Evernote for Windows 6.16 GA

Iriska

Idea

• Ex Employees
Today we released Windows 6.16 GA. It's available here
Whats in 6.16?

Fixed:
  • We took care of some of the top sync and crash issues that were getting in your way.
  • We squashed some annoying editing and note title bugs that were buzzing around inside the app.
  • Now you’re 100% able to rename hidden tags from the toolbar. Up from 0%, so that’s quite an increase.
  • We had some attachment issues related to YouTube clips, PDFs, and shared notes. But we got professional help and worked through them.
  • There was a problem with dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note. Things should be back to normal now though.
  • Switching notes would cause you to lose any edits you’d made to a business card. Since you probably made those changes for a reason, we fixed it.
  • We fixedd teh spel cheker.

Updated:
  • We tweaked the note list header to match its look on other platforms. That might not sound like much, but trust us, it was super annoying.
  • Now you can export a note with a missing source image (and all you see is that smug little icon instead) and import it back into your account. We’re still questioning the icon, but it refuses to tell us what it did with your image.

• Level 5
On 11/1/2018 at 9:47 PM, Iriska said:

We fixedd teh spel cheker

Sorry to jump in here so late; I only just now updated to 6.16. What exactly did they do to the spell checker? Bring back the spell-check dialog, at last? No. Make it so the red line disappeared when words were added to the dictionary? That was already working in 6.15. Make the user dictionary editable? No, C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\LocalStorage\Custom Dictionary.txt still has a checksum at the end that makes it impossible to edit.

Seriously, what, if anything, did they actually do to "fix" the spell checker?

• Level 5*

I just had another sudden unexpected crash with 6.16 - was using it normally with nothing except Firefox and Outlook running in the background.  Copied a few Amazon purchase emails into Evernote and realized I could make the process much faster with a template.  Created the template and added another email (with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V copies) - and Evernote quietly disappeared...

Tried the Start menu icon - no reaction.  Then the System Tray icon - "please open the main application" message, but nothing.  Closed the processes from Task Manager and retried Start - got a Fatal Error form to fill in.  Added these details and sent that,  then Evernote opened again - and fortunately correctly had all of my last created note.

I've continued to have a few crashes like that - don't know whether my system's under stress or there's something more going on.  Hum.

• Level 5*

Bug report.

I'm pretty sure I saw this someplace else, couldn't find it, so I'll report here.  I downloaded a PDF from a web site.  Immediately opened the PDF with Acrobat, highlighted some text, and then  closed/saved.  The PDF disappeared from the note.  I was able to recover from history so a copy was taken quickly.  Repeated the edit process and everything was fine the second time.

• Level 5
23 hours ago, CalS said:

Bug report.

I'm pretty sure I saw this someplace else, couldn't find it, so I'll report here.  I downloaded a PDF from a web site.  Immediately opened the PDF with Acrobat, highlighted some text, and then  closed/saved.  The PDF disappeared from the note.  I was able to recover from history so a copy was taken quickly.  Repeated the edit process and everything was fine the second time.

Recently under discussion here:

• Level 5
On 12/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:
On 11/1/2018 at 9:47 PM, Iriska said:

We fixedd teh spel cheker

Sorry to jump in here so late; I only just now updated to 6.16. What exactly did they do to the spell checker? Bring back the spell-check dialog, at last? No. Make it so the red line disappeared when words were added to the dictionary? That was already working in 6.15. Make the user dictionary editable? No, C:\Users\{username}\Evernote\LocalStorage\Custom Dictionary.txt still has a checksum at the end that makes it impossible to edit.

Seriously, what, if anything, did they actually do to "fix" the spell checker?

Apologies for bumping my own post. I take it from the silence that no one else can detect any actual "fixing" of the spell checker in v. 6.16 either.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Apologies for bumping my own post. I take it from the silence that no one else can detect any actual "fixing" of the spell checker in v. 6.16 either.

Don't have to redo add to dictionary is about all I've seen.  You have to click on a line or word to actually get the red squiggles, so still no all note spell check.  PITA.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, CalS said:

Don't have to redo add to dictionary is about all I've seen.  You have to click on a line or word to actually get the red squiggles, so still no all note spell check.  PITA.

Theoretically, you should be able to hit F& and have it spellcheck, but that doesn't seem to work.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jefito said:

Theoretically, you should be able to hit F& and have it spellcheck, but that doesn't seem to work.

Yeah, that's what was removed some release(s) back, forget which.  There used to be an option in the menu bar, I forget which drop down, but no more.  😒

• Level 5
1 minute ago, jefito said:

Yeah, F7 hasn't worked for a long time.

20 minutes ago, CalS said:

Don't have to redo add to dictionary is about all I've seen.

I thought that was already working in 6.15; but maybe not. It does currently work, but without a spell-check dialog or an editable dictionary, still a lot left to be desired.

• Level 5*
Just now, CalS said:

Yeah, that's what was removed some release(s) back, forget which.  There used to be an option in the menu bar, I forget which drop down, but no more.  😒

In which case they should remove the tooltip for the Options / Language / "Check spelling as you type" potion that refers to the F7 key...

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I thought that was already working in 6.15; but maybe not. It does currently work, but without a spell-check dialog or an editable dictionary, still a lot left to be desired.

Amen.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, VanDelfin said:

Importing using Import Folder assigns all tags selected at the time of import to the imported note. Please make it assign no tags automatically. 

Try unchecking Tools / Options / Notes / []Assign selected tags to new notes

• Level 5*

Bug Report.

In the past I would download PDFs from web sites to my import folder and they would be imported to my scan notebook and deleted from the import folder.  Not so anymore.  Now any downloads are imported fine but do not get deleted.  So when I close/open EN I end up with a second note containing the PDF(s).  Anything that I scan locally into the import folder works as expected.  I believe this is a recent occurrence.  My Windows updated to 1809 at the end of November, I updated to EN 6.16 in early November, whichever. 

Anyone else seeing the same?

Archived