Jump to content
jondoe888

unknown device

Recommended Posts

I have a free account, using my computer and android phone. For the 3rd time, maybe monthly, I get locked out because an iphone is now in the list. I get 'iphone - last used 4 days ago'. 
Is someone trying to use my account, a hack, or is this an Evernote scam, to get people to go premium?
And E'note only seems to answer questions for pay users. If I'm at the computer, I can easily delete the unknown phone. But it's still annoying. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

Evernote had a problem with the device list, but indicates it should be resolved now

This could indicate an authorized access to your account by someone who know's your password.
You should change your password, and only use it for Evernote.  Don't use the same password on other sites.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote had a problem with the device list, but indicates it should be resolved now

FYI, my understanding of the problem with the devices that several users reported on the forum is that it was specific to daylight savings on November 4th. Short story is that during the 1 hour time window where we repeated an hour (due to rolling back clock), the system essentially thought that requests from the same device were two different devices due to DST and time zone. Problem was fixed up and nobody should see the issue anymore.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm still having this problem but I've just logged into my web account and revoked access for said iPhone. Hope this did the trick.

Share this post


Link to post

It didn't... Just had to do a MacBook software update and when I logged into my laptop again this mysterious iPhone had to be unsynced again. Something's up...

Share this post


Link to post

The same happened with my account also. Don't know how it was hacked.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, and welcome to the forums! Did you read through the thread and check out some of the suggestions? Main thing is to be sure you use a unique password for Evernote, as hackers are using stolen lists of passwords for other sites to try to get into Evernote.

Share this post


Link to post

If locked out because of Basic and number of devices, use the web client.

Change your Login password to one that is both unique and random, and has at least a mix of 15 letters, both lower and upper case, numbers and symbols. Never reuse passwords, and do not modify used passwords only a little to make a „new“ one. EN has not been hacked, but there are a lot of login lists circulating in the internet stolen elsewhere. The only way to handle today’s number of accounts and passwords IMHO is a password manager.

After you did this, it is highly recommended to activate 2-factor authentication. For basic Accounts there is only Google Authenticator as an option. Use it, because it makes a) stealing accounts nearly impossible and b) you will get an e-mail in the future when somebody tries to enter your account.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/28/2018 at 7:04 PM, jondoe888 said:

I have a free account, using my computer and android phone. For the 3rd time, maybe monthly, I get locked out because an iphone is now in the list. I get 'iphone - last used 4 days ago'. 
Is someone trying to use my account, a hack, or is this an Evernote scam, to get people to go premium?
And E'note only seems to answer questions for pay users. If I'm at the computer, I can easily delete the unknown phone. But it's still annoying. Thanks

I have a simillar problem, and i think the E'note tryin to get me subscribed. It wasn't problem before it kicks my real phone by the app, and now I cant connect from it. App says: "the number of deletion and addition of new devices is exceeded, you cannot connect this device". But I don’t know where this fkn iPhone comes from every time, it appears approximately once every 2-3 weeks. I logged only by Google and logged out of any other device which I don't use. WTF EVERNOTE?!

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, @Anatoliy Trots, and welcome to the forums. I noticed you quoted the first post here. Did you look through the rest? There was some information offered. Sometimes this is due to a password getting stolen and used to access your account from another device, often an iPhone.

Share this post


Link to post

This means that probably your password is compromised.

First step is to go to your account using the web client. Before you proceed, change your PW to a unique password, not used for other services as well, following the rules for strong passwords. Best is to use a password manager to help you with creating and handling of passwords.

Once you have changed your account login, go to the devices page and throw the unknown device out of your account.

For an extra layer of security, you could as well activate 2-FA. Since you are on Basic, you have to use Google Authenticator for this.

If you did it right, the unknown device should not be able to return.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, Anatoliy Trots said:

I have a simillar problem, and i think the E'note tryin to get me subscribed. It wasn't problem before it kicks my real phone by the app, and now I cant connect from it. App says: "the number of deletion and addition of new devices is exceeded, you cannot connect this device". But I don’t know where this fkn iPhone comes from every time, it appears approximately once every 2-3 weeks. I logged only by Google and logged out of any other device which I don't use. WTF EVERNOTE?!

Not sure if this is related but Evernote recently made a change for Basic customers in how many times you can unsync devices per month.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...