mathew720

Why no dark mode for Windows ?

All other 3 platforms received the update 

• Why not Windows Users? 
  • is it a bit too unfair to windows users?

No timeline for windows 

• Is there no plan at all? 

• Like 5

Better or Worse, dark mode is a personal preference, I like the window implementaion better than dark mode in Mac 

Why so

1. It makes no change to me if it brighter around or not , boxy is just fine untill it work 

2. Amoled friendly so future proof #00000 , Hence also Battery friendly 

3. Less blue light, hence less circardian change ( making it night mode is not going to change it much )  

Why I preffer dark mode in Evernote 

1. Studys associating Blue light with health risks , because it affects circardian rhythm

Why I am sad that for what Evernote did ? 

Ethically wrong to put a group just because they are not vocal possibily 

Also not right to put a user group under health risk, while proving others with solution

• Like 1

Understand first of all I am not an employee nor do I speak for Evernote. I am just speculating as to why there is no Dark Mode yet on Windows.

I think it is a bit overblown to say they are putting users at a health risk. That is a bit like me complaining that Evernote doesn't change the "Changed Date" for a note when I change tags, so when I sort by recent changes to see which notes I tagged with "Birthday Gifts" I didn't see a note for my nephew's gift because it had an older "changed date" - ergo Evernote hates children.

Dark mode has nothing to do with blue light. You want to use the "Night Light" settings in Windows. You can control the time, or let it go along with sunrise/sunset times in your location, and you can adjust the color temperature to your preferences. This is OS wide, so Evernote is affected.

image.thumb.png.470cb297bef4e972c1e6fe182d722e27.png

18 hours ago, EdH said:

Windows just got real DarkMode support with 1809

For UWP (Windows Store) apps only. We're an old-style Win32 app (even the WinStore version of EN is still considered Win32).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dconnet said:

For UWP (Windows Store) apps only. We're an old-style Win32 app (even the WinStore version of EN is still considered Win32).

Yup. I am not even sure if they plan to roll it out to all apps. The way Win32 apps work with displays is a mess. They still haven't figured out a graceful transition from regular to HDPI displays without the developer having to rework the app.

Due to the fact that Evernote refuses to listen to its customer base, I am forced to cancel my subscription and I am looking for an alternative app. Any suggestions?  

11 hours ago, trjuaugu said:

Due to the fact that Evernote refuses to listen to its customer base, I am forced to cancel my subscription and I am looking for an alternative app. Any suggestions?  

The OS has no Win32 support for Dark Mode, and it just got it with 1809 for UWP apps, and virtually no one has 1809 except insiders. What is Evernote supposed to do? Roll their own UI model because Microsoft won't?

42 minutes ago, EdH said:

The OS has no Win32 support for Dark Mode, and it just got it with 1809 for UWP apps, and virtually no one has 1809 except insiders. What is Evernote supposed to do? Roll their own UI model because Microsoft won't?

Since EN is implemented above CF3, using web technology such as javascript, html5 and css, I would assume that they can indeed implement it rather easily. At this very moment I use OWL, a FireFox dark mode plugin and on Chrome you have Dark reader etc.

Have a look at Visual Studio Code https://code.visualstudio.com/, a very nice editor completely written in javascript above CF3, with nice dark themes. So, technically it is perfectly possible in this technology.

• Like 1

Right, but it would be Evernote's flavor of how Darkmode should work, or Firefoxes, or whatever. They could definitely do that. I guess they have chosen, for now at least, to work with the OS makers to ensure good integration into device-wide darkmode so the user experience is consistent, so it works on macOS. iOS doesn't have it yet.. It may work on Android - I don't keep up with that.

And then when the OS does support it, they would have to spend time undoing all of their changes so it did work with the OS-wide setting.

32 minutes ago, EdH said:

It may work on Android - I don't keep up with that.

It does. But it also causes the quick note that can be created from the pull-down notifications to have unreadable gray-on-white text.

48 minutes ago, EdH said:

iOS doesn't have it yet

It does.  It's in the latest update.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

It does.  It's in the latest update.

Yes it does. Thanks. Wasn't aware of that.

As someone who grew up with DarkMode, I've yet to find a reason to jump onto this recent fad. image.thumb.png.9d06dd3f5f8b33ee9fb719cf8e947884.png

image.thumb.png.72b99edfd87dc656db3d15a67515fd66.pngimage.thumb.png.6f1a8362d4146ac01f5e85c0e0fb3c56.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, EdH said:

I've yet to find a reason to jump onto this recent fad. 

Doesn't ring my bell either, but I activated it to see what the fuss was about.

Clever example using a sample from our resident author and dark mode proponent.  Do I win a prize for noticing 🙂.  Maybe a key to unlock more emojis?

33 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Maybe a key to unlock more emojis?

How about no.

🤣🤣

Ha-ha -- yes, my early computer experiences were with PC (or rather, Compaq Portable) Dark Mode (if you discount the PDP-8 paper tape, IBM punch cards and teletype; that was just college). We used Wordstar as our first programming editor for awhile, I wrote a Lotus 123 spreadsheet reader (hacked the Lotus 123 executable in debug.exe so that I didn't have to have the floppy disk inserted on launch). *sigh* Those were the days, I miss them so... like a hangnail...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Doesn't ring my bell either, but I activated it to see what the fuss was about.

Clever example using a sample from our resident author and dark mode proponent.  Do I win a prize for noticing 🙂.  Maybe a key to unlock more emojis?

I also grew up with dark mode, then switched to white screens for a big part of my professional life and switched back to dark mode a year ago. I prefer the dark theme because it is much easier on my eyes. I am a professional developer, so I am sitting in front of IDEs for some 8h/day.  It is much healthier for the eyes, less UV (less cataract) and less eye strain.  For me, the difference is spectacular.

Well, I'm not going back to use Evernote until we have a dark mode.

• Thanks 1

Is this so hard to add dark background option? If Evernote developers are really waiting for proper Windows 10 dark theme, then it's already here! Where is our dark theme for Evernote on Windows?????

• Like 1

hmm.  I use "Ctrl+Alt+I".  

It toggles invert colors in Windows10.

to active it :  Settings > Accessibility > Magnifier > Enable Magnifier

I think its the only option for me until Evernote release dark mode for windows10.

13 hours ago, vitaliistep said:

Is this so hard to add dark background option? If Evernote developers are really waiting for proper Windows 10 dark theme, then it's already here! Where is our dark theme for Evernote on Windows?????

The dark mode added in Windows 10 is only for UWP/PWA style apps. None of those APIs are available to Win32 apps, so as of right now, if Evernote does this, they will have to roll their own UI changes.

This is a shame that dark theme was not introduced in Windows and is not even planed in the foreseeable future.

I am a software developer with some vision impairments and I am having a hard time working with white screens. The most professional application I am working with does support a dark theme or at least supports high-contrast mode. Even Windows enabled dark explorer, what I never believed that will happen. 

At least I can use Dark Reader in a browser to achieve some prosthesis of dark Evernote.

• Like 1

If Windows 10  doesn't support dark mode, as purported by several Evernote replies to this topic, then how is it possible to configure the left panel as dark in the Windows client?
Tools > Options > General > User Interface > 'left panel theme dark'?

Perhaps Windows 10 only supports dark mode on the left vertical 1/5 of the screen?  Indeed, this is a Windows OS design limitation.

We're not getting honest answers from Evernote.  The honest answers are:

1. This isn't a priority for the development engineers, who have other 'cool' features to pursue regardless of what users are asking for.  (I have seen it 1000 times in SW development.)

2. We don't care because we don't need to.

3. See #1.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Karlbu said:

If Windows 10  doesn't support dark mode, as purported by several Evernote replies to this topic, then how is it possible to configure the left panel as dark in the Windows client?

Because Evernote developers added a "dark mode" panel, which has nothing to do with any Windows-supported dark mode? Otherwise it would just respond to Windows dark mode setting, right?

7 hours ago, Karlbu said:

1. This isn't a priority for the development engineers, who have other 'cool' features to pursue regardless of what users are asking for.  (I have seen it 1000 times in SW development.)

Well, obviously they're working on other stuff -- or more likely, per the CEO's blog post -- focusing attention on fixing bugs,  improving stability and consistency , etc., rather than adding new functionality. In other words, the developers have been things to work on that the company (not the developers) has deemed to be higher priority. Is this a surprise? 

• Like 1

How has this not been addressed yet?  I see a lot of highly supported community feature requests that go many years with no attention, and very few significant updates to Evernote. 

I've been a paying user since that option was available (many years) and I have to say I'm really frustrated to see things ignored to the point that community members get so upset.  A lot of people are clearly feeling ignored, which I think is more important to address than any individual feature requests.   Evernote needs to wake up to this, and then eventually stat making changes that should take days, not years.

• Like 1

Ok, so One note now got Black theme.... 

I have been paying Evernote customer since it became an option..

Don't care about excuses that Windows 10 only supports dark mode for UWP apps.....How hard is it to make background black and text white ?!

Will end subscription and use One note or even roll my own opensource alternative. Sorry but Evernote team is not listening to its customers.

• Like 1

There is a strong demand for a dark mode. The software I use today is dark mode. Only Evernote is not used. It is very painful to use.

• Like 2

This could be a work around, though it doesn't have all the same functionality as the local Windows Program/App.

In Chrome, Use the Menu > More Tools > Create Shortcut for when logged in to your web account (might need to quickly create the shortcut while the page is loading for https://www.evernote.com/Home.action instead of the generated link for the note at the top of the side column list).

Select Open as Window.

Shows up on your desktop and in the Apps Tab as Evernote Web.

Then add a dark mode reader for Chrome like Dark Reader.

Customize colors as desired.

**works on Google Docs also.**

If you want to try something different for a change, install f.lux and enable Darkroom Mode.

I got hope that the next evernote version 6.18 would finally include dark theme for windows, waiting several months for this.

As its released now, I am seriously disappointed. After all other platforms already got dark theme, is the credo for windows still "it's ready, when it's ready?" Or can we expect some more details?

Evernote web client in combination with a dark theme extension is an alternative, but does not offer the same smooth user experience as the native windows client.

4 hours ago, n5z said:

would finally include dark theme for windows

Most other platforms get dark theme support for free. Windows does not. (The Windows dark theme support you hear about is only available to UWP apps. That's not us.) The likelihood of the current Windows version supporting a true dark theme are about 0.1%.

Thanks @dconnet for clarification,

just to understand your phrase correctly:

The likelihood of the current Windows version supporting a true dark theme are about 0.1%.

Do you mean the OS windows or the evernote windows version that is unlikely to have a dark theme support? What is still unclear to me: Does Evernote plan to implement a manual theme for windows and when is the expected release date? What does speak against an UWP Evernote release?  Its unfortunate that there is no step in the dark theme train for non UWP apps.

I meant the Evernote windows version. I have zero insight into what Microsoft is doing!  (And the version we have in the store is not a UWP app - it's the exact same binary you get when you do a direct download and install.

It is funny that we have been requesting Dark Mode in this thread for 5 to 6 years, and they finally made it, and they closed the thread. Leaving us Windows users to start a new thread for the same request. Do we have to wait for another 5 years or what?

On 5/17/2019 at 12:57 AM, dconnet said:

Most other platforms get dark theme support for free. Windows does not. (The Windows dark theme support you hear about is only available to UWP apps. That's not us.) The likelihood of the current Windows version supporting a true dark theme are about 0.1%.

Not sure if this is a official reply from Evernote (because @dconnet is shown as staff) but I hope this is not. This reply is misleading and irresponsible from a company that have so many paid subscribers. 

I am a software developer so I understand what that UWP argument means. But what this reply implied was that Evernote would give us dark mode, only if it cost them nothing (as low cost as just adding a new parameter to the current editor API). Evernote is telling us that we don't have the dark mode because MS doesn't want to implement it. No, that's wrong. Evernote doesn't give us the Dark Mode because Evernote doesn't want to implement it. They just want to see if they can wait until MS implement the dark mode for Win32 Editor. 

It is very irresponsible reply, because after all, who get the money from paid subscribers, MS or Evernote? Then why blame MS on this?

The reply is misleading because, there are so many tools I am using on Windows with dark mode/theme. Just name a few that I use more often, VSCode and Notion (Electron based) both support custom theme very well. Tools as simple as Simple Note support dark mode as well. Old tool like Eclipse and notepad++, at least have dark theme editors (Eclipse is SWT based, NP++ should be Win32). And Visual Studio also with dark mode (should be Win32 too).  So, if it is a technical issue or a architectural design level problem that makes Evernote unable to give us Dark Mode in Windows version, just tell users the truth. Please do not blame another company for your laziness or incapability. 

Anyway, thanks for replying though, at least we knew that's VERY VERY unlikely we are going to have a Dark Mode in Windows. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, faifaifai said:

So, if it is a technical issue or a architectural design level problem that makes Evernote unable to give us Dark Mode in Windows version, just tell users the truth.

My interpretation of the response is that it is a bandwidth / priority issue.

6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Yes that's what I have said we would only have Dark Mode "only if it cost Evernote nothing". That means this issue will never get the resource needed, and we will never get Dark Mode for Windows version. 

What I don't feel good here is that the reply is not honest about the current situation. If they are not going to give us Dark Mode, just say it. Don't mislead people with UWP/Win32 sh*t. 

5 hours ago, faifaifai said:

What I don't feel good here is that the reply is not honest about the current situation

I think they gave a pretty honest answer.  The likelihood in the short term is low, but never?  Who knows?  They have never been one to give out roadmaps.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 3:53 AM, s2sailor said:

Precisely. My (very rough) estimate is that it would be a minimum of 6 months of effort. Almost everything in the UI is custom drawn. (Actually many of the custom drawn things are probably easier to update than some of the standard windows controls are!)

2 hours ago, dconnet said:

My (very rough) estimate is that it would be a minimum of 6 months of effort.

Holey moley! Dunno if that's just development time or design + development + QA/testing + etc. time, but that's an impressive amount. One of my old managers used to say, "well, I take your estimate, multiply by 3 and add 2 units, and then pass it on to my boss, who probably does the same thing." That being said, I can't even imagine how long it would take to do the software that I work on (lots and lots of dialogs, toolbar sets, etc.); thankfully, nobody's asking us for dark mode...

39 minutes ago, jefito said:

Dunno if that's just development time

That.

Edit: BTW, I should mention I played around with trying to expand our current theming to the list controls (standard windows controls) that we use for the note list. It was a complete failure at making it look right.

Guest Aleksander

Hi, I've been using Evernote for a few months and I absolutely love it--in pair with TickTick, they're significantly boosting my productivity and helping me stay organized. However, I'm wondering when or if there's going to be a dark mode for either the Windows app or the Web version? The white is really harsh on my eyes and it makes it difficult to read after a while :( 

1 hour ago, Guest Aleksander said:

Hi, I've been using Evernote for a few months and I absolutely love it--in pair with TickTick, they're significantly boosting my productivity and helping me stay organized. However, I'm wondering when or if there's going to be a dark mode for either the Windows app or the Web version? The white is really harsh on my eyes and it makes it difficult to read after a while :(

Merged your post with the main "Dark mode for Windows" topic. Please read replies from @dconnet above.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, dconnet said:

But we are paying for Evernote, thus Evernote can pay to have the dark theme implemented. What's the big deal? I thought we are paying to keep the product in development and have new features offered to us.