Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×
Kruger2147

Reading and book notes

What tips, if any, do you have for taking down notes an important passages when reading non-fiction for both pleasure and education? My initial thought was to make my highlights, then take a picture of the page in the book. Then I thought as I go through the book, those notes will be filled with images, and get fairly large quite quickly. That would make for pretty slow load times, and slow search, there's probably a better way.

What advice, tips, tricks do you have for taking important passages in physical books, and documenting them in Evernote?

1 hour ago, Kruger2147 said:

That would make for pretty slow load times, and slow search, there's probably a better way.

Your plan for scanning pages seems valid; you can crop the images to just the passage.
If you OCR your images, you can work with plain text instead of images.

There shouldn't be an impact to search.  If loading is slow split the scans into separate notes.

I prefer to position images into a table.  It allows for a more organized format.

I'm with @DTLow - unless you're taking pics of the whole book page by page it shouldn't impact your searches over much,  and loading times -even on mobile- will be for single notes,  so keeping the note sizes reasonably small should avoid any issues.  I don't have an exact parallel for this,  but I do have thousands of scans from press cuttings and magazine articles,  plus more recent posts from various professional sites.  A straight word search usually generates lots of hits,  but provided you can qualify the search with a good tag and/ or title system you should be able to weed out the false positives.

My data has been housebroken over time - I may have mentioned before (a couple of times) that I curate my searches.  I automatically qualify searches with dates and multiple words.  If I get too many hits in any search I'll identify the reason and edit the correct and the 'incorrect' notes so that another search will be better focused.  I gravitated towards using smarter titles with the date and name of the source material plus some keywords as to content in my 'library' notes.  So I can easily find something posted on a particular date,  or by a particular source.

As always - that works for me; YMMV!

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

There shouldn't be an impact to search.  If loading is slow split the scans into separate notes.

I suppose I could create a create a Library stack, and create Notebook for each book, then split it up into notes for each chapter. This would likely keep notes smaller, and easily searchable.

1 hour ago, Kruger2147 said:

I suppose I could create a create a Library stack, and create Notebook for each book, then split it up into notes for each chapter. This would likely keep notes smaller, and easily searchable.

I'm more of a tagger (limit 100,00); but just including title/chapter/page in the note title works for me.
I don't need a notebook/tag for each book; a search by title includes all the notes for a book.