G-Pa Ernie

Evernote on Windows 10 won't start

I think my Evernote on my Windows 10 desktop just updated itself.

Evernote now won't start at all. Doubleclicking its icon has no effect. Selecting it in "all programs" has no effect.

Even doubleclicking on the evernote.exe file has no effect.

This is not good...

It has probably hung. Launch Task Manager and make sure all Evernote*.* apps are killed, then try. If that fails, reboot your PC and try. That should fix 99% of the Evernote failing to start issues.

If that fails, download the latest version, install that, and try again.

If that fails, then your database is probably corrupt and Evernote crashes when reading it. That is a whole different process so post back if it is still not working.

Did an uninstall/reinstall, and that seems to have fixed it. Thank you.

• Like 1

Having the same problem as member above:

Member stated: Evernote now won't start at all. Doubleclicking its icon has no effect. Selecting it in "all programs" has no effect. Even doubleclicking on the evernote.exe file has no effect.

Followed all of your suggestions and will still not open. (It has probably hung. Launch Task Manager and make sure all Evernote*.* apps are killed, then try. If that fails, reboot your PC and try. That should fix 99% of the Evernote failing to start issues. If that fails, download the latest version, install that, and try again. If that fails, then your database is probably corrupt and Evernote crashes when reading it. That is a whole different process so post back if it is still not working.) So, if a corrupt database is the problem, what can be done next?

(My web account appears to be fine)

I have used Evernote for several years now. It has been interesting to see it grow and change for the better over that time. It is a great program but it does have one chronic problem. Every two or three months it quits opening. I can click on the icon in the task bar and 'POOF" - nothing. I can right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator" and 'POOF"  - nothing happens but at least it is at admin level. I can go the apps start menu and try to start from there but I guess you know by now what happens next. NOTHING HAPPENS. My computer laughs at me!

Why must I have to reinstall EN time after lonely time and then time and time again until the end of time?

Please, fix this. I already know what the meaning of life is all about but starting EN shouldn't be so damn hard. 

Thank you,

41 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Why must I have to reinstall EN time after lonely time and then time and time again until the end of time?

You didn't say whether you tried a reboot before re-installing. A pain, yes, but might work. Another thing, if you can't restart Evernote, you should Use Task Manager to make sure that all Evernote processes are shut down. Then retry to launch as usual.

As @jefito mentioned - use Task Manager. Every time I've seen EN not start when I try to, it's because of a hung process. Killing the existing EN processes allows things to return to normal. (The monitoring process gets very confused when EN crashes - the lock (global mutex) doesn't get cleaned up so when another instance tries to start, it goes "Oh, I'm already running - bye!")

Hello @jefito and dcon!

Thank you both.

To respond to you both:

I made a mistake. I meant to say "reboot" and not '"reinstall" . Please excuse me.

I tried the Task Manager proceedure this morning. I was forced to because when I moved a notebook from one folder to another EN crashed and would not restart from the Taskbar. I went into Task Manager, killed everything EN, and tried to start again from the Taskbar. The program attempted to start and then evaporated in another POOF. Went back to the Taskbar, right clicked on the icon, selected open, and this time it was successful. 

From now on I will use the Task Manager first and then restart.

Thanks again,

Mike