Exporting College Notes

Budminsta

Hello,

So I've just finished my first semester at college using Evernote and I wish to export my notes to my drive account so I can declutter my Evernote for a new semester. How you guys think is the best way to export? If I save them as HTML, will they be available forever, like a PDF? (I'm not familiar with this format).

Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 12/6/2018 at 2:59 PM, Budminsta said:

I wish to export my notes to my drive account so I can declutter my Evernote for a new semester.

Why export?

It is very easy in Evernote to segregate Notes using either Notebooks or Tags.  You could, for example, move all of your 2019 Notes into a Notebook, or Stack, named College_2018_Fall (or any name you prefer).  Then, you could create a new Notebook or Stack for College_2019_Spring. Then you can limit your searches and tag filters to specific NB (or Stack).  No clutter, but you still have your entire college notes quickly at hand if/when you need them.

I use the above naming convention so that Notebooks will sort in expected order, and I use underscores ("_") rather than spaces because that makes it easier to search or specify the NB name.  If you need to use Notebooks each semester for different things (like subject, class, etc), you could use Stacks for the semester, and then put the Notebooks for that semester in that Stack.  However, each NB will still have to have a unique name, so use either a prefix or suffix to make unique if you need to do so.  However, since each class has a unique class number, you could just use "English_101" for example.

I would probably use Tags for Subjects, like "English", or "SUBJ.English", which I prefer.  This allows you to easily select your subjects from a list just by typing "subj." in the Tag Assign or Filter tools.

Good luck, and don't worry to much about organization.  It is easy to change in Evernote, and I have done major re-organizations 2 or 3 times since I have been using Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 12/6/2018 at 3:59 PM, Budminsta said:

...so I can declutter my Evernote ... How you guys think is the best way to export?

As per @JMichaelTX, I would leave the notes in Evernote.
This is the best place to store them.  
Declutter by using a notebook/tag name strategy.

In answer to your question.  imho HTML is the best format for your export.  
Here's a sample from my backups951619062_ScreenShot2018-12-07at15_30_17.png.90361d219662afe4aa83830399f8984a.png

>>If I save them as HTML, will they be available forever, like a PDF? (I'm not familiar with this format).

This is a good choice for a future proof format.  No guarantee as to "forever"

HTML is the format used for web pages, and can be viewed by any web browser app.
It's the format of the post you're currently reading
Evernote stores notes in ENML format; a fork of HTML

Note: Attachments retain their native format; for example pdf

• 4 months later...

FWIW, I have done the opposite of what you were planning to do in the original note - I use Google Drive during the semester as it's an easy way  for me to keep my notes for each week's module in Google docs and then in folders on the Google Drive.  I also have a lot of articles I have to read as part of my courses, so those are also filed as pdfs in those folders so it's all together.  AT the end of the semester I export each document as a pdf and tag it with the course name, semester and year and then put into Evernote so everything is searchable for the future.  I have one notebook which is just for school work (my masters degree), one notebook which is a home/personal filing cabinet, and one for articles which I use in my work on a frequent basis.  I don't keep the school work in separate notebooks by course but just rely on the tags

• Level 5*
On 12/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, Budminsta said:

backup my notes as HTML's just in case.

ENEX is a much better choice for backup purposes.  When you restore (import) ENEX all data will be restored except Notebook.  This is NOT the case with HTML.

But you should test this for yourself.  Export the same Note as ENEX and as HTML, and then import both.  Examine the differences.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Export the same Note as ENEX and as HTML, and then import both.  Examine the differences.

Import wasn't mentioned as a requirement; just "will they be available forever, like a PDF"