Prevision for Dark Mode

The FAQ states that there's currently no plans for a dark mode for Windows. Which is extremely disappointing for me as someone that pays for Evernote primarily because it used to be so good at cross-device and cross platform support. I have my macbook from work and windows laptop as my personal device but sometimes I'm using windows and need to get to evernote and don't want to have to open a second laptop for my notes.

Not having nightmode support for windows is a travesty and I honestly don't know why they'd ***** over windows users like that.

Giving us dark mode WOULD be giving us feature parity.  This is crazy; we've asked for half a decade now for a dark mode; there is NO extant Mac/iOS feature that we've asked for remotely as much as THIS.  Come on, Evernote.  There have been grumbles over the years about Evernote for Windows being treated like a second-class platform and you announce with fanfare a dark mode AND DON'T EVEN MENTION the Windows version? What kind of message are you trying to send? 

On 11/17/2018 at 9:58 AM, RobertJSawyer said:

AND DON'T EVEN MENTION the Windows version?

It's not supported in Windows. And FYI - that new Dark Mode thing Windows has? That's for Window Store (UWP) apps. Apps like us (classic Win32) aren't supported. Personally, I have no idea why MS didn't make it so when dark mode is enabled that the `GetSysColor` api wouldn't return that dark color. But it doesn't. So all we have is the current dark/light themes that you currently see...

With due respect to you @dconnet (an Evernote employee), there are a great many Windows programs that support a dark mode.  The failure to provide it in Evenote for Windows is 100% the failure of the programmers at Evernote; it has nothing whatsoever to do with Microsoft's failings or those of the Windows operating system or its API (oh, sure, if the operating system gives you tools, use them, but when it doesn't, then find your own solution in your own code).  Hell, I'm not a programmer -- just a novelist -- and I managed to give your Windows application a dark background for notes; surely your own staff of professional programmers could finish the job.  Please don't obfuscate this point or pass the buck; Evernote Corporation needs to deal with this.  If your programmers truly lack the skill, then get new programmers (if a CEO can be replaced, surely any programmer who has thrown up his hands FOR FIVE YEARS NOW saying "I don't know how to do this" can be replaced, too).  This is ridiculous.

@RobertJSawyer Evernote is a cash cow for the company. They're just riding on the previous momentum. They know that we'll use it regardless and keep paying them money. Even with the latest version of Evernote, the formatting in my notes get messed up from time to time. The company keeps giving BS reasons for their shortcomings. I've thousands of notes, but now I've decided to shift everything to apps like Standard Notes or OneNote. With rising competition, Evernote won't be able to keep up.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, kartik0025 said:

Evernote is a cash cow for the company. 

What does that mean?  Evernote the company, has a single product, Evernote the service/software.

My information is the company has achieved a positive cash flow, but there are  limited excess funds.

I believe I have discovered the REAL problem/challenge us lowly EverNote-for-Windows users face when requesting, nay getting down on all fours and begging for feature parity from the EN Dev team...!?

Checkout the computer hardware used by EN Team on their careers page...else see image below 🙂 

EN Loves MAC.png

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, RavBoy said:

I believe I have discovered the REAL problem/challenge us lowly EverNote-for-Windows users face when requesting, nay getting down on all fours and begging for feature parity from the EN Dev team...!?

Checkout the computer hardware used by EN Team on their careers page...else see image below 🙂 

Funny - the Mac users complain about Windows getting preference,  and Windows complain about Mac - and the desktops want mobile features,  and the mobiles...

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Funny - the Mac users complain about Windows getting preference,  and Windows complain about Mac - and the desktops want mobile features,  and the mobiles...

Doubtless true.  But it is also true that Evernote has clearly and precisely articulated that the Windows client is lagging behind others in both features AND performance:

When is dark mode coming to Windows and/or Evernote Web?
We don’t currently have a timeline to bring dark mode to Windows or Evernote Web. We’re currently focusing on performance improvements and feature parity in these clients before we make changes to the color theme.

2 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

Doubtless true.  But it is also true that Evernote has clearly and precisely articulated that the Windows client is lagging behind others in both features AND performance:

I believe that has been the case with most programs I have seen since at least Windows 3.1, in general, yet we keep using Windows instead of Mac.  An issue almost as old as the internet.

• Level 5*
On 11/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, ks. said:

Why have Evernote Team never had Windows on their Board? First step was Dark Left Panel? There is the next step?

I am a premium user more than 5 years. And it hasn't been any good improvement all this time!

Hi.  What version are you using?  There have been lots of new features,  some (I already mentioned) the envy of the Apple crowd - plus many complained about by our side.  Evernote Windows gets frequent updates - almost as many as Windows itself!

The launch email for Dark Mode says they're still looking into Windows,  and other threads here have suggested some alternatives in the meantime...

Archived