Possible to go back one screen?

TdeV

Like the BACK button in my browser, go back to exactly where I was (in the Desktop version).

If it's not possible, would a moderator please move this to the wish list forum?

This problem could also be solved by giving me the ability to have two windows open at the same time. This would be enormously helpful when doing tag maintenance.

• Level 5*

I use the forward/back arrows (screenshot from my Mac)     1255592802_ScreenShot2018-12-09at08_45_59.png.f7eb6eba8adffaebca15cda8f9167bb2.png

IOS has a similar back arrow featureIMG_2754.thumb.jpg.c0cbc8c7a989bb2b95bbbc2db628ce43.jpg

>>ability to have two windows open at the same time. 

I can have multiple windows open; either note or note-list windows (Mac)
248166926_ScreenShot2018-12-09at08_50_25.png.be02391edb908752f54454164b406463.png621265138_ScreenShot2018-12-09at08_50_41.png.cc21ceaba4ec28e0fa74c4cd82f12820.png

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Like the BACK button in my browser, go back to exactly where I was (in the Desktop version).

It really helps to mention which Evernote application you are using, e.g. Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or Web.

In the Evernote for Windows, there are two tools that are available for the toolbar that move back and forward in your note history (you may have to add them igf they're not there by default):

image.png.bf20671714c9b101189f605416365737.png

In addition, the same functionality is exposed using the hotkeys Alt+ArrowLeft (back) and Alt+ArrowRight (forward).

@jefito, my Evernote version is in my sig line. I don't know how to make my sig line less grey. Moreover, I would happily change my designation of "guru" which I am not, but could not find a way to do that either.

Which are the two tools? Do you mean that little blue box? How do I find out what those tools do?

I'm not trying to reverse a note version, I'm trying to back up to the screen before the one I'm on, e.g. I started in Tag List Screen, then went to notes tagged by something, then to an individual note. I want to get back to the Tag List Screen.

Thanks

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, TdeV said:

@jefito, my Evernote version is in my sig line. I don't know how to make my sig line less grey.  Moreover, I would happily change my designation of "guru" which I am not, but could not find a way to do that either.

Hah -- missed it -- sorry about that. You should be able to change the sig in your forum account settings. Go to the top right hand of any forum page, and look for your name, with your avatar just to the left of it. Click on your name, and that should open up a popup menu. Click on "Account settings", and you'll go to a web page where you can change your signature: you can edit/format it like any post in the forum. Sorry, but you're stuck with the "guru" badge, as that's based on post count. I thought that was a way to change the "Guru" text (that's your "Rank, evidently), and I changed mine to "Grue" a while back, but somehow I can't seem to find it now.

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

Which are the two tools? Do you mean that little blue box? How do I find out what those tools do?

It's the left and right arrows just left of the blue box. Hover your mouse over them, and like other toolbar buttons, they'll have some text to tell you their function. If they're not showing up for you, then you'll need to add them ( right click on an icon in the toolbar and select "Customize toolbar",  then drag/drop the icon that you want onto the toolbar). For example, the left arrow hover text says "Click to go back, hold to see history (Alt+Left"). These are "note history" (my bad) but rather "navigation history", similar to the back/forward buttons in your browser. Give them a try!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, TdeV said:

I'm not trying to reverse a note version, I'm trying to back up to the screen before the one I'm on, e.g. I started in Tag List Screen, then went to notes tagged by something, then to an individual note. I want to get back to the Tag List Screen.

The forward and backward arrows only work on notes, none of the other views.  Would need to submit an enhancement request for backing up though the other screens, I think.  Otherwise, just have to click on tag list again.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, CalS said:

The forward and backward arrows only work on notes, none of the other views.  Would need to submit an enhancement request for backing up though the other screens, I think.  Otherwise, just have to click on tag list again.

Actually, I've found that you can go forward/back though searches, including notebook filters, tags, shortcuts, single note selections etc. It's pretty handy for that, though I haven't used it extensively enough to know where it doesn't work. And as far as I can tell, it will even back up through the tag and notebook panels.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, jefito said:

Actually, I've found that you can go forward/back though searches, including notebook filters, tags, shortcuts, single note selections etc. It's pretty handy for that, though I haven't used it extensively enough to know where it doesn't work. And as far as I can tell, it will even back up through the tag and notebook panels.

Yeah, my attempted point was that the arrows cycle notes whatever the context, not tag view or notebook view or the like, which is the OP desire. 

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, my attempted point was that the arrows cycle notes whatever the context, not tag view or notebook view or the like, which is the OP desire. 

You might be right; maybe I'm not sure quite what's being asked for. But the navigation history seems to answer the following request, so maybe I'm missing something else

17 hours ago, TdeV said:

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, jefito said:

You might be right; maybe I'm not sure quite what's being asked for. But the navigation history seems to answer the following request, so maybe I'm missing something else

Hard to tell.  I’ve had spurious results with the arrows, not backing up in the sequence notes were viewed and sometimes getting the drop down of recent notes as opposed to last note.  So I don’t trust the arrows too much.  

Now I’m in a period where back arrow takes me back a note vs the list, a good thing.  Still, not developkng any PhraseExpress macros with them.   🤷‍♂️

Archived