Jump to content
  • 0
luckman212

Experiencing Data Loss (EN 7.6 & 7.7 GA)

Idea

I can't reliably reproduce this BUT this is a serious issue.

Since 7.6 beta 3 (possibly started with beta 1/2...) I have had 4 or 5 cases of data loss in EN.

The scenario goes something like this:

1. create a new note
2. add a few lines of text
3. some time goes by, while I do other things... but not too much time, maybe 5-10 minutes
4. I enter some more text on the note
5. some more time passes, maybe I put the laptop to sleep even
6. open EN back up and POOF the text I entered from step 4 is gone, lost. There is no record of it anywhere, not in Note History, EN web app, etc.

This is a new problem that started happening RECENTLY. 
It has happened to me repeatedly, on multiple computers, so it is not a fluke or a one time event. Something is definitely not right.

Please look into this!

 

Share this post


Link to post

9 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

You should add this to the actual beta thread started by an Evernote so they are more likely to see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 minutes ago, EdH said:

You should add this to the actual beta thread started by an Evernote so they are more likely to see it. 

Yup. I did that. Also opened a support case #2718308.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
35 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

6. open EN back up and POOF the text I entered from step 4 is gone, lost. There is no record of it anywhere, not in Note History, EN web app, etc.

I'm assuming you're online during this process
I'm running 7.6 GA; my changes get saved imediately; followed by a sync
It's not even something I have any controls for

On just brief typing, the Activity log shows

2018/11/21 15:51:04:719 I|*   main  -[ENCommonEditorWebView commitEditingWithCompletion:] |
Saving note [3d74cc4a-c214-43c7-bf0c-1c82158db657]/p14096 length of 216 bytes:

I'm in top list view and I see a indicator in the sync column; then the sync wheel spinning

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 11/21/2018 at 5:38 PM, luckman212 said:

I can't reliably reproduce this BUT this is a serious issue.

Since 7.6 beta 3 (possibly started with beta 1/2...) I have had 4 or 5 cases of data loss in EN.

The scenario goes something like this:

1. create a new note
2. add a few lines of text
3. some time goes by, while I do other things... but not too much time, maybe 5-10 minutes
4. I enter some more text on the note
5. some more time passes, maybe I put the laptop to sleep even
6. open EN back up and POOF the text I entered from step 4 is gone, lost. There is no record of it anywhere, not in Note History, EN web app, etc.

This is a new problem that started happening RECENTLY. 
It has happened to me repeatedly, on multiple computers, so it is not a fluke or a one time event. Something is definitely not right.

Please look into this!

 

Are you still seeing this in the general availability version of Evernote for Mac 7.6 ?  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yes, I have had the issue occur on 7.6 GA.

I never got a response on my support ticket #2718308

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Update: This is still happening on 7.7 GA (457389).

I added notes & logs to my support ticket yesterday, waiting to hear back.

This is really worrisome.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I have the same problem since I upgraded to 7.7. All my notebooks and notes are gone in the Mac App. They are still visible via browser. 

When I press the support button I log out and need to login again- Admin console disfunct.  Very annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@glenrothes I'm sorry to hear about your data loss but that is definitely not the same issue I am facing. I would say my issue is actually scarier, since data I am entering in EN is literally disappearing. Your data is missing from the app but is visible on the web, so that's probably some sort of database corruption on your desktop. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, glenrothes said:

All my notebooks and notes are gone in the Mac App. They are still visible via browser. 

The servers store the master version of our data.  You're accessing this with the browser.

Is it possible you're using the wrong userid on your Mac?

You can force a full data sync by:  Hold the Shift and Option keys on your keyboard and click the sync icon.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...