Tag search/sidebar

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but this is something that drives me crazy.

When I do a tag search (in the search box), like: "tag:travel" - the "Tags" heading in the sidebar expands. I have a lot of tags, so my sidebar is then taken up entirely with my tags list. I HATE this. If I wanted to search on a tag by clicking it in the sidebar, I'd have done that rather than typing it in the search box. But I didn't, because I didn't want to expand the tag list. I don't want Evernote to do it for me. It means that when I'm done with the search, even when I go back to All Notes, I have to manually un-expand (or whatever) the tag list so I can see anything else in the sidebar.

Is there any way to stop this behavior? Older versions didn't do it. I've started to avoid searching on tags because of it.

• Level 5*

I don't see this happening in either of my two Evernote for Windows installations (version 6.17.2.8206). Don't know of any option to enable/disable this behavior, so a bit of a mystery....

I believe @justacat is having a similar issue to mine, see here

I think he/she is referring to the search-field-box that appears on the Tags-View screen, as distinct from, or different to, the standard Notes-Search field/box seen at the top of the column with 'Note List' enabled (F11), or as seen on Quick Search accessed via CTRL+Q. 

IF he/she was talking about a standard 'tag:whatever" search in the standard Notes Search then I too am NOT experiencing the issue as described.

My issue is a standard Notes-Search field at the top of the column. The first image is what my left panel looks like before the search. The second image shows a search on tag:insurance, at the top of the notes column, and then what my left sidebar switches to afterwards - the Tags category expands automatically.

(Sorry if I did the image attachment/insertion wrong - I've never done it before in these forums).

This really isn't happening to anyone else? It's been constant for me for a while now. I'm on Windows 10 and Evernote is up to date (6.16.4.8094), and I've updated it regularly - it's been like this for quite a while.

• Level 5*

...Someone say my name?  😏

Interestingly (?) I'm kinda in the middle here.  I do have nested tags,  but when I search for <insurance> only that part of the tag tree pops out if I have the left window open. 

311480152_ScreenClip2.png.b3acdeea87ea56c7fa947eca9b196129.png

If I wanted to collapse that segment I can hover over the parent and click the '📐' arrow,  or go up to Tabs and collapse the lot.

The view does jump down to tags,  which I find distracting - though since other users might want to refine searches or edit tags from there,  I guess it's a logical step.  Ctrl+Home however jumps me to the top of the list again - I tend to live and die by searches and shortcuts,  so that's my 'home' spot.  I don't care whether the tags list is expanded - I try not to look at it much!

I spend a fair amount of time with the left panel closed

528107180_ScreenClip1.png.ee21e736ac33735b2d8dab6ffdabeb72.png

- most of the time the little drop-down options from the icons work better for me...

ScreenClip.png.896dc2cfa9b97f96d7cf976faa3e78c2.png

2047986674_ScreenClip3.png.3d48906c8afe8492fb019b3b297f37ab.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, justacat said:

My issue is a standard Notes-Search field at the top of the column. The first image is what my left panel looks like before the search. The second image shows a search on tag:insurance, at the top of the notes column, and then what my left sidebar switches to afterwards - the Tags category expands automatically.

That's what I thought that you were reporting, and it's behavior I've never seen.

Oh, aha. Check and see whether the option Tools / Options / Navigation / "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected " is checked. I think that that's the culprit.

53 minutes ago, jefito said:

Check and see whether the option Tools / Options / Navigation / "Scroll left panel item into view when the item is selected " is checked. I think that that's the culprit.

That's the one!  Needs to be disabled/un-checked to prevent the Tags expanding in the left-panel

Archived