One note in two notebooks?

thewitt

I have several notebooks that have overlapping subjects and would like to be able to reference a common note in multiple notebooks.

Any way to do this?

I don't want a copy of the first note, I would like the original note to be accessible from two notebooks at the same time. An edit in one place is automatically available in the other notebook.

Possible?

TIA

• Level 5*
On 11/18/2018 at 11:05 AM, thewitt said:

I have several notebooks that have overlapping subjects and would like to be able to reference a common note in multiple notebooks.

A good reason to use the Tag feature instead of the Notebook feature

Understand that Tags and Notebooks are similar.  They are fields in the note record
A difference is that the fields can contain a single notebook, or multiple tags

On 11/18/2018 at 8:05 PM, thewitt said:

Any way to do this?

I don't want a copy of the first note, I would like the original note to be accessible from two notebooks at the same time. An edit in one place is automatically available in the other notebook.

Possible?

TIA

What you could do is use an internal link in one note in one of the note books. This will direct you to the note you want to find and has the same effect

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, jos1986 said:

What you could do is use an internal link in one note in one of the note books. This will direct you to the note you want to find and has the same effect

And link in reverse so as to go both ways.  Or use tags which support cross filing.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jos1986 said:

Doesn't really solve the original scenario. As suggested, using tags is the way to approach this in Evernote.

23 hours ago, jos1986 said:

Thank you. This will work for me and allow me to keep just one copy of the note and still get there from multiple books.

Thank you.

21 hours ago, jefito said:

Doesn't really solve the original scenario. As suggested, using tags is the way to approach this in Evernote.

Tags don't do anything for me in this context.

I would be putting all of the notes into a "generic" notebook and then dividing that into sub-notebooks with tags, and that's not what I'm looking for at all, but thank you for the suggestion.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, thewitt said:

I would be putting all of the notes into a "generic" notebook and then dividing that into sub-notebooks with tags, and that's not what I'm looking for at all, but thank you for the suggestion.

Just to be clear, Notebooks and Tags are labels you assign to a note.
For example, to identify an "Insurance"  note; assign a Tag or Notebook.

For notebook/tag use; you can display a tree structure (screenshots from my Mac)
1219731439_ScreenShot2018-11-28at08_54_02.png.626282e7b064d84c47a1432b0211a93d.png1889618525_ScreenShot2018-11-28at08_54_28.png.031da3ebe5c693e96c8eedc9256e07f5.png

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, thewitt said:

In terms of how Evernote works at this time,  a note can be "contained" by more than one tag, whereas a note can be contained in exactly one notebook. Since what you asked for "I have several notebooks that have overlapping subjects and would like to be able to reference a common note in multiple notebooks." isn't possible, the closest analogue that Evernote has is to use tags. This is why I mainly use tags over notebooks; because subjects do indeed overlap, and notebooks don't handle that case well (I mostly use notebooks to share specific note subsets between my two separate accounts, work and personal). Tags can identify note subsets of related notes across notebooks. That's just me, but on the other hand, I don't see the note-resides-in-exactly-one-notebook changing any time soon.

The other suggestion, using note links, might be useful, but it adds an extra step: you need to put the note link inside a note, so you then need to find *that* note first. That might work better for you, though, since I don't know a lot about your use case.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Just to be clear, Notebooks and Tags are labels you assign to a note.

That's true enough, but a bit oversimplified, since you can assign multiple tags to any note, but you can't assign multiple notebooks to it. That's a large semantic difference.

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, coreyinhamilton said:

Managing share permissions is the reason I want to use notebooks and not use tags.

Share permissions is also my reason for using Notebooks

It's a good use case for multiple notebooks per note.

There's a feature request linked below.  You're welcome to indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner

• 1 month later...

My question is similar. Rather than a tree structure of tags, is there a way to filter notes by more than one tag? I can add many tags to a note, but I cannot see how to filter notes by more than one tag. For example, I have a tag "book" another tag "hiking" another tag called "Europe" another "Canada." However, when I want to find all the notes I have on books about hiking in Europe I cannot filter with three tags. I have to go to all my notes tagged "book" and then scroll through them. Or "hiking' and scroll through them. Or "Europe" and scrol through them. Tree heirarchy is not very effective because I also have books about cathedrals in Europe: two of three tags the same! So, a filter that allowed the user to filter by intersecting tags would be beneficial. In a classic search box, I would write "book AND Europe AND hiking." Can anyone advise how to do this with Evernote tags?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, John R. Graham said:

In a classic search box, I would write "book AND Europe AND hiking." Can anyone advise how to do this withEvernote tags?

The search box parameters would be   tag:book tag:Europe tag:hiking  

Search syntax is documented here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828    
"And" is the default for parameters; there is an option for :any

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, John R. Graham said:

My question is similar. Rather than a tree structure of tags, is there a way to filter notes by more than one tag?

Depending on which Evernote client you are using, there are ways to do multiple tag saerch via the UI, rather than by typing the search query in as DTLow validly suggests. In the Windows application, you could start by using the Alt+Shift+T to invoke the tag filter. From there, you start to type a tag name and the list filters down to where you can pick it from the list; at that point, the list filters down to only the tags that are in notes that also have the tag you just selected, so you can keep on picking tags to your heart's content: each tag selection narrows down the list of remaining tags. Alternatively in the Windows application, you can just Ctrl_click tags in the tag list or the tag panel (for the tag panel, press Enter when you're done picking tags).