Intitle search shortcut

hafeesh

Idea

29 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, hafeesh said:

I am a paid user.

Note that for most issues here, it doesn't matter whether you are a paid user or not (bugs should be fixed or suggestions noted regardless of a user's subscription type), but you don't need to mention it in your posts, as your subscription type is noted in your user information to the left of any of your posts (yours' says "Subscription:PREMIUM").

50 minutes ago, hafeesh said:

I don't want to type intitle: always.

Please add the option to search only the title of the note in search settings PERMANENTLY.

So you're saying that you want this in Tools / Options / Search? Something like a checkbox labeled "Search only note titles for text terms", or something like that?

• Level 5*

Just for information,  and pending Evernote being able to consider this as an option at some point in the future,  I use a "text-expander" - Phrase Express (although it does WAY more than just expand short codes into longer words and phrases) to insert the date and time in my notes in various formats,  and to insert other words and phrases to avoid repetitive typing. 

I haven't tested it with the search box,  buy I'd imagine you could set up a range of Ctrl+<key> shortcut to generate search terms like intitle: as necessary.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I haven't tested it with the search box,  buy I'd imagine you could set up a range of Ctrl+<key> shortcut to generate search terms like intitle: as necessary.

Indeed you can.  Ctrl+Shift+I  Shift+Alt+I wraps intitle:”......” around whatever I have in the search box. 

Edited by CalS
Wrong hot key entered
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, hafeesh said:

I don't want to type intitle: always.

Please add the option to search only the title of the note in search settings PERMANENTLY.

I moved this discussion to the Feature Request Forum655554051_ScreenShot2018-12-14at08_04_33.png.92f04a51208d4ac09525eb23622176e0.png

Evernote/Mac has a search builder feature.
There's no intitle option. I find it easy to just type the search term

As per the others, I'd use scripting if this was a serious concern.
Also, there are also other search terms to be addressed

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, CalS said:

Indeed you can.  Ctrl+Shift+I wraps intitle:”......” around whatever I have in the search box. 

Hmmn.  Shift/Ctrl/I on my keyboard opens the "info" panel on the currently selected note!  -Which is something useful I didn't know (or didn't remember knowing) too. 

A few more PE codes need to be entered this weekend I think...  🤫

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Shift/Ctrl/I on my keyboard opens the "info" panel on the currently selected note!  -Which is something useful I didn't know (or didn't remember knowing) too. 

A few more PE codes need to be entered this weekend I think...  🤫

intitle:"Brainfa$#".  Shift+Alt+I is my hotkey.  Thanks, will fix the above.

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, jefito said:

Note that for most issues here, it doesn't matter whether you are a paid user or not (bugs should be fixed or suggestions noted regardless of a user's subscription type), but you don't need to mention it in your posts, as your subscription type is noted in your user information to the left of any of your posts (yours' says "Subscription:PREMIUM").

So you're saying that you want this in Tools / Options / Search? Something like a checkbox labeled "Search only note titles for text terms", or something like that?

Yes , I need such an option

Using AutoHotkey, entering two short characters (either qq or qv) gives me the desired search (after first copying the search string) .  This is is the code I use:

:*:qq::intitle:^v
:*:qv::intitle:"^v"

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Using AutoHotkey, entering two short characters (either qq or qv) gives me the desired search (after first copying the search string) .  This is is the code I use:

:*:qq::intitle:^v
:*:qv::intitle:"^v"

Ctrl+Alt+I puts Intitle:" on the front and " on the end of whatever I have in the search bar.  PhraseExpress is my tool of choice.  Term turns in Intitle:"Term".

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Ctrl+Alt+I puts Intitle:" on the front and " on the end of whatever I have in the search bar.  PhraseExpress is my tool of choice.  Term turns in Intitle:"Term".

Do you mean copy is automatic with that code?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

Do you mean copy is automatic with that code?

Not with the above phrase, it just wraps intitle around whatever is in the search bar. 

However, I also have a hotkey (Ctrl+<minus sign>) which places any text I've highlighted into the search bar in All Notes context, no matter what app the text appears in.  Easy enough to add the Intitle phrase to the end of it to get an intitle search for whatever the highlighted text may be.  Just haven't had the need.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:05 PM, hafeesh said:

I also created an autohotkey to insert intitle:

Now if i press F6 the cursor will move to search bar... then if i presee F7.. "intitle:" will be inserted....

That's great if that's enough for your needs.  The AH script below can add more automation, if you like:

1-It will copy any text in a text field in Evernote, if selected/highlighted, and will paste the clipboard into the search box as an intitle search.  Or

2-it will change any text in the search box into an intitle search (uncheck "Clear context on Search" in Options, Search, otherwise the Search box will be cleared without copying anything). 

I use Winkey+Z for the hotkey.

#z::
IfWinActive ahk_class ENMainFrame
{
Send ^c
Sleep 100
Send {F6}
Sleep 200
Send ^a
Sleep 100
Send ^x
Sleep 200
Send intitle:^v
Sleep 100
return
}
else
return

For  exact matching, replace ^v with "^v".

If anything other than a text field is selected, it might not work correctly. 

If script misbehaves, using higher numbers for "Sleep" should remove any errors.

Yes! I use intitle all the time, and I would love to see a button in the button bar for this.

What other software requires you to type the name of a frequently used feature?
The problem is, sometimes I spell it wrong, leave out the :, etc etc. Too much friction.

I use the "intitle:" search operator a thousand times a day to find notes with a certain word or phrase in the title.
It's one of my most used features in Evernote, it's bread and butter.

I wish there was a button in the menu bar (or somewhere else in the UI), so I could get to this with one click.

• Level 5*

I added my vote   

My preference would be a "button" in the Search box

Requests for this feature have been merged    
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*

Workaround.  I've added a PhraseExpress hotkey for this.  Whenever I press Shift+Ctrl+` context changes to all notes with intitle: in the search bar.  Takes less than a minute to create the phrase.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.26335df434d4c4baeda9c7dcf01e206b.png

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Gideonblaze said:

Most of my searches are "intitle:" Instead of having to type it out every time, it would be great to get a keyboard shortcut or other method to reduce keystrokes. Please!

You can roll your own with a text expander like PhraseExpress.  I have just such a hot key, Alt+Shift+I.  It adds intitle: and wraps quotes around whatever is in the search bar.  Not that hard pending EN adding or not adding such a thing.

ScreenClip.png.b2034a875613a228695c2a2d949b400b.png

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Gideonblaze said:

Most of my searches are "intitle:" Instead of having to type it out every time, it would be great to get a keyboard shortcut or other method to reduce keystrokes. Please!

Which device/platform are you using?

Keyboard shortcut (text substitution) is available on my Mac and iPad   
Also scripting on my Mac (Applescript)1350305885_ScreenShot2020-07-25at3_58_05PM.png.b2cc1e681bc4d198b4940c3fa5a0ce9f.png

The screenshot from my Mac shows an intitle: shortcut

I merged posts requesting this feature

Appreciate these responses, but honestly, going to a 3rd-party workaround is a royal pain. Considering the prevalence of this use-case, it should really be a feature of the core product, no?

Also, I want it for all devices (in my case Mac and iPhone, for now).

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Gideonblaze said:

Appreciate these responses, but honestly, going to a 3rd-party workaround is a royal pain. Considering the prevalence of this use-case, it should really be a feature of the core product, no?

Also, I want it for all devices (in my case Mac and iPhone, for now).

Your call.  For me though, rather than wait for something which may or may note be a feature of the core product in EN's view I found it worth the effort to create some of my own hot keys in areas where EN does not have them.  Particularly reminders.  Plus I use PhraseExpress to automate repetitive functions in other apps as well.  Horses for courses.  🤷‍♂️

Your call.  For me though, rather than wait for something which may or may note be a feature of the core product in EN's view I found it worth the effort to create some of my own hot keys in areas where EN does not have them. 

Tried the keyboard shortcut, it's way clunky. We deserve this feature! Come on! I pay $70/year and typing "intitle:" is something I do 50x a day! Love this product. The only things I think the devs should be working on is: 1) Speed; 2) Intitle shortcut.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Gideonblaze said:

Tried the keyboard shortcut, it's way clunky. We deserve this feature! Come on! I pay $70/year and typing "intitle:" is something I do 50x a day! Love this product. The only things I think the devs should be working on is: 1) Speed; 2) Intitle shortcut.

Cool. Not sure what is clunky about a hot key like Alt+Shift+I or whatever is free that one would want to set it to.  A hot key is a hot key.  Another product in the mix for sure though. 

• Level 5

Legacy is end of life - what it has got, is there, no new features, not even bug fixes (if any are found).

Personally I use legacy for some features that v10 is still lacking. For normal tasks it is increasingly v10, which is gaining new capabilities with each release. Not quite enough yet, but getting closer.

• Level 5

No issues.

Since legacy works off the local database, not the EN server, maybe check your computer when it happens. You can use the activity monitor (Mac) or task manager (Win) to look for CPU or memory intensive jobs.

• Level 5*
On 5/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, qofmiwok said:

I went back to legacy a while ago, but the past few days it's freezing up a lot.  Anyone else having this issue?

Legendary Windows desktop (6.25.1) working fine for me.  Fast and productive.