continuous backups with evernote? (or ways to quickly fix big mistakes)

danklim

Hi i'm wondering if Evernote has any kind of automatic continuous time-based interval backup system by default. Not sure what the best words for this are. What i mean is this:

If i back up  my mac and evernote on mac with something like time machine, it would automatically backup multiple copies of my database from different times, rather than just one backup. Does evernote do anything like this by default?

I ask because a few months ago i had an issue where i accidentally deleted all of my notes with the words "guitar chords" in them, and (because there were thousands of notes) the best way that i could figure out how to recover them was to just restore the whole trash notebook in evernote, which has been a pain because it also restored hundreds of notes that i did want in the trash. Its very easy to accidentally make this mistake and, if i do make this mistake again,  I want to have a better solution so that i can just easily restore it to the state that it was at before i made the mistake. I would use time machine for this but time machine is not working for me. If evernote itself doesn't do this, does anybody know of any alternatives to time machine? I have evernote for mac, pc, and ios devices- a solution on any of these would work for all of them i think.

Actually as i'm writing this now, I'm not actually sure if i need a kind of automatic continuous time-based backup system if its easy to restore a single backup. Although i think it would be helpful because the last time that i made the mistake, i didn't realize  that i had done it for several weeks. 

Can you please help/recommend what you would do to fix this kind of mistake and recover state of notes quickly?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Evernote has a note history backup.  
However previous revisions are accessed via the note.  This is impossible if you've deleted the note.
Information at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-use-note-history-to-view-older-versions-of-a-note

I maintain personal backups using a daily incremental export.  I have this automated using scripting on a Mac.
These backups are in html format, and are easy to access to recover missing or corrupted data

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thanks. I don't think that does what i'm looking for here though, it seems to only work on an individual note basis which would take a long time. I tried selecting multiple notes and don't see this option. I have about 2000 notes with the words "guitar chords" and,  if i accidentally delete all of them , want to access/restore 'note history backup' for all of them. 

Does evernote have any kind of note history backup for the entire evernote database or by search terms or notebooks?

• Level 5*
Just now, danklim said:

I don't think that does what i'm looking for here though, it seems to only work on an individual note basis which would take a long time. I tried selecting multiple notes and don't see this option. I have about 2000 notes with the words "guitar chords" and,  if i accidentally delete all of them , want to access/restore 'note history backup' for all of them. 

Does evernote have any kind of note history backup for the entire evernote database or by search terms or notebooks?

I rely on personal backups for this type of recovery.
I can search my backup files on a Mac; the contents are indexed.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, danklim said:

I have about 2000 notes with the words "guitar chords" and,  if i accidentally delete all of them , want to access/restore 'note history backup' for all of them.

If you 'delete notes, they wind up in the Trash 'notebook', where you can easily undelete them. Note that Trash is  itself searchable. If you then delete them from the Trash. then you'll be prompted that the deletion is permanent. In other words, you need to work at it to delete things permanently.

Archived