(Archived) Request: Way to highlight content in clips

I love Evernote & have been using it for years. I am starting to use Evernote to store web pages I want to save. I had been using 'Scrapbook' in Firefox but am exploring using Safari & realized that I could use Evernote for both! What I'd like to request (urge!) is an ability to highlight text. I can use the color option to create an approximation, but it's a bit more complicated that I would like for this purpose. I know annotating can become fancy, but for me, simply the ability to block & turn the background of a chunk of text yellow by clicking an icon or using a key combination would be great. And as someone else mentioned, sticky type notes would also be nice, but for me, not essential. (If you want an example, add the Scrapbook extension & see how it works. It's actually more elaborate than absolutely necessary, but since it's available I do occasionally choose different highlighting for different purposes.)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a feature that I have been silently pining away for for a long time as well. Although I would like a robust set of annotation options: Highlighting not just for text clips, but for pdfs and images, with styling options (different colours, underlining, strike-out, &c.). Sticky note additions to any note, especially those little arrow shaped ones that point to a specific bit of content. The ability to add marginalia notations, text or image (handwritten!). ToDo checkboxes on stickies and in marginalia. And (semantic) links between notes, and/or between annotations.

Essentially, though I already love Evernote, I would like it not only to "remember everything" but to remember everything and allow for the addition of complex, semantic metadata to it.

I would like to add my vote for a "Highlighter tool".

Almost every note that I create or clip there is important text that I need to highlight so that the next time I view this note the important information stands out.

While other annotation features would definitely be welcomed, I would prefer to start with something simple so it can be quickly implemented and released.

A Highlighter tool that funtions like MS Word or Adobe Acrobat would be great!

Please add the Highlighter tool to the Formatting Toolbar along with a shortcut key that turns it on/off.

Thanks.

The recently released Noterize app for the iPad does a number of the things that I was looking for. It does integrate with Dropbox and Box.net, but so far, not Evernote. If it did, Evernote wouldn't necessarily need to offer these features natively, though that would probably still be ideal.

The recently released Noterize app for the iPad does a number of the things that I was looking for. It does integrate with Dropbox and Box.net, but so far, not Evernote. If it did, Evernote wouldn't necessarily need to offer these features natively, though that would probably still be ideal.

I have to respectively disagree.

I don't see Noterize as the general solution for EN highlighting for these reasons:

1. [*:3d4tn2ll]Most of us need a solution that works across all platforms, particularly Win and Mac
    [*:3d4tn2ll]It appears Noterize's primary focus is on annotation of PDFs and PowerPoint docs, with some limited capability to highlight plain text notes.
    [*:3d4tn2ll]It would be much more productive and easier to use to simply add a highlight button and shortcut to the Win and Mac toolbar.
    [*:3d4tn2ll]Since this is simple HTML/CSS, I suspect it would be much easer to implement than an interface with a 3rd party app like Noterize.

I am not against having an interface with Noterize, but I don't think it is the best solution and should come AFTER basic highlighting is added tot he EN toolbar.

I'll throw my vote in for this as well.

I'm new to evernote and just imported some onenote 2010 sections.

I started editing the pages in evernote and went to turn off the text highlighting which was on some of the imported text... after a few minutes of searching I ended up here...

• Level 5

The main reason for highlighting is to bring attention to a portion of the note - to make it stand out.

I use a very cool program called READABILITY to capture the majority of the websites I am interested in. The free program eliminates most of the clutter and ads. The captured text is easy to read and has a consistent format.

http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability

To bring attention to a section of the note, I use 4 steps

1.) Highlight the text

2.) Change font size from 14 default to 18

3.) Change the color of the text from black to bright red

4.) Bold the text

So when I see some large bold bright-red text, I know that it is something that is important.

And unlike highlighting, it lets me do it right now.

. . . To bring attention to a section of the note, I use 4 steps . . .

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, the basics of text formatting in EN. :wink:

Of course, the thread orginator already mentioned that option, which does not work as well a true highlighting.

I love Evernote & have been using it for years. . .What I'd like to request (urge!) is an ability to highlight text. I can use the color option to create an approximation, but it's a bit more complicated that I would like for this purpose. I know annotating can become fancy, but for me, simply the ability to block & turn the background of a chunk of text yellow by clicking an icon or using a key combination would be great. . .

We need true highlighting in EN. Many, many programs offer this simple feature.

It is easily implemented. It requires only a very small amount of HTML/CSS code to achieve this.

• Level 5

JMUnderwood11

Too bad you don't follow the same rules. The fact that a subject has been mentioned before would cut back dramatically on your comments.

Why do you keep trashing user replies when they are pointing out ways to achieve similar results and can be accomplished immediately?

My comment seems to have struck a never: And unlike highlighting, it lets me do it right now.

Versus your standard response of pooh-poohing anything that does not fit into your Unicorns and Rainbows view of the way you want the world to be run?

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

• Level 5*

Once again, the request for highlighting seems reasonable, and somewhere back aways, I think, the Evernote folks indicated that it's on their list. You can work around true highlighting (which I take to be a background color change) by modifying the text foreground color.

So I believe that this thread is done for all useful purposes.

~Jeff

Archived