(Archived) Omnifocus integration

I see at least one thread dating back a couple years with nearly 40 replies echoing the desire for Omnifocus integration - specifically requesting, for example, linking Evernotes to tasks in Omnifocus... have Evernote devs followed this request? Are there any creative integration plans - perhaps a trunk extension?

We read every post, thanks for the feedback.

Omnifocus looks like a nice application, and we'd love to see some sort of integration in our Trunk, but I don't think we'll have internal engineers focusing on this in the near future.

Thanks for clearing this up, Allworld and engberg! Sad to hear that nothing is likely to happen on this front in the near future. It's not really a question of Omnifocus integration I think, but of the ability to link to a specific Evernote document from any application, including Evernote itself.

Of course something that worked only for OF would be a great help in and of itself, but I suspect that something that worked for OF would work for most other OSX apps as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like to request the ability to link to a specific Evernote note from anywhere in the Mac OS filesystem. Both from a calendar event and from OmniFocus. It would be ok with me if a note had to be sync'd to the server prior to being able to be linked if it is a matter of getting a GUID.

Seems like it could help a lot more applications than just OF although that is one of particular interest to me. I am personally (albeit likely in the minority) interested in Evernote integration with Outlook 2011 for Mac (currently in Beta). This app is VERY good, surprising I know.

cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yes, I too would like to be able to link to individual notes in Evernote. There are two ways I can think of that could be done without making some probably tricky OS integration that would allow some kind of OLE functionality:

1. Use links to the web version. If you browse EN in a web browser and view a note, you can drag the URL out of the browser to create a direct link to the note. But what we'd need is a way to make those links from the desktop app - ideally by dragging the note from the list view. Even better would be if the Evernote app was able to detect when you try to open such a URL and display the resulting note in the desktop app rather than in a web browser.

2. Make some kind of search link that performs a search in Evernote for the title of the note. There is already a homebrew Snow Leopard service that allows you to highlight a line of text in a cocoa app and send it to Evernote for searching.

Perhaps if there was some way to register a custom transport protocol with an application you could make custom URLs that could interact with the desktop app. e.g. "evn://12345-67890"

[EDIT] OMG, you can totally do just that: http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?HowToR ... URLHandler

I'm a longtime OmniFocus user, and I don't expect to drop it. It gives me a really good flow for getting tasks done. Capture it - do it - check it off - gone.

I find, however, that I need something complementary to retain information and organize it. I had used outliners for this but the strict hierarchy doesn't really work. Evernote sounds just right, so I'm giving it my first try. Perhaps I could move my voluminous "someday/maybe" lists to Evernote to good effect.

Objectives:

turn evernote notebooks into omnifocus folders or projects, and vice-versa

contextual menu turning an omnifocus item into an evernote note

cross-linking between OF and EN

Doesn't Evernote have any services or contextual menus?

• Level 5

Gee, everyone is talking about how great Omnifocus software is. I've never heard of the Omnifocus program, so I Googled it. The software looks like it is for Apple operating systems only.

I searching for "Windows" on the Omnifocus site and found this little gem:

• User: Can I use virtualization software to run Apple OS on my Win 7 laptop *and* then install OmniGraphSketcher?
    Omni staff: This is theoretically possible, but I don't know of any virtualization software that allows the installation of OS X on a Windows machine.

I'd say that Evernote has made the correct decision. Omnifocus might be super for apple users, but Evernote has a larger mult-platform audience to serve.

Archived