Unknown device on account

KLT

Idea

A device that is not mine keeps turning up on my account.  It is for an iphone.  I have never used an iphone.

This has happened two or three times.  As I'm on the basic plan, I get a message saying I've got too many devices associated with my account.  I know this to be wrong as I only have two devices.  When I check to see the devices registered in my account, this strange iphone device is listed.

Does anyone know what is going on and could someone else be hacked into my account?

Thanks

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi, KLT, and welcome to the forums! This issue has been reported numerous times recently. I believe it is due to passwords having been stolen from other services or locations, and used to get at Evernote accounts. The solution is to change your password to something that you don't use for anything else, perhaps set up 2-factor authentication, and of course revoke the unknown device from your account. If you search the forums for "unknown device," you'll find lots of company in the last couple of months.

I have had a similar response except that I did have Evernote on my iPhone. At some point I became limited to 2 due to the using the "basic Plan" so I revoked access to my iPhone and removed the app from my phone. I'm still getting periodic prompts when opening up Evernote on approved devices to revoke access on the already deleted device. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have the same issue as above. I was asked to "unsync device" for the extra devices not covered under the Evernote Basic.  I only have two. This happened twice this month.  When I checked the access list in settings, it included an iPhone from Japan. I don't have an iPhone nor am based in Japan (01/24/2019 180.36.118.180 (Osaka, Japan)). Just a few hours ago, I had a Samsung listed in my device! I am not using a Samsung...I have seriously considered subscribing to the Premium package, but I am having second thoughts now since there is a huge issue on security.  

• Level 5
7 hours ago, 59pairs said:

I have the same issue as above. I was asked to "unsync device" for the extra devices not covered under the Evernote Basic.  I only have two. This happened twice this month.  When I checked the access list in settings, it included an iPhone from Japan. I don't have an iPhone nor am based in Japan (01/24/2019 180.36.118.180 (Osaka, Japan)). Just a few hours ago, I had a Samsung listed in my device! I am not using a Samsung...I have seriously considered subscribing to the Premium package, but I am having second thoughts now since there is a huge issue on security.  

Please see this response from the head of Evernote security:

Basically, as I understand it, this is not a security issue within Evernote, but one caused by hackers getting access to passwords used on other services or sites and then trying these same passwords on the same person's Evernote account. Sometimes they work, if the person is using the same password for Evernote as for other places. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, using a unique password for your Evernote account should prevent this. See also Evernote's Security Tips.

Archived