You can't copy/paste? You're not serious?

• 2 months later...

I pointed out this issue in October.  I had to revert the web client from Beta. I just checked, and it's still broken, nearly 4 months later. 😞 Ctrl+C does not load the selected text into the buffer.

I'm deeply concerned about what Evernote Corporation is doing with Evernote, and the signals they're giving. I would hope UX testing would be a barrier between alpha and beta testing, but I don't have any evidence it's been done, if they missed something as simple as Ctrl+C functionality.

Beta testing should be opt-in for your users, Evernote Corporation! There are people out there who enjoy playing with new software before anybody else. And then there are other people, like me, who need it to just work.

Last, -and this is overarching- communication is important. As a Linux user, when I look at new software, I can usually expect to find a few bits of documentation, explaining what's new, known bugs, and other changes. Where are the changelogs? Where's the README? Where's the ISSUES file?

Edited by KDulcimer
Mis-identified Evernote owner.
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, KDulcimer said:

I'm deeply concerned about what Invision is doing with Evernote

??? Nothing as far as I can tell. Invision doesn't own Evernote, or did I miss the memo?

Side issue to this topic, but I'd agree that the web client traditionally hasn't been well-handled by Evernote, and having advised many users to switch back to the "older" version from the default, and insufficient beta version, I'd also agree that they shouldn't force betas on their users. And better communications is always a good idea -- the web client has a history of slipstreaming new features in with no user notification . That should be improved.

Back to the actual issue: I also see Ctrl+C working fine in the web beta version, in this case in Chrome on Windows. More information from the original poster would be helpful.

It should be noted Evernote currently has 3, yes, THREE web versions available: classic, current, and (I'm sorry, but the quotes are earned) "beta".

I just tested the "beta" on Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit), Windows 10 build 16299.726, and Ctrl+C still doesn't load selected text into the buffer. Ctrl+X does nothing. I can still copy and paste by right-clicking, but that's no good to me.

Too bad Evernote doesn't display a version number for the web. I wonder if we're using different versions.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, KDulcimer said:

It should be noted Evernote currently has 3, yes, THREE web versions available: classic, current, and (I'm sorry, but the quotes are earned) "beta".

Yes, but the "classic" version is limited to only a limited number of grandfathered (grandparented?) Evernote users. New users cannot use the classic version. Most people don't know about this, though I'm sure that some folks prefer it (I only use it once in awhile, mainly for purposes of answering questions about the web client; it actually seems a little clunky to me).

54 minutes ago, KDulcimer said:

Too bad Evernote doesn't display a version number for the web. I wonder if we're using different versions.

That would also be useful. 

1 hour ago, KDulcimer said:

My bad, I misunderstood what was written at the bottom of the forums. As the Evernote front page says, the company name is Evernote Corporation. I have corrected the original post now.

Thanks for that; I was feeling a little confused over the Innovision reference.

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5

Just wanted to try it on my iPad, running the latest iPadOS. In iPadOS, Safari behaves like a desktop browser.

Login was o.k., but the very moment I hit the cmd or the ctrl-key, Safari closes. It does not crash, when I click the icon, it will reopen, EN is open and running etc. But no keyboard shortcuts, at least not in the iPad. The editor was set to „classic“.

Other websites including the EN home page work just fine.

• Level 5

I strongly suspect that this is a browser-specific issue, and possibly OS-related as well. I'm using Opera under Windows 7, and keyboard shortcuts such as Ctr+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V, and Ctrl+Z all work as expected. I also note that, when I right-click while editing a note, the menu that appears is the one that Opera pops up in every editable field, which includes cut/copy/paste, undo, and other functions. Finally, in both the beta and classic Web editors, the toolbar of editing functions across the top of a note being edited does not include cut/copy/paste icons.

So my little investigation suggests that Evernote relies on the browser to provide some functions, such as cut/copy/paste and undo, while providing others through its own interface. The former functions use the browser's keyboard shortcuts, if any, while none of the latter seems to have a keyboard shortcut. For instance, Ctrl+K does not open the dialog to insert a URL link, although there is an icon in the toolbar for that function. And this accords with the fact that Opera does not provide the Ctrl+K shortcut in editable fields. All this is true for Firefox as well, BTW.

• Level 5

Maybe it is browser-specific, but it is for sure EN WebClient specific !

This does not happen on other websites. Safari even has a hidden function to display keyboard shortcuts when you press the command key longer. It just closes when you hit one of the special keys while the EN WebClient is open.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe it is browser-specific, but it is for sure EN WebClient specific !

This does not happen on other websites. Safari even has a hidden function to display keyboard shortcuts when you press the command key longer. It just closes when you hit one of the special keys while the EN WebClient is open.

Perhaps some interaction between the Web client and the browser, then? @ehrt74, what operating system and browser are you using?

• Level 5
13 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

I'm running ChromeOS 78.

And presumably the Chrome browser then? Do you find that the keyboard shortcuts work in editable fields on other Web pages in the browser? In the Evernote Web editor, does a right-click show cut/copy/paste? Just trying to track this down, since it seemingly works in some environments but not others.

51 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

And presumably the Chrome browser then? Do you find that the keyboard shortcuts work in editable fields on other Web pages in the browser? In the Evernote Web editor, does a right-click show cut/copy/paste? Just trying to track this down, since it seemingly works in some environments but not others.

Yepp, the shortcuts Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X work fine in textareas on other web pages (here for example). Right-clicking on an evernote note brings up the context menu where i can select copy. That works too :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Strange, strange. It seems like some erroneous interaction between the Web client and certain browsers and/or OSes. Am I right that you're on the beta version of the Web client? Of course, @PinkElephant noted problems in the classic version too. @Scott T., any thoughts here?

Yep, i'm on the beta version. I tried debugging using chrome developer tools to break on a keyup event, but the minimized js code is unreadable. There are certainly moments in the code where it will catch events (prevent bubbling) if ctrl + c are pressed.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

Yep, i'm on the beta version. I tried debugging using chrome developer tools to break on a keyup event, but the minimized js code is unreadable. There are certainly moments in the code where it will catch events (prevent bubbling) if ctrl + c are pressed.

Well, you're way beyond my experience here, so I hope someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I don't think "idiot" is excessive. Prosaic, fine.

1. About 14 months ago, Evernote Corporation pushed its users to new software which was, by its own description at the time, beta.
  2. Beta does not mean "ready for general consumption". Beta means "probably still a little buggy, but basic functionality is there, and if you want to try some shiny new features, here you go".
  3. Ctrl+C functionality was broken at the time. IMO, having such basic, essential functionality broken might be expected under an alpha release, but not a beta.
  4. Millions of people around the world use Ctrl+C multiple times a day.
  5. 14 months have passed. The "beta" descriptor is gone from the new interface.
  6. Ctrl+C is still broken.

If you have a single credible reason to break Ctrl+C functionality in a text editor, please share. Everything points to a complete, utter failure of Evernote UX and QA. But hey, at this point, I'm just yelling into the ether. I don't think Evernote Corp cares.

If Evernote Corp had gone "whoopsie, we should have fixed that before the beta", I might have understood. However, the fact that they have left a very common, everyday keyboard shortcut broken for 14 months and counting speaks to a total lack of care for the end user.

What can I say? Keep your data backed up.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@KDulcimer, I understand the frustration. If you'll look at the recent exchanges here, though, you'll see that, in some browsers and OSes, Ctrl+C, etc., are working as expected. So it's not totally broken. But it is broken in some contexts, and hopefully they'll get it sorted out in something less than another 14 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees

@KDulcimer and @ehrt74, I am happy to help you debug this issue. If you can provide me exact system details including OS and browser version, this should help to reproduce the problem. Also, a screenshot of your web client window would be very helpful for me to understand what client you are using.

• Thanks 2
  • Ex Employees

Thanks to @ehrt74 for working with me. We found a potential issue, but want to confirm with others on the thread. Those that are experiencing the issue, are you using a non-standard Keyboard layout (one that is different than the physical keys)? In our case, we are able to reproduce by using a different layout (Dvorak). This seems to be interfering with how the editor handles the keyboard shortcut mappings. If this is the case for others, hopefully we can fix it for everyone. If not, there may be other issues happening as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees
On 1/7/2020 at 7:29 PM, KDulcimer said:

Yes, I am a Dvorak user! How in the world did you ever track down that bug?

Woohoo! Good to know. All the credit goes to @ehrt74 for that discovery. 

I've got a ticket open for the editor and client teams to work on this. It will likely get addressed as part of a larger relaunch of our clients. Can't give any specific timeline, though. The teams are working very aggressively to bring the Web Client up to feature parity, as well as unifying the code bases for the desktop and mobile clients (to the same as web client). So a lot happening. But the teams are aware of it and agree it needs to be addressed.

• Thanks 1

Thinking about it, this is a case of diversity in software development. Usually one thinks about diversity as being things like how the software can be used with screen readers, how you can change the fonts to increase contrast or maybe l10n and i18n (quite apart from front-end text rendering, I've known projects which have refused to build because my workstation was set to French and not English). This one is about the keyboard and key map used. 

It might be worth trying out all the software Evernote produces with different combinations of keyboard and key map. I'd imagine the native clients would work fine, but better safe than sorry.

By the way, the JVM (which I don't think Evernote uses for client installable software) still has an open bug for key map handling when modifier keys are held under Gnome. 

Ok, i'll stop finding ideas for more work now :)

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm experiencing this now on macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Beta (19D75a), Safari Version 13.0.5 (15608.5.11). 

Keyboard layout ABC, i'm residing in Singapore, US keyboard layout. I'm copying a code from Datacamp website.

I can paste the text in google but not inside Evernote. this is really frustrating .... hope there's a fix soon

more info: i was trying to paste in a code block

• 1 year later...

Hi, I use the bépo keyboard layout (https://bepo.fr) and this copy-and-paste experience has long been broken for me too. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.2 and Google Chrome 91.0.4472.114, with v 10.16.8 of your web service. My operating system uses the same letters (Ctrl+C) for copy, etc; despite their locations that make them less comfortable than where the keys would be on a QWERTY keyboard.

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried copying something from Evernote, then pasted elsewhere and had unexpected clipboard contents show up. Once I was chatting to a colleague and inadvertently pasted an ad for a job I was considering. It made me switch to alternatives for everything except mobile notes.

I don't follow what you're trying to do with the keyboard shortcuts, but it strikes me as over-engineering and a typical US-centric approach that fails to even acknowledge the existence of anyone else.

The Evernote page is the only place where I've noticed these keyboard issues.

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, Owen Miller said:

Hi, I use the bépo keyboard layout (https://bepo.fr) and this copy-and-paste experience has long been broken for me too. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.2 and Google Chrome 91.0.4472.114, with v 10.16.8 of your web service. My operating system uses the same letters (Ctrl+C) for copy, etc; despite their locations that make them less comfortable than where the keys would be on a QWERTY keyboard.

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried copying something from Evernote, then pasted elsewhere and had unexpected clipboard contents show up. Once I was chatting to a colleague and inadvertently pasted an ad for a job I was considering. It made me switch to alternatives for everything except mobile notes.

I don't follow what you're trying to do with the keyboard shortcuts, but it strikes me as over-engineering and a typical US-centric approach that fails to even acknowledge the existence of anyone else.

The Evernote page is the only place where I've noticed these keyboard issues.

Click on your name --> Account Info... --> scroll down --> Go to previous version

On 9/14/2021 at 6:16 AM, FritzG said:

What a joke, still not working on both Mac and PC....  a fundamental piece of functionality

Hello ! This is a thread for a problem with the web client due to a problematic javascript function. If you're having problems with the Mac or Windows versions, could you open a topic on those forums? Maybe people there can help you find out why it doesn't work on your system, but seems to work fine on the systems of other people.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just BTW: Copy and paste works on my web client without any problem, using cmd-c, cmd-c and cmd-x (which is the same as ctrl/strg on Windows).

What does not work is drag & drop of pictures - they need to be saved from the web client. Copying pictures between notes in the web client works - sort of slow.

5 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

Hello ! This is a thread for a problem with the web client due to a problematic javascript function. If you're having problems with the Mac or Windows versions, could you open a topic on those forums? Maybe people there can help you find out why it doesn't work on your system, but seems to work fine on the systems of other people.

Thanks, I don't use the web client but use the desktop clients on both AppleOS and Windows extensively each day.  So frustrating that it doesn't work.  I just do screen grabs of the image in the Evernote note and paste it that way so I have a work around but I hate doing things half-baked

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just BTW: Copy and paste works on my web client without any problem, using cmd-c, cmd-c and cmd-x (which is the same as ctrl/strg on Windows).

What does not work is drag & drop of pictures - they need to be saved from the web client. Copying pictures between notes in the web client works - sort of slow.

Thanks, I don't use the web client but use the desktop clients on both AppleOS and Windows extensively each day.  So frustrating that it doesn't work.  I just do screen grabs of the image in the Evernote note and paste it that way so I have a work around but I hate doing things half-baked

• Level 5

Drag & Drop works on the desktop clients. With pictures it depends on the applications - it works for some, and not for others.

What does work in all cases (at least I have not found any case not working) is to D&D to the desktop, and from the desktop to the application or to EN.

• Haha 1
On 9/17/2021 at 11:33 PM, PinkElephant said:

Drag & Drop works on the desktop clients. With pictures it depends on the applications - it works for some, and not for others.

What does work in all cases (at least I have not found any case not working) is to D&D to the desktop, and from the desktop to the application or to EN.

ok thanks, worth a try but still super frustrated by all of this on top of constantly getting duplicated notes, app crashes and so on...

• Like 1