Jump to content
  • 0
Iriska

Evernote for Windows 6.16 GA

Idea

Today we released Windows 6.16 GA. It's available here
Whats in 6.16?
 
Fixed:
  • We took care of some of the top sync and crash issues that were getting in your way.
  • We squashed some annoying editing and note title bugs that were buzzing around inside the app.
  • Now you’re 100% able to rename hidden tags from the toolbar. Up from 0%, so that’s quite an increase.
  • We had some attachment issues related to YouTube clips, PDFs, and shared notes. But we got professional help and worked through them.
  • There was a problem with dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note. Things should be back to normal now though.
  • Switching notes would cause you to lose any edits you’d made to a business card. Since you probably made those changes for a reason, we fixed it.
  • We fixedd teh spel cheker.
 
Updated:
  • We tweaked the note list header to match its look on other platforms. That might not sound like much, but trust us, it was super annoying.
  • Now you can export a note with a missing source image (and all you see is that smug little icon instead) and import it back into your account. We’re still questioning the icon, but it refuses to tell us what it did with your image.

Share this post


Link to post

44 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 2

Always glad to see new versions and more fixes,  and I'm sorry to snark: but while humor has its place (see 99% of my posts) could we cut out the cheery upbeat comments in release notes and just stick to the actual facts? 

By me,  what you just said is:

Fixed:
> some top sync and crash issues
> editing and note title bugs.
> rename of hidden tags from the toolbar
> some attachment issues with YouTube clips, PDFs, and shared notes
> dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note
> switching notes losing edits made to a business card
> spell check
 
Updated:
> note list header now matches the look on other platforms
> notes with missing source images can be exported and imported back into your account. 

- which I can actually understand...

Two immediate points on the tech side:

1:  drag and drop from Outlook directly into a note doesn't work.  Still need to drop to the desk top and then into a note.

2: the last point above,  which completely lost me.  Why am I exporting and re-importing a busted note,  exactly??

Share this post


Link to post
  • 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Always glad to see new versions and more fixes,  and I'm sorry to snark: but while humor has its place (see 99% of my posts) could we cut out the cheery upbeat comments in release notes and just stick to the actual facts? 

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't mind the cheeriness (hey, fixing bugs makes me happy too!) if they were bolstered by specific details. Surely these comments aren't in the actual bug tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
6 hours ago, alexmkv said:

By the way, what is hidden tag?

We had an issue reported on the forum about tags created in black (default color) and bold/italic/underline style were invisible in Tags view when logging in on another computer. So we fixed it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

There is an old issue I have been noticing through several versions, I suppose it's relatively minor since it doesn't seem to affect data or most functionality, except when I count for updated sorting to work, and it doesn't, not sure whether it has been discussed:

If I update the tag, and only the tag, in a note, it is marked as needing to be synced, but more often than not, the updated date does not change (though sometimes it does), which is a little annoying since i rely on the Updated sorting most of the time to check progress and changes. 

In particular with bulk adding or deleting of a single tag on many notes, the notes are not marked as updated, just with the sync mark.  Most of the time this problem is not a big deal, but sometimes like on Friday, I accidentally removed a tag from a note, normally when I do any accidental editing I check the last updated note or two, but with the sync mark, it was marked to be synced, but it was not located at the end of the sync sort, which was problematic since I was doing bulk editing of tags at the time, so I had to check each changed note to find the one that should not have been changed (it was somewhere in the middle of the notes to be synced, even though it was the last one changed).

Again, this doesn't cause any data loss that I can see, just a little patience loss since to me, adding a tag should always be recognized as an update and the date changed accordingly so that it will move to the top of the updated notes.

It would be one thing if it never works (by design), but sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't.

EDIT: it seems to be an issue also when changing the notebook.

I hope I am just missing something obvious somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
43 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

If I update the tag, and only the tag, in a note, it is marked as needing to be synced, but more often than not, the updated date does not change 

I've seen this too; Tag changes do not cause a change to update date.
Apparently its by design.

There's a feature request and discussion here 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
On 11/3/2018 at 11:27 PM, Don Dz said:

If I update the tag, and only the tag, in a note, it is marked as needing to be synced, but more often than not, the updated date does not change (though sometimes it does), which is a little annoying since i rely on the Updated sorting most of the time to check progress and changes. 

This is by design, ditto for the notebook case as well. An analogous situation occurs in the Windows file system (don't know how this works in Unixy flavored file systems) if you move a file from one folder to another, it retains the same modified date. If you change read-only or other security attributes, the modified date remains the same. The modified date changes only if you modify the actual file. Works much the same with respect to notes in Evernote and their attributes: notebooks and tags. This apparently doesn't apply to note title, though: if you change it, the modified date does change (unlike filename changes, where the modified date does not change). That may be because of the fact that there's an implicit link in some cases to the first line of a note, I'm not sure. But I know that tag changes vs. modified date was discussed in the forum with input from Evernote staff, some years ago. Couldn't find the link, though.

Edit: Found the link. See @Jackolicious's posts from here on: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
On 11/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, jefito said:

But I know that tag changes vs. modified date was discussed in the forum with input from Evernote staff, some years ago.

IMHO, bad idea not changing update date with tag changes then, and still a bad idea today.  I have been known to on occasion accidentally delete a tag from the note header as opposed to the search explanation.  No way at that point to find the "modified" note without some spelunking.  PITA.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
6 minutes ago, jefito said:

Then we differ on that issue. Funny, because we are soooo in sync on everything else...  :)

 images.jpg.9f1f8321a6bc85b6e3704cc32cee3f26.jpg                         😛

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
1 hour ago, CalS said:

IMHO, bad idea not changing update date with tag changes then, and still a bad idea today.  I have been known to on occasion accidentally delete a tag from the note header as opposed to the search explanation.  No way at that point to find the "modified" note without some spelunking.  PITA.

Date Modified should be the last time anything for the note was modified. anything. Not just some things. Or change the field to "Date some stuff was modified, but not all of the stuff."

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
2 minutes ago, EdH said:

Date Modified should be the last time anything for the note was modified. anything. Not just some things. Or change the field to "Date some stuff was modified, but not all of the stuff."

Well said

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

Minor bug.  Using a bullet list which includes internal (green) note links.  If I add another bullet immediately after a note link,  the text continues green until I apply the default color.  If I add text after the link and then add the bullet,  the new text and the next line are correctly bulleted.

ie

  • rambling, rambling, rambling Link
  • gets me green text next line
  • on the other hand Link is followed by the correct color
  • and the next line is OK

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1
1 hour ago, bradkrause67 said:

Roll over tool tip menu names for the menu items in the Note List panel's header area. The icons are abstract enough to warrant a roll over title.

I would assume you have multiple monitors connected to your computer, and Evernote is positioned on the secondary monitor. If it is a case, in order for the tooltips for the icons in the note list header area to appear below your cursor, the Evernote needs to be active. If it is not, and you roll over icons nothing is going to happen. The screenshot below is taken with the Evernote being active, and the mouse cursor over the first icon.

image.png.2a4bcfbbe917a93d1f60a24b306e5493.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 1

UI comment: The Windows version wastes too much screen space above the note list (see attached screenshot). Please return to the way it was before or add options in the View menu to go into full screen where all "white space" is removed.

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

 

1:  drag and drop from Outlook directly into a note doesn't work.  Still need to drop to the desk top and then into a note.

 

It works for me. I tested with Excel and Word files. I can drag and drop the email attachments to note body. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Thanks for this release, printing is much better now 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, Em Gee said:

It works for me. I tested with Excel and Word files. I can drag and drop the email attachments to note body. 

The original post says - 

On 11/2/2018 at 1:47 AM, Iriska said:

dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note

attachments,  I agree work;  emails,  not so much.  Just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Changing text color doesn't change the numbers in a list... 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 11/4/2018 at 1:50 PM, jefito said:

Edit: Found the link. See @Jackolicious's posts from here on: 

Thanks.  Based on that discussion, when updated sorting does work, it's a bug.

That's funny, maybe I should not have said anything about it working sometimes . . . . 🤐

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 minutes ago, CalS said:

IMHO, bad idea not changing update date with tag changes then, and still a bad idea today. 

Then we differ on that issue. Funny, because we are soooo in sync on everything else...  :) 

30 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Thanks.  Based on that discussion, when updated sorting does work, it's a bug.

Not sure what you mean by that. The bug mentioned was a case where adding/removing a tag did change the timestamp; that what you're referring to??

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 minutes ago, jefito said:

Not sure what you mean by that. The bug mentioned was a case where adding/removing a tag did change the timestamp; that what you're referring to??

Yes, sometimes, the update date does change, for me.  Not a bug I would wish to see squashed, but rather integrated and implemented for all users, at least as an option.

This weekend I updated over 300 notes, just tags and notebook location.  Of those, about 3 or 4 got their timestamp changed, though only among some of the notes updated  individually, rather than in bulk. 

Again, that's preferred behavior in my world.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Possible bug: navigating through note links and back on a secondary window is visibly slower than through the primary program window, in my observation.  I use secondary windows navigation often enough, so I believe this issue maybe new.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Have to say, most comments on these releases are negative by nature. Thought I'd go opposite.

I am finding this release very good!

The changes to the top of side list view are very nice. Everything is running nice and smoothly for me, thanks for the improvements.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There is an issue with creating a new note in a shared folder. Evernote interrupts typing in the new note to display the "created by and shared by and last edited by" info. 

If the user is typing on the one line (i.e., just the one paragraph) when "created by and shared by and last edited by" appears, the user may lose a character or two, depending on how quickly they type.  But if they had typed a few words and hit ENTER before "created by and shared by and last edited by" appears, then when it does appear the cursor moves to the top of the note and the typing continues up there.

To reproduce: 

  1. Disable "Set new note focus to title"
  2. Create a new note* in a shared folder: type 3-4 words, press <enter> and keep typing.
  3. After a short delay, "created by and shared by and last edited by" appears and when it does the cursor moves to the top of the note. 

*I have not tested with "create new note in new window"  enabled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Minor bug.  Using a bullet list which includes internal (green) note links.  If I add another bullet immediately after a note link,  the text continues green until I apply the default color.  If I add text after the link and then add the bullet,  the new text and the next line are correctly bulleted.

ie

  • rambling, rambling, rambling Link
  • gets me green text next line
  • on the other hand Link is followed by the correct color
  • and the next line is OK

 

Thanks for the report, our editor developers are investigating this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Re: 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897)

Feature Requests*:

  1. UPDATED DATE:  I feel mislead as a user by this problem. Regardless of fanboy justifications in the other thread, this is my primary Feature Request: Any user action altering a classification of a note should be documented with Updated time code at the time of user reclassification, irrespective of sync time. I've upvoted all opinions to this effect. 
  2. A Feature Request / Bug Report TEMPLATE might be a good tutorial/feature as well? One with a post to forum link might be most useful?

*edited

Edited by bradkrause67
clarification of revised opinion

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, bradkrause67 said:

Any user action altering a classification of a note should be documented with Updated time code at the time of user reclassification, irrespective of sync time. I've upvoted all opinions to this effect.

If you're referring to modifying a note's tags or notebook, there's recent discussion in at least one of those other topics as to why this would be better as an option rather than the policy. That discussion would better be continued there rather than here, as this topic is specific to the latest Windows beta, and the updated time issue would affect all Evernote clients.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 11/8/2018 at 5:50 AM, gazumped said:

Minor bug.  Using a bullet list which includes internal (green) note links.  If I add another bullet immediately after a note link,  the text continues green until I apply the default color.  If I add text after the link and then add the bullet,  the new text and the next line are correctly bulleted.

ie

  • rambling, rambling, rambling Link
  • gets me green text next line
  • on the other hand Link is followed by the correct color
  • and the next line is OK

 

I can reliably reproduce this in 6.15.4 GA as well.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:00 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Thanks for the report, our editor developers are investigating this.

Great!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There is a bug in clipping and then annotating a note. Evernote closes it when you are done annotating.

  1. Clip a section of the screen using a keyboard shortcut.
  2. CLick on the note popup toast that says you have clipped a note
  3. right-click on the image in the note (which is now open it its own window)
  4. do some editing
  5. close the annotation window

More than once the note window itself closes on me, not just the annotation window.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Bug: pasting text via hotkey to an encrypted field works fine, attempting to do via the menu causes the text to be pasted outside the encrypted field.  I find this behavior is quite consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Bug between desktop and IOS font display. 

  1. I use a PhraseExpress hotkey to enter yyyy.mm.dd into notes.  My default font in EN is Roboto 10.  The PE hotkey sets the font at Roboto 10. 
  2. Sometimes I drag text in default font from one note to another. 
  3. In both instances, the text does not dispaly as default on IOS, images below. 

I took a quick look at the ENML and it gets a bit messy.  On the desktop one can highlight the entire note, change the font, change it back to default font and then IOS renders as one would expect, though the ENML is still messy. 

End of the day, a resonable expectation that default font on one platform will be default font on another platform, hence bug report.

ScreenClip.png.557e091d1fa00b38c3a763f5b725acc0.png   D78F4D1B-C254-4BE1-94CE-32315E888E90.thumb.jpg.39deb1c330700f3a2285f345fd0f4ecc.jpg

Salient ENML

<en-note><div>Date typed in with default font</div><div><br/></div><div>2018.11.13</div><div><br/></div><div>Date from PhraseExpress</div><div><br/></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;">2018.11.13</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;"><br/></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;">Date dragged in from another default text note</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;"><br/></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto; font-size: medium; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">2018.11.13</span></div></en-note>

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, VanDelfin said:

UI comment: The Windows version wastes too much screen space above the note list (see attached screenshot). Please return to the way it was before or add options in the View menu to go into full screen where all "white space" is removed.

Capture.PNG

fwiw  here's a comparison screenshot of the the Mac platform1335806183_ScreenShot2018-11-13at16_25_39.png.1657939819db37a575a45c1fbdf75e4c.png

In addition to the empty space above, we have a Notes/Reminders icon bar below

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, EdH said:

There is a bug in clipping and then annotating a note. Evernote closes it when you are done annotating.

  1. Clip a section of the screen using a keyboard shortcut.
  2. CLick on the note popup toast that says you have clipped a note
  3. right-click on the image in the note (which is now open it its own window)
  4. do some editing
  5. close the annotation window

More than once the note window itself closes on me, not just the annotation window.

Here is a screenshot with proof.

What Evernote seems to be doing is:

  1. I annotate the note. The note is created via the screenshot shortcut
  2. I have other notes open
  3. I finish annotating and close. Closing the window with the X or File|Save & Exit does the same thing.
  4. The note is saved, but the container note window that it was in is replaced visually only with the contents of another note I have open. In this screenshot below you see in my task bar a note that starts with "Tha.." - that note content is what is showing in this "Screen clip" note window. (The @Pe.. icon is the main Evernote window)
  5. I have to close this bogus Screen Clip window, then go open it again.

 

I never lose data due to this. Just time. I'm not sure what would happen if I were to edit this bogus note window. I always just close it.

In creating this screenshot, the same thing happened and the contents of the "Tha…" note were in two "screen clip" titled notes. I had to close them all then manually open.

image.thumb.png.34bffa20016180989a18bad4ebbc070a.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi. I apologize if this post duplicates something above -- I've skimmed as best I can but I want to report this bug while I have a few quick seconds during my day to do so.

In the latest public release of Evernote for Windows (6.16.4.8094) I've noticed new behavior. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional (I'm hoping it's not intentional). When I add a new note in any notebook, the focus in the notes list pane changes from the notebook I was in to "All Notes." This is very distracting. When I'm working in a particular notebook I almost always want to stay there.

I'm using Windows 10 on both a PC and a laptop, and am seeing the issue on both machines.

I had really hoped to post in this forum about how pleased I was with the new version. There's a lot good about it. Unfortunately, this new, glaring issue is casting a shadow over that for me.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

When I add a new note in any notebook, the focus in the notes list pane changes from the notebook I was in to "All Notes." This is very distracting. When I'm working in a particular notebook I almost always want to stay there.

On my computer I see the note list label changes as you describe, but in reality it is still on the Notebook I have open.  You can confirm this by looking at the total number of notes on the list.

Still, the changed display seems like a bug since the label does not change if you disable "Create new note in a new window", under "Notes" in Options.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

I had really hoped to post in this forum about how pleased I was with the new version. There's a lot good about it. Unfortunately, this new, glaring issue is casting a shadow over that for me.

Even with the minor issues, I'm still very impressed by the improvements in the latest releases!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

On my computer I see the note list label changes as you describe, but in reality it is still on the Notebook I have open.  You can confirm this by looking at the total number of notes on the list.

Still, the changed display seems like a bug since the label does not change if you disable "Create new note in a new window", under "Notes" in Options.

That's not quite what I'm seeing. When I add a note, the focus in the left-hand pane changes from the notebook I was in to a focus on that notebook AND on "All Notes" (in other words, it looks as if both are selected simultaneously). The view in the center pane changes from showing just the notes in the notebook I was in to all of the notes I have in all notebooks. It's disorienting when I'm working in a particular notebook and suddenly the view changes.

Honestly, I know it's useless to express at this point because nothing ever changes with this company, but I'm just so exasperated with Evernote. The only reason I haven't migrated off of it is that I can't find the time. So I keep telling myself I'll scramble and migrate if Evernote ever goes belly up.

The thing that's really unfortunate is that I love the concept of Evernote. If it worked like it was supposed to I think it would be superior to anything else I've tried. Unfortunately, it's always broken on every platform.

  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, eric99 said:

Even with the minor issues, I'm still very impressed by the improvements in the latest releases!

If you are, that's great. And I mean that. But the issue I've described isn't "minor" for me. It's making it very difficult to work.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just trying to make clear to anyone from Evernote who might be paying attention that this issue has me reconsidering staying with the product.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
23 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

That's not quite what I'm seeing. When I add a note, the focus in the left-hand pane changes from the notebook I was in to a focus on that notebook AND on "All Notes" (in other words, it looks as if both are selected simultaneously). The view in the center pane changes from showing just the notes in the notebook I was in to all of the notes I have in all notebooks. It's disorienting when I'm working in a particular notebook and suddenly the view changes.

While I am not seeing the dual notebook/all notes selection, I am seeing all selection disappear. 

Plus  I sometimes see dual note selection in the note list, no rhyme or reason.  More bugs I guess.

You could try submitting a ticket at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

They will ask for a screen capture of your issue if you can duplicate it (using something like Jing), and they may ask you to send them the Activity Logs.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire program helps, if you remember to rename the database folder so it is recreated from the servers.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
13 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

If you are, that's great. And I mean that. But the issue I've described isn't "minor" for me. It's making it very difficult to work.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just trying to make clear to anyone from Evernote who might be paying attention that this issue has me reconsidering staying with the product.

I hope they fix it soon, in the mean time, as already mentioned, you can work around by  disabling "Create new note in a new window", under "Notes" in Options ...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 11/13/2018 at 9:50 AM, Don Dz said:

Bug: pasting text via hotkey to an encrypted field works fine, attempting to do via the menu causes the text to be pasted outside the encrypted field.  I find this behavior is quite consistent.

Thanks, I can reproduce this as you've shown it and have reported this to the development team.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×