Lost All the Notes on my Desktop when I logged out and logged in

parker111

Idea

My wife has a desktop PC app of Evernote (Basic Plan) in her laptop and she recently installed Evernote in her new iPhone X. She couldn't sync the notes from her desktop notes to her iPhone X phone. So she decided to log out from her desktop and logged in again only to see that she lost all her note and what was sync was a "test" note that she created from her iPhone X. Questions:

1. How come the desktop app was not syncing to the iPhone X?
  2. How come the notes were lost when she logged out from her desktop and it was the iPhone X note that got sync?
  3. How can she retrieve the notes that were lost?

Looking for answers. Thanks!

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, parker111 said:

My wife has a desktop PC app of Evernote (Basic Plan) in her laptop and she recently installed Evernote in her new iPhone X. She couldn't sync the notes from her desktop notes to her iPhone X phone. So she decided to log out from her desktop and logged in again only to see that she lost all her note and what was sync was a "test" note that she created from her iPhone X. Questions:

2. How come the notes were lost when she logged out from her desktop and it was the iPhone X note that got sync?

Sometimes what you are experiencing is the result of multiple accounts, one of which was accidentally created where the user name is similar to the actual account.  Verify the username and password are the right ones.  Notes don't typically disappear or not sync.

My wife said that it was the same email account.

Quick question: can you use the same email address but different usernames? Meaning one is using a username and the other is the email address as the username? 

I'm thinking if my wife could have forgotten that she used a different username.

Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback. We tried all possible user names but we were not successful. My wife backtracked emails way back when all was ok and saw that it was the same details we used when the files were lost. Is there a way we can find out all possible user names in one email add? Thank you.

• Level 5*

On 11/20/2018 at 10:34 AM, parker111 said:

Check the master data version on the servers using the web platform (www.evernote.com)

If the notes are there, we can then address the device problems.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, parker111 said:

Thank you for the feedback. We tried all possible user names but we were not successful. My wife backtracked emails way back when all was ok and saw that it was the same details we used when the files were lost. Is there a way we can find out all possible user names in one email add? Thank you.

If you go to the web version with the account that she is currently accessing and click Settings - Account summary, you will see the Member since date.  Hopefully this will make it clear if this is an accidental account or not.

Don't know how to recover a user id, sorry.  You might try going to the web version and clicking on forgot password and entering your wife's email address associated with the account.  Maybe there will be a clue in the reset email, just don't know.  Other than that, since she has a Basic account you can try for help on EN's twitter account, @evernotehelps.  

• Ex Employees

@parker111, as @CalS said, it's unfortunately common for people to accidentally create a new account when they meant to login. Most of our clients, such as the iOS app, use a single page login where if you enter an email that is not currently registered, it will automatically switch to creating a new account instead of attempting to log in. The button text changes, but it's subtle enough that users don't notice and accidentally create the account and are then confused why there are no notes in the account.

We often see this with older accounts where the user thinks they registered with one email, but actually are registered with a different email or maybe had a typo when they registered. When they log into a new device, or logout of a device they were logged into for a long time, they usually end up in this situation.

You should reach out to our support. They are better equipped to help her sort this out. You can file a ticket at https://help.evernote.com 

As for the bigger problem, I've been told that our designers are working to fix the problem so users will be less likely to accidentally create new accounts.

Archived