New User--Lack of Features for Writing

EDem

I recently became a paid user to Evernote. I am surprised it doesn't have some basic functionality like:

1. You can't change the background color of notes
2. You can't sort notes manually within a notebook
3. You can't "pin" a note to the top of a page (maybe with reminders?)
4. You can't manually sort Notebooks

Am I alone here? The interface is really nice but I'm wondering how this lack of basic features is acceptable? Any thoughts?
-Eric

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EDem said:

The interface is really nice but I'm wondering how this lack of basic features is acceptable?

Because different users have different use cases?

For example:

1. You can't change the background color of notes - this is a don't-care for me
2. You can't sort notes manually within a notebook - don't need this either (you *can* sort reminders manually if you want, but I don't do that either
3. You can't "pin" a note to the top of a page (maybe with reminders?) -  I do use reminders for this
4. You can't manually sort Notebooks - not a problem for me, as I maintain relatively few notebooks

Edit: that's not saying that this isn't a valid request, indeed, many of these things have been requested already. But acceptability is governed by usability for use cases, and Evernote fills the bill for many people.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, EDem said:

Am I alone here? The interface is really nice but I'm wondering how this lack of basic features is acceptable? Any thoughts?

You are not alone.  Others have requested these over the years.  It doesn't (unfortunately) appear to be a priority with the development team.

3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

You are not alone.  Others have requested these over the years.  It doesn't (unfortunately) appear to be a priority with the development team.

Thanks. I understand.

Ya, I hear ya. I've seen other people make these requests and it makes sense they have other priorities (I guess for more people who float the bill). I just go into software and start clicking around and try to do the things I need, and when some of those "basic" functions I mentioned aren't there, I'm curious to know why. I'll have to look elsewhere for software until they add these features (if they ever do.)

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, EDem said:

Ya, I hear ya. I've seen other people make these requests and it makes sense they have other priorities (I guess for more people who float the bill). I just go into software and start clicking around and try to do the things I need, and when some of those "basic" functions I mentioned aren't there, I'm curious to know why. I'll have to look elsewhere for software until they add these features (if they ever do.)

I think that I was lucky in my experience of Evernote. I use it to do research -- easy categorization via tags. I also use it for task management at work -- it's software development, so it's bug tickets, bug logs, screen caps, etc., all a breeze, plus a bit more organization. Weekly and yearly journals for work. I don't do much content creation in Evernote, it's mostly content and information capture. Over 10 years of use, I've found Evernote pretty frictionless for what I need it to do (so as I say, I'm lucky about that), but understand that it may not be the best tool for other folks' uses. Vive la difference. Good luck in your search...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, EDem said:

Ya, I hear ya. I've seen other people make these requests and it makes sense they have other priorities

To be honest, their priorities over the last several years have not meshed with mine, so for me I've seen little incremental improvement in the product that I can get excited about but I do find the base product still quite useful so I stick with it.

Archived