Bug: Note title too long sends user in endless loop

Hey, apparently Evernote allows us to type in a note title that exceeds a certain (undisclosed) character limit but after we do so:

- a modal error dialog pops-up

- it's impossible to clear the dialog or return to edit the note title as 'closing' the message just triggers an endless loop of new modal dialogs (Win 10)

I've encountered this many times over the years.

P.S. Why do you make it so hard for a Basic user to email you such bugs? I couldn't find a way to do so after going through your whole contact us process.

Evernote_bug.jpg

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums! These forums are mainly user-to-user; Evernote staff may look into them and comment on occasion, but not predictably, so you're not really addressing Evernote directly here. And of course non-paid (Basic) subscriptions don't give access to Evernote support, except I think by Twitter.

All that said, the loop does sound like a bug. A long title might reasonably produce an error, but the error should be handled better than this. I haven't run into it myself, since I tend to use fairly short titles, so beyond that I'm not much use, I'm afraid. :blush:

Can you detail how you got into that loop? I just tried (with the current beta 6.17.1) and the message is displayed once. I can then edit the title. It works this way both when the new note is created in a window and when it isn't.

• 10 months later...

Ran into this same issue today. Windows x64 Desktop client. 

On 12/3/2018 at 11:28 PM, dconnet said:

Can you detail how you got into that loop? I just tried (with the current beta 6.17.1) and the message is displayed once. I can then edit the title. It works this way both when the new note is created in a window and when it isn't.

By typing a title that was long! The error popped up and refused to go away till I opened taskmanager and killed evernote. I could recover the note after opening.

3 hours ago, Sid DS said:

Ran into this same issue today. Windows x64 Desktop client. 

By typing a title that was long! The error popped up and refused to go away till I opened taskmanager and killed evernote. I could recover the note after opening.

I have never seen that error, but I suspect it is easily avoidable by simply allowing the first line of the body of the note to serve as the title, automatically. 

I only mess with the title when I want a short title.

• Level 5

Hi @Sid DS, and welcome to the forums! I don't use long titles either, but I don't see any reason why people shouldn't if it fits their purposes and workflow. And I still feel that Evernote ought to specify the allowed length of a title, and handle the error more gracefully (though apparently at least @dcon didn't run into the looping).

I hate to say it, but it may be necessary for the user to do the testing. On your next coffee break, create a note with a 100-character title ("123456789A123456789B...123456789J"). If that works, try 120 characters, then 140. When it fails, try lengths in between what works and what fails till you find the breakpoint. Tedious and annoying, but should lead to the necessary information. And again, I don't think you should have to do this; but it may be that you do.

Just for fun, I created a title with 911 characters, no error, then went over 1,000, still no error, then attempted to copy and paste it again (that's how I counted the characters), then the error appeared, and it truncated the title to 479 characters.

So maybe 479 is the limit.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

The original error was easy enough to replicate. Create a string 300 characters long (0123456789012345678901...", copy it into the Title area, and press Enter. Get the "too long" message. Easy enough to fix: shorten the title.. Never saw any inescapable loop. Folks who *have* seen it on the most recent release (I'm running 6.21.2.8716 (308716) Public (CE Build ce-62.5.9981)), should give a precise set of steps to replicate.

Oh, and the title length limit is specified in the API: it's 256 Unicode characters (http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/Limits.html#Const_EDAM_NOTE_TITLE_LEN_MAX). Evidently it's enforced differently in the Windows client (if not others).

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, jefito said:

Oh, and the title length limit is specified in the API

Ah, in the API. The first place every user looks for this sort of info. :rolleyes: Not rolling my eyes at you, Jeff. Thanks for finding that. Why on earth that can't just be stated somewhere in the online help beats me.

• 10 months later...

I have the same error. 

Copied a bunch of pictures, and used the "Paste to Evernote" feature. It created a title concatenating the filenames of all the file, without any issue or warning. 

Then I tried to change the title, by adding at the beginning "copied from folder XX" (and I did not bother to delete all the subsequent filenames). Now my evernote is stuck in an endless loop.  I will have to force shut the app. I use Win10 N Education v2004, and Evernote 6.24. 

Do you know where I can report this bug?