Using the Secret Weapon & GTD

SLT6135

I read GTD and TSW and want to put it in practice - question: if I get an email with a single task in it, order new computer system), I know I can forward it to EN, tag it with a .When tag and others as appropriate, complete the task and move the email to my Completed notebook. Easy Peasy!

Now suppose I get an email with two (or more) projects (eg. develop master price list AND plan trade show). If I forward the email to Active Projects, I think I should make 2 projects. But what becomes of the original email? Seems like an open loop - it's just sitting there with no to-dos and will sit there till the cows come home whilst the two projects derived from the email are long forgotten.

Obviously I'm missing something here. Can you clue me?

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, SLT6135 said:

Now suppose I get an email with two (or more) projects (eg. develop master price list AND plan trade show).  ...  I think I should make 2 projects.

How do you identify your projects?  I use a Project Master note, and  tag: !Project - aaaaaaaaaa
I can assign multiple project tags to the email note.
If using the email as your Project Master note (not recommended), you need to duplicate it.

My projects contain many notes all linked by the project tag; the email is one of many.
For example
    -Project aaaaaaa (Project Master Note)
    ++Task (Next Action)
    + Task
    + Task

Miscellaneous (email)
    Miscellaneous
    Miscellaneous

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, SLT6135 said:

Obviously I'm missing something here. Can you clue me?

If it were me I would forward to EN.  If a single task email, just tag it.  If a multi task email, create a new note for each task with appropriate tags and link the email in those tasks.  And if you are really OCD, put links to the new notes in the email note.  No easy way in EN to add multiple to-do's to the same note.  

Archived