Open Evernote Windows in Notebooks

Terp66

Idea

When Evernote for Windows opens, allow it to open with the Notebooks instead of all notes.  I organize my notes by notebooks so they are easy to find and it is frustrating to see a long list of notes.  Just one extra step.  I think it should be an option because some people like a disorganized list of notes.  Some people have a large batch of icons on their desktop while other have very few on the desktop.  To each his own,.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Terp66 said:

When Evernote for Windows opens, allow it to open with the Notebooks instead of all notes.  I organize my notes by notebooks so they are easy to find and it is frustrating to see a long list of notes.  Just one extra step.  I think it should be an option because some people like a disorganized list of notes.  Some people have a large batch of icons on their desktop while other have very few on the desktop.  To each his own,.

You can set what EN looks like when you open it, though not to a notebook list.  To do it, set the display as you want and do a File - Exit.  From that point on, unless you do a File Exit with a different display, EN will open to that view.  For example, if your inbox is mostly empty, set your context to Inbox and do a File - Exit.  No "messy" list at that point when you start EN. 

Valid enhancement request, but I'd change your view since this enhancement may not make it.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5*

Beyond what @CalS said, you can set up a shortcut to open Evernote to any notebook you like, or any search, for that matter. 

You'll be using the Evernote ENScript.exe utility that's part of the Windows installation. See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php#enscript.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q notebook:@Todo

One way to do this is the following:

• Right click on your desktop, and select New / Shortcut.
  • This will open up a dialog that prompts you for the location of the item. Navigate to the Evernote program folder (mine is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote"), and select the ENScript.exe application.  Click on "Next".
  • Give your shortcut a name, and click OK
  • Now right click on the new shortcut, and select "Properties"
  • In the Target field, you should see the full path to the ENScript.exe application.
  • Click in that field, and go to the end of text, after the closing quote. Per the documentation,  you can add one of a number of program arguments; the one we're interested in is "showNotes". The full syntax is "showNotes /q <search query>". In this case, you'd want a notebook query, so that would be "showNotes /q notebook:<notebook name>"; you'd just type that in at the end of the Target text. For example, mine looks like this (this is exact, including the quotes) and will open up Evernote in my @Todo notebook:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes /q notebook:@Todo

• Click OK to save it, and you're done.
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

you can set up a shortcut to open Evernote to any notebook you like, or any search, for that matter. 

Can you use this to open to tags view?  Didn't there used to be a Notebooks view, but no more?  I think that is what the OP is referencing.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, CalS said:

Can you use this to open to tags view?  Didn't there used to be a Notebooks view, but no more?  I think that is what the OP is referencing.

Uh, yeah. My mistake. No, I don't know of any way to start up in Notebook View or Tag view or any other left panel choices. Ah well, it's a good tip, but just not so much for this scenario. *shrug*

Thanks, CalS.  I guess am an organizing freak; have been since the old mainframe days.  In Evernote, I have a lot of notebooks (at least for me) just like I have a lot of folders in my Documents folder.  I can certainly live without this feature, just a suggestion.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Terp66 said:

Thanks, CalS.  I guess am an organizing freak; have been since the old mainframe days.  In Evernote, I have a lot of notebooks (at least for me) just like I have a lot of folders in my Documents folder.  I can certainly live without this feature, just a suggestion.

You are welcome.  Understood.  :)

3 hours ago, CalS said:

Didn't there used to be a Notebooks view, but no more?

There was.
There wasn't.
There is.

It went away for a while and then was resurrected in a new form. That's been available for a while now.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, dconnet said:

There was.
There wasn't.
There is.

Very zen... :)

3 hours ago, dconnet said:

It went away for a while and then was resurrected in a new form. That's been available for a while now.

I think the crux of this is that there's no way to start up in notebook view (or tags view, or shortcuts view, for that matter) automatically, except maybe if the last state is remembered on Evernote shutdown, and restored on startup (which I don't think is true). At least that I know of.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:32 PM, jefito said:

I think the crux of this is that there's no way to start up in notebook view (or tags view, or shortcuts view, for that matter) automatically

Yes, this is correct. Currently the program remembers the last "notebook" (in quotes as it applies to things like all-notes and workspace views). Remembering the last view would be a (nice!) feature enhancement.

Archived