Print Preview gone!

I have avoided upgrading for a while because of so many things get broken in each new version. Yesterday I dared to go to 6.16.4.8094. Thought it was OK until I went to print a Note. I have always used Print Preview to make adjustments and check the number of pages being printed. Its nothing but a pdf in an Adobe! And no way to set margins anymore, the default seems to be about a half inch. Page Setup is now completely useless. Has no effect on printing. HELP! I would like to stick with the new version, I really like having two databases open a the same time, but this another bug I have found are sending me back to an old one. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dvgibson said:

I am using the released version 6.16. Sure I can see Print Preview on the menu just like you. Have you clicked on it to see what it does? 

Sure I have. It produces a PDF file that, when viewed (mine opens up in Chrome, which is how I have configured as my PDF viewer), that allows me to see how it would look when printed. I'd call that a print preview, of sorts, though not as nice as being able to adjust settings on the fly. You're right about the Page Setup margins -- those seem to be ignored in Print Preview and Print to PDF; orientation seems to work, at least it did when I tried it. I'd call that a bug. I'll report that over in the beta 6.17.1 thread.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, dvgibson said:

Thanks, jafito, for confirming what I saw. A lot of what I do with Evernote is pretty up documents to be printed, most of the time just one page. I have reverted back to 6.7.6 until I hear good news. 

No problem -- I very rarely print anything at all (mostly crossword puzzles for my wife :)), much less from Evernote, so I never really noticed that one. Hope that it gets fixed soon.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, dvgibson said:

A lot of what I do with Evernote is pretty up documents to be printed, most of the time just one page.

Interesting. I'm a little curious as to why you picked Evernote for this purpose. 90% of the threads on this forum come under the heading of "Evernote is great at doing a lot of things, but its editor really reeks." Which it kinda does, though things have improved a good deal lately. Using it to pretty up documents seems counterintuitive to me.

Well Dave, I don't need much of an editor. I need a place to store everything and then find it, and have it accessible from anywhere and any computer. And when I print documents is doesn't take much. If I need to get fancy I go to Google or Word.  I see now reason why they should have broken print preview, or a lot of other things either.  

• Level 5

Thanks for the reply. I guess "prettying up" is relative--a dash of paint can work in Evernote, while complete redecorating requires other software, as you say. A lot of things did get broken over the last year or two, some of it having to do with changes to underlying Chromium code, or something like that, over which EN had no control. Why print preview should be one of those, however, escapes me too.

• Level 5

Let me throw out a couple of thoughts about what may be the advantages of the PDF (non-) print preview. Because it opens in my system's default PDF viewer (which for me is vanilla Acrobat), I can proceed to print out from within that. The print quality is about the same (though pagination may differ slightly), and Acrobat gives me some print options not available within the Evernote program. I can print selected pages or print multiple pages per sheet, for instance. I can also annotate the PDF "preview," and save it. So while this seems like a really odd choice, it does offer some alternative possibilities.

Dave, I can go along with that, if I can set margins. I tried but no success. The page setup in Evernote does not translate to the PDF. One piece of what I do with Evernote (just one of many!) involves keeping some printed notebooks up to date and they need margins. Yep, someone could access them online, but that means they need another laptop or tablet to keep some written instructions that they might need to scribble on while they are busy following the instructions and looking stuff up on their laptop. 

Archived