Is Evernote severely limited for Android?

I have now downloaded Evernote on my tablet (Samsung with Android) and I decided for the time being for the Basic level. Now it irritates me pretty much that I probably can not select the paper type. So lined or checkered or something. I've been looking for help the internet all the time, but I only find entries about Penultimate, which is for the iPad. Can one change the paper type and everything else with Android perhaps not at all, or does that possibly only with Premium or Plus?

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

1st I do not know, no Android user.

2nd even if it sounds rare for an app called everNOTE, EN is not strong on taking notes. In the iOS-world people use apps like Notability, Noteshelf or Goodnotes (my pick) that are much better on this, including the selection of all sorts of stationery, default and your own. Even the iOS-native Notes app is better suited for taking notes. Penultimate is more or less dead in the water, in my opinion.

The note taking ability of EN is quite basic. Good is that a note taken in EN Goes into the database without any further action. 

EN is strong in organizing digital information, which includes annotating docs like pdf files. This is a nice feature, but builds on a doc that is already on file. Top is the sync between devices, and the search for whatever „must be there, somewhere“.

From my point of view, there are plenty of other pending improvements for the EN coding team before creating „yet another“ note taking champion.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

2nd even if it sounds rare for an app called everNOTE, EN is not strong on taking notes. In the iOS-world people use apps like Notability, Noteshelf or Goodnotes (my pick) that are much better on this, including the selection of all sorts of stationery, default and your own. Even the iOS-native Notes app is better suited for taking notes. Penultimate is more or less dead in the water, in my opinion.

While I think we all would like a better note editor, the early point of Evernote was to quickly capture and retrieve "notes" as the word is described in the dictionary.

This has come to influence Evernote to this day. Your definiton of a note is not a note, but a document. A document can be put in a folder and folders can be put in other folders and so on. However, notes are taken in notebooks and you can't put books in other books, you can only stack books on top of each other. And you can't put stacks in other stacks without having one large stack. This is also reflected in Evernote

Those apps you are mentioning are more like simple word processing apps. But since Evernote is such a great retrieval app, I do wish they would implement a word processing mindset. The lack of good stylus support is probably caused by old code not playing well with such an implementation, Apple and Steve Jobs being very anti-stylus for a long time and the fact that it's still a small number that uses a stylus. I've had a good stylus since Surface 2, now on Surface 4 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 so I've wished for a long time for better pen support on all OS.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Your definiton of a note is not a note, but a document. A document can be put in a folder and folders can be put in other folders and so on.

I store everythingin Evernote; notes, documents, pdfs, images, spreadsheets, ....
A note can store files of any format.

Evernote's native format is enml/html; more suited to basic notes.
I have the choice of many editors; I chose the one that's best for the purpose.

Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate

I've been using evernote for a couple of years now and my data is getting larger by the day and I prefer to have all my data available for offline browsing. Evernote belive it or not there are still lots of locations in the UK that still do not have reliable data connections wifi or via your mobile phone provider. I've asked for the sdcard feature so many times and I get told the same reply "this will be forwarded to the development team"

• Level 5*
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:20 PM, BonJohnett said:

I am under the impression that Evernote is oriented more for the iPhones and iPads. Would it be more advisable to download my notes from Evernote switching to another, more "Android friendly" note app?

Personally I think the Android version is far superior to the iOS version..

Evernote for Android in my experience does seem like a bit of an afterthought. It has a lot of bugs (all reported to EN support) and using the latest version. Plus it just doesn't have the fluid user experience compared with the iOS app.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, anirog said:

it just doesn't have the fluid user experience compared with the iOS app.

The iOS app works ok for me but "fluid" is not one word that comes to mind when I use it.  I have an older phone which is partly to blame but performance has never been snappy for me.

• Level 5

My environment is mainly iOS combined with Win 10 for „real“ work. I do not feel a significant difference in performance between my iPhone 6S+ vintage 2015 and my iPad Pro 10,5, Vintage 2018 when using the iOS EN client.

The Apple Pencil works perfect on the iPad, but inside of EN with the many restrictions of the iOS client. The only feature where stylus work is fun with EN-iOS is annotating an existing pdf. Penultimate exists, but is lightyears behind actual notetaking apps like Goodnotes.

For serious tasks like my weekly review, labeling, tagging and sorting of new notes I rely on the Win-client., as with significant scanning jobs.

Without knowing the Android app I think it is more or less up to the iOS environment. One common issue is that the database is cloudbased, whereas the Win and Mac versions use their local DB for the job, and synchronize this to the cloud afterwards. This means that both iOS and Android work in a permanent load-change-backload-load-change- ... -cycle which isolates each note from the others, and is bad for performance. This makes it work on weak hardware, but on highly performant devices like my iPad Pro it is like driving a nice Porsche in 1st gear only, with the parking brake applied all the time. Probably this feel is similar on Android with todays multicore hardware.

• Level 5*
On 3/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, PinkElephant said:

Without knowing the Android app I think it is more or less up to the iOS environment.

??

Different applications. Different UI. Different feature set. 

On 3/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, PinkElephant said:

This means that both iOS and Android work in a permanent load-change-backload-load-change- ... -cycle which isolates each note from the others, and is bad for performance.

By default, yes, but untrue otherwise: on the Android client at least, premium users can designate specific notebooks as "offline", i.e., their contents are  be cached on your devices, so you need not always download from the cloud.

• Level 5

The „offline“ choice is available with iOS as well. But it is the exception, not the standard for the mobile apps.

Ans it does not allow for example to choose several notes at once and assign them the same tags, move them around as a group etc. So the basic gap in power functions persist on „offline“ notebooks. The only difference is that you have the notes in these notebook available when you are without any internet connection, or want to avoid roaming cost.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Ans it does not allow for example to choose several notes at once and assign them the same tags, move them around as a group etc.

I don't think multi-note process differences are offline/cloud related.

In fact, these are metadata operations; which is maintained on each device.

• Level 5

Whyever, however: Picking several notes at once and process them in one go by tagging, moving around or joining them is not possible on the mobile apps. As I read it, this is a result of the nonexistance of an EN database on the device itself. The app logic restricts all actions to a one-by-one.

This is why I tend to do my weekly housekeeping of EN with the Win10-app and not on my iPad, as I would prefer.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The „offline“ choice is available with iOS as well. But it is the exception, not the standard for the mobile apps.

There are two mobile Evernote applications, Android and iOS. Offline notebooks are available for both, so not an exception. Well, except for the fact that you have to be a premium user, and need to designate which ones are cached, I guess. Note that Windows users (and maybe Mac users?) can configure Evernote to use on-demand syncing of notes, to the full database may not reside on your local computer anyways. 

22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Picking several notes at once and process them in one go by tagging, moving around or joining them is not possible on the mobile apps. .As I read it, this is a result of the nonexistance of an EN database on the device itself. The app logic restricts all actions to a one-by-one.

No. It's a result of the fact that multi-select operations not implemented in the mobile applications.There's always some form of Evernote database available, but it's not the same as what's on desktop devices (and the Mac and Win Evernote databases differ anyways) -- it may not contain all note content, for example.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, PinkElephant said:

Whyever, however: Picking several notes at once and process them in one go by tagging, moving around or joining them is not possible on the mobile apps. As I read it, this is a result of the nonexistance of an EN database on the device itself. The app logic restricts all actions to a one-by-one.

Not sure what you fine gentlemen are discussing, just wanted to mention that selecting several notes and tagging or moving them in one go is most certainly available on Android, I tested it i just now, works fine.

Unfortunately Evernote Android has the most bugs and serious problems of any platform I have dealt with (all but the Mac).  The iOS version works very well, but very limited in features.

Archived