Possible Dark-Mode for Windows SIMPLE Workaround Found

Until EN find the time to help us EN-for-Windows users also have a Dark-Mode Feature/Option, like was introduced for IOS and Android a few days ago, I believe I have stumbled upon a great little Dark-Mode workaround.

This workaround is BETTER than just creating an EN Template that consists of a Single Row/Column Table that has a Dark Cell-Background... And not as involved (as I'm not a Coder/Computer Guy) to implement, as the More Complete and excellent solution that @RobertJSawyer graciously developed and shared with us all.

I was reading a post the other day about someone importing Excel tables when @ctxhou promoted his 'EverTool' (ET) app as a solution.  I went and purchased the app on the MS-Store for $7.45 AUD, mostly just for the ability to create Heading Banners  in a Note, plus the feature of being able to Resize Images quickly.

Anyway whilst creating a Text-Banner using ET, I realised I could use this feature to create a dark-mode note background, then save it as a template (see template image). 

Whats great about this workaround, is the new Note background auto resizes when using key 'F10' on EN Windows to hide the left panel + I can use the note like any other note, by adding tables/images etc and further formatting (see images with and without left panel)

I use EN-for-Windows 95% of the time, and then might use EN on my iPad and Android Phone for the remainder.  I have activated dark-mode for both these devices...but wanted to make sure that any colours I used re this Dark-Mode workaround still looked good on the above dark-mode enabled devices, as they tend to inverse the colours... so I went through some colour combinations, and reckon the last 3 look great. All you have to do is enter the RGB colour-values on the ET tool to create your own custom theme, then apply to your note, add a few line breaks, then save as a template...voila.

IF EN does get around to giving us Dark Mode in the next 5 years (or later) and you need to clear the background, just use the Note 'highlight text' icon twice and it will be remove though a slight margin will remain. This is so simple, looks great, though not a complete dark-mode overhaul, as it's just the note background, but easy to do...and No I am not getting any commissions from the ET app/developer 😉

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Gotta say I'm loving my workaround.  I've made my final colour selection, and have chosen to go with a grey background.

Attached image shows my colour choices.  Also attached is a quick screen dump of how the colours inverse/look on my Android phone (Samsung Note-8 landscape oriented) with Dark-Mode enabled. 

On my iPad (IOS) with EN dark-mode enabled, the colours are nearly the same but the background (BG) looks a little more faded.

This workaround is really so simple, not perfect, but a big enough improvement so as for this to not be an issue for me any longer....yeehah

6.jpg

Is there any way to remove that large white margin that resembles the 1 column table solution?  

The Robert Sawyer solution doesn't have that problem.  It would almost be worth paying, except for that large white margin.

The grey background really needs to go beyond the edge of the Tahoma font box, almost to the note list, like this:

Image.thumb.png.d5eb4d0aaac10122fb5de42ea8872305.png

26 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Is there any way to remove that large white margin that resembles the 1 column table solution?  

Hey @Don Dz not that I know of, but again I don't know coding, perhaps your could hack the ET app and see how the banner background is created then change the margin.  But that margin is an acceptable trade-off given ease of implementation... and this workaround is much better than the 1-column table solution.  But I don't think this workaround does resemble the 1-row/column table solution, as it wont resize should you hit F10 'collapse left panel' whereas this does.... and the table-solution wont allow you to insert further tables inside a table...

The Robert Sawyer solution doesn't have that problem.  It would almost be worth paying, except for that large white margin.

Agreed... @RobertJSawyer solution is better, when considering this workarounds margin.  But I found his solution too hard to get working, and thanks for your help/advice re that. The margin isn't that big IMHO...and having this much screen real-estate background colour change to a pseudo dark-mode, is good enough for me, until EN pull their proverbial out 😉

The grey background really needs to go beyond the edge of the Tahoma font box, almost to the note list, like this:

Agreed once again...be awesome if you could find a way...cheers

8 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

this workaround is much better than 1-column table solution, which i don't think does resemble a table, as a table wont resize should you hit F10 'collapse left panel' whereas this does.

I did not mean that your solution resembles the table solution, but that the size of the white margin does, not identical but similar. 

It is certainly an interesting option to consider.

16 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

@Don Dz so your attached image, which looks great, this is using RobertJ solution???

Yep, but not his color, had to discover my own (#dddddd), his looks more like the post by Seafoam under his discussion, too dark for my taste.

As I posted in that topic, each time I tried to change to a different color, I had to reinstall Evernote, otherwise it would not change past the first run, but at least I didn't have to uninstall it first, so I am glad I settled on a color quickly.

Archived