GTD and Evernote: moving from Projects to Actions

Ian Matthews

Hi. I am trying to set up a Getting Things Done system using Evernote (setting up on my Mac) and I am getting unstuck on one aspect. 

If I create a note for a project then list all the things that need to be done for that project in that note, it seems that I need to manually duplicate the entry of all those things into the relevant context notebook (e.g. calls, waiting for etc). This seems to double up the amount of time I spend noting down all the steps of a project - am I missing something?

Thanks so much for your help!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Ian Matthews said:

If I create a note for a project then list all the things that need to be done for that project in that note

I don't lists all the tasks in the note1289256647_ScreenShot2018-11-20at08_41_52.png.36dba7f906f3941cd809fe3a05096ab5.png
I create a separate note for each task

The screenshot shows all the notes for a specific project
The notes are linked by tag:Project-aaaaaaaaa
The list is in title sequence; I add a prefix to the title to keep the notes in sequence

>>it seems that I need to manually duplicate the entry of all those things into the relevant context notebook

I don't use context notebooks; I use context tags
To add context(s) to a task; I just add a tag to the task note (e.g. tag:"waiting for aaaa", tag:"@phone")
I can also add a reminder to the task/note; (e.g. wait for 2 days, start task on Dec 1)

The reminder feature is a key to my GTD organization.  It allows me produce a current task list  using a search shortcut (reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*)

Archived