum.  To indicate your support, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...