Encrypt a whole note?

TdeV

Idea

Reminder please (google is not helping):

I have one note where the entire note is encrypted, not merely some of the content.

Trouble is, I can't remember how I did it!

Help, please? TIA

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, TdeV said:

Reminder please (google is not helping):

I have one note where the entire note is encrypted, not merely some of the content.

Trouble is, I can't remember how I did it!

Help, please? TIA

Encryption worked a bit differently pre new tables?

• Level 5

@TdeV Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? We've never offered the ability to encrypt an entire note, so I'm interested to see what you're observing. Hopefully, we can figure out a solution from there. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

@TdeV Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? We've never offered the ability to encrypt an entire note, so I'm interested to see what you're observing. Hopefully, we can figure out a solution from there. Let me know if you have any other questions!

You can't select a note and encrypt it, but if your note is wholly text, then you can select it all and encrypt that. Maybe that's what's going on.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:31 PM, jefito said:

... if your note is wholly text, then you can select it all and encrypt that. Maybe that's what's going on.

Maybe. I have used Control+A on another note, and encrypted that. However, I was not asked for a password, so I'll have to find out more about that. And I don't seem to be able to change the hint (by unencrypting then re-encrypting the text). So, I have some experimentation required!

Edited to add: The note is a list of passwords so, no, I can't post it.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, TdeV said:

The note is a list of passwords so, no, I can't post it.

You said the note is encrypted2112982655_ScreenShot2018-12-07at15_41_27.png.b46935abf8601b50baddb8feddcced48.png

I have no concerns posting this screenshot of my secret passwords

• Like 1

I have an encrypted note (or all text withing a note).  EN allows me to edit the note and it will remain encrypted when saved without selecting the new text for encryption.   Also discovered that I can delete the encryption passphrase just by writing over it.   I did this by mistake in trying to get into my encrypted note.  I clicked it once and just started typing.  The new text replaced the encryption icon.  I then could not get into the encrypted text because the passphrase icon was replaced by this new text.  I was able to recover the note in history and figured out that  you have to double click the passphrase icon for the dialog box to pop-up.  Surely it can't be that easy to loose access to an encrypted note?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, patrick.dlenih1@gmail.com said:

It seems that the way to encrypt an entire note that can be edited without re-encrypting new text is to add the new text before the end of the note.   e.g., add "END of Note" (or some notation at the end) and edit anything before that.

I have a template which mainly consists of two lines of text with several blank lines between them.  The paragraph has been encrypted.  I can use the template to save an encrypted note by decrypting,  editing and re-saving.  AFAIK the plain text never hits the server.

Hi, I tried to encrypt a very large entire note, but when I select all text, the option "Encrypt Select Text" is not available (literally disappear). However, if I select partial text within this note, right click to display options menu, the "Encrypt Select Text" appears again. 

There is a way to encrypt a whole note (very large note) or I should split the note in several notes?

Thanks in advance

(I use EN since 2013, and now I'm running Evernote 10.32.4 on MacBookPro)

PS: I guess I've discovered the reason because Encrypt option was missing: in my very large note, I have a text formatted as 'numbered list', as soon as I re-format this text as normal, Encrypt Select Text was available again.

Edited by Dave68
update
  • Level 5*
On 3/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, Dave68 said:

I guess I've discovered the reason

Yup.  Evernote will encrypt plain text only.  To add images and other styling,  try a word processor or PDF editor - you can encrypt the file and attach that  to your note.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yup.  Evernote will encrypt plain text only.  To add images and other styling,  try a word processor or PDF editor - you can encrypt the file and attach that  to your note.

Thank you for your prompt response @gazumped!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I would think about the personal motivation to encrypt text using the EN encryption in general:

1) EN is no password manager, and should not be used as such !

2) Most of us do not hold the nuclear strike keys or similar. Since attachments (that are IMHO more likely to contain sensitive information) must be encrypted outside of EN anyhow, only (own) text is left.

3) All traffic with the EN server is transport encrypted, and all data on the server is encrypted as well during storage. Only for server side services - performed by bots, not humans - encryption is lifted.

4) Using strong account security including strong, unique passwords plus 2FA enhances security further.

I think when running down this list, not much is left for this text-only encryption.

My personal favorite for a revised encryption would be to have encrypted notebooks (at least one). What goes in there is encrypted, with everything contained in these notes.