Kruger2147

Grab text from images using OCR

Idea

I switched from Google Keep to Evernote because Evernote overall is way more powerful. The one feature I sorely miss from Keep is the ability to use OCR to grab text or handwriting from a picture and turn it into actual text in a note. This is incredibly useful for recipes, handwritten to do or checklists, homework notes, meeting notes, basically, this small feature is super useful. Evernote already has powerful OCR, and can search text within an image, I'd like to be able to pull the text out of an image and into an editable note. 

3 replies to this idea

As you noted, Evernote's OCR feature (text/handwriting) is for search purposes and not available to "grab text".  You posted the request and users can add their votes; however Evernote has not indicated an interest in expanding this feature.

In the meantime, you can use an external OCR process.  I use app PDF OCR X.
It does the job (text only), and the price is reasonable.

Handwriting OCR is a more complicated process.  I've only been able to use this within apps, such as Notability on an iPad.  I add the document to a note as a pdf; copy/paste would also work.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, DTLow said:

As you noted, Evernote's OCR feature (text/handwriting) is for search purposes and not available to "grab text".

Hence the feature request. Obviously the OCR can see, and highlight text after a search, I see no reason why it cannot then perform a copy/past function to "grab" text from an image.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, DTLow said:

You posted the request and users can add their votes; however Evernote has not indicated an interest in expanding this feature.

Again, the feature request.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, Kruger2147 said:

Obviously the OCR can see, and highlight text after a search, I see no reason why it cannot then perform a copy/past function to "grab" text from an image.

It's do-able but requires a conversion to pdf format; PDF supports an overlay layer for the ocr'd text.
With images, the ocr'd text can only be stored in a separate file, or appended to the note beneath the image.

Evernote's process is documented at https://evernote.com/blog/how-evernotes-image-recognition-works/
Here's an example working from an image of this discussion  997806554_ScreenShot2019-01-05at15_27_39.png.e6a3171baba21c62ce7f28d5b19b68de.png

and the text file generated by for searching
753814991_ScreenShot2019-01-05at15_44_05.png.3aae31723c0c068bebd43bc5b57542a9.png