Suggestions for improving Evernote

bobc

Idea

Here are the things about EverNote that I find problematic:

1. Tags and notebooks

You click on a notebook in the side panel, and you have "opened" that notebook. If you do a search, the results are restricted to that notebook. Good. And if you search for "tag:MyTag", again the results are restricted to the notebook.

But now say I want to do the same thing but utilizing the tag list on the left panel.The first problem is that all the tags are shown, even tags that only occur in other notebooks. Argh. Why is that? Well ok, so I click on MyTag, And all of a sudden, the results are no longer restricted to the notebook that I was using! In fact, at the top of the screen where it showed the name of the notebook that I was in, it suddenly says "All Notebooks".

2. Tag hierarchy in iOS

I read a post by Ian Small that said consistency across platforms is a goal. I hope this means showing the tag hierarchy in iOS. Why is the tag hierarchy shown in Windows, but not iOS?

I have seen comments from within Evernote that tags are unimportant, but I disagree. Search is one aspect of information management, but metadata about how notes are organized and how they relate to each other is information in itself, and that's where tags come in.

I saw one comment where someone suggested that part of the reason why you shoudn't use tags is that the hierarchy isn't shown in iOS!

3. Windows UI

The Windows UI is about the most visually unappealing of any modern application that I have seen.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It would be more useful if you post in the specific forums, or add your vote to existing posts. 
Also, post separate suggestions so users can indicate their support using the vote mechanism.

2. Tag hierarchy in IOS has my vote. 
Tags are the primary tool for note organization/retrieval.

>>all the tags are shown, even tags that only occur in other notebooks.

I suspect your 1. Tags and Notebooks comments refers to the Windows platform.

The sidebar shows a full notebook/tag list.
In Mac/IOS, the tag picker is shows a list filtered to tags used in the current context.360574747_ScreenShot2019-01-04at13_51_54.png.2d9278c1d8f03fbe7c7aa427c970d00b.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bobc said:

But now say I want to do the same thing but utilizing the tag list on the left panel.The first problem is that all the tags are shown, even tags that only occur in other notebooks. Argh. Why is that? Well ok, so I click on MyTag, And all of a sudden, the results are no longer restricted to the notebook that I was using! In fact, at the top of the screen where it showed the name of the notebook that I was in, it suddenly says "All Notebooks".

If you're using the Windows application, the better thing to do when you've chosen a notebook first is to use the tag picker to select tags. It's located at the bottom right of the search information panel, of by using the Alt+Shift+T hotkey. Options associated with the tag picker ate in Tools / Options  / Navigation : "Tags related options". If you uncheck the "Show all tags in the tag picker", it will filter your tag list to those tags that exist in the current search filter. I find this incredibly usef, and much better than pawing around in the tag tree in the left panel.

1 hour ago, bobc said:

I have seen comments from within Evernote that tags are unimportant,

Really? I've never heard any such thing from Evernote staff. To the contrary, in fact.

Archived