Keyboard Maestro, TextExpander, or other workflows to integrate EverTool more seamlessly?

I just received a great Evernote editor recommendation from @DTLow: Appstore: EverTool is a $5 3rd party editor available from the Mac App Store that addresses a lot of Evernote's editor's shortcomings. A detailed description of EverTool can be found here (by the EverTool developer). The tradeoff of using EverTool is that you have to manually copy and paste text between Evernote and EverTool and then back again. Not the end-of-the-world, but certainly something that might be automated via tools like Keyboard Maestro, TextExpander, Alfred, or similar utilities?

Wondering if any of you gurus have built something like this and would be willing to share your handiwork? Thank you!

I used EverTool for a few days, but the constant manually cutting and pasting was making me literally angry.

I ended up buying Keyboard Maestro and just writing macros that select->cut->tranform->paste. It's not perfect, and it doesn't handle code highlighting, but it's a single key sequence for the the things I do most commonly (create header and sub-header styling). Unfortunately EverTool itself is not scriptable so I wasn't able to come up with a way of integrating it.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, MalcolmG said:

automated via tools like Keyboard Maestro, TextExpander, Alfred, or similar utilities?

Since we're using Macs, I would use Applescript.  I also use Fastscripts to assign keyboard shortcuts to my scripts.

I haven't written the script, but I'm thinking it's a simple Copy, Launch Evertool, Paste

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Since we're using Macs, I would use Applescript.  I also use Fastscripts to assign keyboard shortcuts to my scripts.

I haven't written the script, but I'm thinking it's a simple Copy, Launch Evertool, Paste

If OP doesn't want to write AppleScript, you can trigger EverTool from Keyboard Maestro. It did not occur to me before that the EverTool key sequences were globally available.

So in that case I'd use KM to select the current line and cut the text to the clipboard, then have KM send the EverTool key sequence for the desired format and paste the results. Easier than learning AppleScript if you don't know it, but at the price of paying for KM.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Max Barclay said:

Out of interest, is this the sort of thing Popclip could do? e.g., highlight text > select a style from the Popclip pop-up > style is then applied?

I had to look up Popclip, a Mac app

I wasn't aware there was a Popclip > Style, but that could work

It looks like Popclip triggers automatically on selecting text

Evertool requires specific launching, and copy/paste to/from the clipboard.

6 hours ago, Max Barclay said:

Out of interest, is this the sort of thing Popclip could do? e.g., highlight text > select a style from the Popclip pop-up > style is then applied?

I use PopClip, but I don't see where I can create my own styles anywhere. It supports the basics - bold, italic, underline - and I've got some plugins that do a few other things, but if I want to do something like automatically change the font or font size, there doesn't seem to be a plugin for that. That's why I ended up with Keyboard Maestro.

At first I built the styles into KM, but I couldn't do code highlighting that way, so now I'm just using KM to cut and paste, and it calls the EverTool keystrokes in between. Bonus, it has a little floating menu that reminds me what the keystrokes are. 

PopClip extensions can be written in a variety of ways including AppleScript, so if you're familiar with that it might be easy to write something.

Archived