Evernote for Windows 6.16 GA

Iriska

Idea

• Ex Employees
Today we released Windows 6.16 GA. It's available here
Whats in 6.16?

Fixed:
  • We took care of some of the top sync and crash issues that were getting in your way.
  • We squashed some annoying editing and note title bugs that were buzzing around inside the app.
  • Now you’re 100% able to rename hidden tags from the toolbar. Up from 0%, so that’s quite an increase.
  • We had some attachment issues related to YouTube clips, PDFs, and shared notes. But we got professional help and worked through them.
  • There was a problem with dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note. Things should be back to normal now though.
  • Switching notes would cause you to lose any edits you’d made to a business card. Since you probably made those changes for a reason, we fixed it.
  • We fixedd teh spel cheker.

Updated:
  • We tweaked the note list header to match its look on other platforms. That might not sound like much, but trust us, it was super annoying.
  • Now you can export a note with a missing source image (and all you see is that smug little icon instead) and import it back into your account. We’re still questioning the icon, but it refuses to tell us what it did with your image.

• Level 5*

Always glad to see new versions and more fixes,  and I'm sorry to snark: but while humor has its place (see 99% of my posts) could we cut out the cheery upbeat comments in release notes and just stick to the actual facts? 

By me,  what you just said is:

Fixed:
> some top sync and crash issues
> editing and note title bugs.
> rename of hidden tags from the toolbar
> some attachment issues with YouTube clips, PDFs, and shared notes
> dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note
> switching notes losing edits made to a business card
> spell check

Updated:
> note list header now matches the look on other platforms
> notes with missing source images can be exported and imported back into your account. 

- which I can actually understand...

Two immediate points on the tech side:

1:  drag and drop from Outlook directly into a note doesn't work.  Still need to drop to the desk top and then into a note.

2: the last point above,  which completely lost me.  Why am I exporting and re-importing a busted note,  exactly??

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Always glad to see new versions and more fixes,  and I'm sorry to snark: but while humor has its place (see 99% of my posts) could we cut out the cheery upbeat comments in release notes and just stick to the actual facts? 

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't mind the cheeriness (hey, fixing bugs makes me happy too!) if they were bolstered by specific details. Surely these comments aren't in the actual bug tickets.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

1:  drag and drop from Outlook directly into a note doesn't work.  Still need to drop to the desk top and then into a note.

It works for me. I tested with Excel and Word files. I can drag and drop the email attachments to note body. 

• Ex Employees
6 hours ago, alexmkv said:

By the way, what is hidden tag?

We had an issue reported on the forum about tags created in black (default color) and bold/italic/underline style were invisible in Tags view when logging in on another computer. So we fixed it.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, Em Gee said:

It works for me. I tested with Excel and Word files. I can drag and drop the email attachments to note body. 

The original post says - 

On 11/2/2018 at 1:47 AM, Iriska said:

dragging and dropping emails from Microsoft Outlook into a note

attachments,  I agree work;  emails,  not so much.  Just sayin'

There is an old issue I have been noticing through several versions, I suppose it's relatively minor since it doesn't seem to affect data or most functionality, except when I count for updated sorting to work, and it doesn't, not sure whether it has been discussed:

If I update the tag, and only the tag, in a note, it is marked as needing to be synced, but more often than not, the updated date does not change (though sometimes it does), which is a little annoying since i rely on the Updated sorting most of the time to check progress and changes. 

In particular with bulk adding or deleting of a single tag on many notes, the notes are not marked as updated, just with the sync mark.  Most of the time this problem is not a big deal, but sometimes like on Friday, I accidentally removed a tag from a note, normally when I do any accidental editing I check the last updated note or two, but with the sync mark, it was marked to be synced, but it was not located at the end of the sync sort, which was problematic since I was doing bulk editing of tags at the time, so I had to check each changed note to find the one that should not have been changed (it was somewhere in the middle of the notes to be synced, even though it was the last one changed).

Again, this doesn't cause any data loss that I can see, just a little patience loss since to me, adding a tag should always be recognized as an update and the date changed accordingly so that it will move to the top of the updated notes.

It would be one thing if it never works (by design), but sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't.

EDIT: it seems to be an issue also when changing the notebook.

I hope I am just missing something obvious somewhere.

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

If I update the tag, and only the tag, in a note, it is marked as needing to be synced, but more often than not, the updated date does not change 

I've seen this too; Tag changes do not cause a change to update date.
Apparently its by design.

There's a feature request and discussion here 

• Level 5*
On 11/3/2018 at 11:27 PM, Don Dz said:

If I update the tag, and only the tag, in a note, it is marked as needing to be synced, but more often than not, the updated date does not change (though sometimes it does), which is a little annoying since i rely on the Updated sorting most of the time to check progress and changes. 

This is by design, ditto for the notebook case as well. An analogous situation occurs in the Windows file system (don't know how this works in Unixy flavored file systems) if you move a file from one folder to another, it retains the same modified date. If you change read-only or other security attributes, the modified date remains the same. The modified date changes only if you modify the actual file. Works much the same with respect to notes in Evernote and their attributes: notebooks and tags. This apparently doesn't apply to note title, though: if you change it, the modified date does change (unlike filename changes, where the modified date does not change). That may be because of the fact that there's an implicit link in some cases to the first line of a note, I'm not sure. But I know that tag changes vs. modified date was discussed in the forum with input from Evernote staff, some years ago. Couldn't find the link, though.

Edit: Found the link. See @Jackolicious's posts from here on: 

On 11/4/2018 at 1:50 PM, jefito said:

Edit: Found the link. See @Jackolicious's posts from here on: 

Thanks.  Based on that discussion, when updated sorting does work, it's a bug.

That's funny, maybe I should not have said anything about it working sometimes . . . . ?

• Level 5*
On 11/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, jefito said:

But I know that tag changes vs. modified date was discussed in the forum with input from Evernote staff, some years ago.

IMHO, bad idea not changing update date with tag changes then, and still a bad idea today.  I have been known to on occasion accidentally delete a tag from the note header as opposed to the search explanation.  No way at that point to find the "modified" note without some spelunking.  PITA.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, CalS said:

IMHO, bad idea not changing update date with tag changes then, and still a bad idea today. 

Then we differ on that issue. Funny, because we are soooo in sync on everything else...  :) 

30 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Thanks.  Based on that discussion, when updated sorting does work, it's a bug.

Not sure what you mean by that. The bug mentioned was a case where adding/removing a tag did change the timestamp; that what you're referring to??

17 minutes ago, jefito said:

Not sure what you mean by that. The bug mentioned was a case where adding/removing a tag did change the timestamp; that what you're referring to??

Yes, sometimes, the update date does change, for me.  Not a bug I would wish to see squashed, but rather integrated and implemented for all users, at least as an option.

This weekend I updated over 300 notes, just tags and notebook location.  Of those, about 3 or 4 got their timestamp changed, though only among some of the notes updated  individually, rather than in bulk. 

Again, that's preferred behavior in my world.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

IMHO, bad idea not changing update date with tag changes then, and still a bad idea today.  I have been known to on occasion accidentally delete a tag from the note header as opposed to the search explanation.  No way at that point to find the "modified" note without some spelunking.  PITA.

Date Modified should be the last time anything for the note was modified. anything. Not just some things. Or change the field to "Date some stuff was modified, but not all of the stuff."

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, EdH said:

Date Modified should be the last time anything for the note was modified. anything. Not just some things. Or change the field to "Date some stuff was modified, but not all of the stuff."

Well said

Possible bug: navigating through note links and back on a secondary window is visibly slower than through the primary program window, in my observation.  I use secondary windows navigation often enough, so I believe this issue maybe new.

• Level 5*

Minor bug.  Using a bullet list which includes internal (green) note links.  If I add another bullet immediately after a note link,  the text continues green until I apply the default color.  If I add text after the link and then add the bullet,  the new text and the next line are correctly bulleted.

ie

• rambling, rambling, rambling Link
  • gets me green text next line
  • on the other hand Link is followed by the correct color
  • and the next line is OK

There is an issue with creating a new note in a shared folder. Evernote interrupts typing in the new note to display the "created by and shared by and last edited by" info. 

If the user is typing on the one line (i.e., just the one paragraph) when "created by and shared by and last edited by" appears, the user may lose a character or two, depending on how quickly they type.  But if they had typed a few words and hit ENTER before "created by and shared by and last edited by" appears, then when it does appear the cursor moves to the top of the note and the typing continues up there.

To reproduce: 

1. Disable "Set new note focus to title"
  2. Create a new note* in a shared folder: type 3-4 words, press <enter> and keep typing.
  3. After a short delay, "created by and shared by and last edited by" appears and when it does the cursor moves to the top of the note. 

*I have not tested with "create new note in new window"  enabled.

• Ex Employees
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Minor bug.  Using a bullet list which includes internal (green) note links.  If I add another bullet immediately after a note link,  the text continues green until I apply the default color.  If I add text after the link and then add the bullet,  the new text and the next line are correctly bulleted.

ie

Thanks for the report, our editor developers are investigating this.

Re: 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897)

Feature Requests*:

1. UPDATED DATE:  I feel mislead as a user by this problem. Regardless of fanboy justifications in the other thread, this is my primary Feature Request: Any user action altering a classification of a note should be documented with Updated time code at the time of user reclassification, irrespective of sync time. I've upvoted all opinions to this effect. 
  2. A Feature Request / Bug Report TEMPLATE might be a good tutorial/feature as well? One with a post to forum link might be most useful?

*edited

1 hour ago, bradkrause67 said:

Roll over tool tip menu names for the menu items in the Note List panel's header area. The icons are abstract enough to warrant a roll over title.

I would assume you have multiple monitors connected to your computer, and Evernote is positioned on the secondary monitor. If it is a case, in order for the tooltips for the icons in the note list header area to appear below your cursor, the Evernote needs to be active. If it is not, and you roll over icons nothing is going to happen. The screenshot below is taken with the Evernote being active, and the mouse cursor over the first icon.

image.png.2a4bcfbbe917a93d1f60a24b306e5493.png

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, bradkrause67 said:

Any user action altering a classification of a note should be documented with Updated time code at the time of user reclassification, irrespective of sync time. I've upvoted all opinions to this effect.

If you're referring to modifying a note's tags or notebook, there's recent discussion in at least one of those other topics as to why this would be better as an option rather than the policy. That discussion would better be continued there rather than here, as this topic is specific to the latest Windows beta, and the updated time issue would affect all Evernote clients.

• Level 5*
On 11/8/2018 at 5:50 AM, gazumped said:

ie

I can reliably reproduce this in 6.15.4 GA as well.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:00 PM, Jay-Bob said:

Thanks for the report, our editor developers are investigating this.

Great!

• Level 5*

There is a bug in clipping and then annotating a note. Evernote closes it when you are done annotating.

1. Clip a section of the screen using a keyboard shortcut.
  2. CLick on the note popup toast that says you have clipped a note
  3. right-click on the image in the note (which is now open it its own window)
  4. do some editing
  5. close the annotation window

More than once the note window itself closes on me, not just the annotation window.

• Level 5*

Bug between desktop and IOS font display. 

1. I use a PhraseExpress hotkey to enter yyyy.mm.dd into notes.  My default font in EN is Roboto 10.  The PE hotkey sets the font at Roboto 10. 
  2. Sometimes I drag text in default font from one note to another. 
  3. In both instances, the text does not dispaly as default on IOS, images below. 

I took a quick look at the ENML and it gets a bit messy.  On the desktop one can highlight the entire note, change the font, change it back to default font and then IOS renders as one would expect, though the ENML is still messy. 

End of the day, a resonable expectation that default font on one platform will be default font on another platform, hence bug report.

ScreenClip.png.557e091d1fa00b38c3a763f5b725acc0.png   D78F4D1B-C254-4BE1-94CE-32315E888E90.thumb.jpg.39deb1c330700f3a2285f345fd0f4ecc.jpg

Salient ENML

<en-note><div>Date typed in with default font</div><div><br/></div><div>2018.11.13</div><div><br/></div><div>Date from PhraseExpress</div><div><br/></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;">2018.11.13</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;"><br/></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;">Date dragged in from another default text note</span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto;"><br/></span></div><div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Roboto; font-size: medium; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">2018.11.13</span></div></en-note>

UI comment: The Windows version wastes too much screen space above the note list (see attached screenshot). Please return to the way it was before or add options in the View menu to go into full screen where all "white space" is removed.

Capture.PNG

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, VanDelfin said:

UI comment: The Windows version wastes too much screen space above the note list (see attached screenshot). Please return to the way it was before or add options in the View menu to go into full screen where all "white space" is removed.

Capture.PNG

fwiw  here's a comparison screenshot of the the Mac platform1335806183_ScreenShot2018-11-13at16_25_39.png.1657939819db37a575a45c1fbdf75e4c.png

In addition to the empty space above, we have a Notes/Reminders icon bar below

• Level 5*
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, EdH said:

There is a bug in clipping and then annotating a note. Evernote closes it when you are done annotating.

1. Clip a section of the screen using a keyboard shortcut.
  2. CLick on the note popup toast that says you have clipped a note
  3. right-click on the image in the note (which is now open it its own window)
  4. do some editing
  5. close the annotation window

More than once the note window itself closes on me, not just the annotation window.

Here is a screenshot with proof.

What Evernote seems to be doing is:

1. I annotate the note. The note is created via the screenshot shortcut
  2. I have other notes open
  3. I finish annotating and close. Closing the window with the X or File|Save & Exit does the same thing.
  4. The note is saved, but the container note window that it was in is replaced visually only with the contents of another note I have open. In this screenshot below you see in my task bar a note that starts with "Tha.." - that note content is what is showing in this "Screen clip" note window. (The @Pe.. icon is the main Evernote window)
  5. I have to close this bogus Screen Clip window, then go open it again.

I never lose data due to this. Just time. I'm not sure what would happen if I were to edit this bogus note window. I always just close it.

In creating this screenshot, the same thing happened and the contents of the "Tha…" note were in two "screen clip" titled notes. I had to close them all then manually open.

image.thumb.png.34bffa20016180989a18bad4ebbc070a.png

Hi. I apologize if this post duplicates something above -- I've skimmed as best I can but I want to report this bug while I have a few quick seconds during my day to do so.

In the latest public release of Evernote for Windows (6.16.4.8094) I've noticed new behavior. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional (I'm hoping it's not intentional). When I add a new note in any notebook, the focus in the notes list pane changes from the notebook I was in to "All Notes." This is very distracting. When I'm working in a particular notebook I almost always want to stay there.

I'm using Windows 10 on both a PC and a laptop, and am seeing the issue on both machines.

I had really hoped to post in this forum about how pleased I was with the new version. There's a lot good about it. Unfortunately, this new, glaring issue is casting a shadow over that for me.

10 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

When I add a new note in any notebook, the focus in the notes list pane changes from the notebook I was in to "All Notes." This is very distracting. When I'm working in a particular notebook I almost always want to stay there.

On my computer I see the note list label changes as you describe, but in reality it is still on the Notebook I have open.  You can confirm this by looking at the total number of notes on the list.

Still, the changed display seems like a bug since the label does not change if you disable "Create new note in a new window", under "Notes" in Options.

1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

I had really hoped to post in this forum about how pleased I was with the new version. There's a lot good about it. Unfortunately, this new, glaring issue is casting a shadow over that for me.

Even with the minor issues, I'm still very impressed by the improvements in the latest releases!

1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

On my computer I see the note list label changes as you describe, but in reality it is still on the Notebook I have open.  You can confirm this by looking at the total number of notes on the list.

Still, the changed display seems like a bug since the label does not change if you disable "Create new note in a new window", under "Notes" in Options.

That's not quite what I'm seeing. When I add a note, the focus in the left-hand pane changes from the notebook I was in to a focus on that notebook AND on "All Notes" (in other words, it looks as if both are selected simultaneously). The view in the center pane changes from showing just the notes in the notebook I was in to all of the notes I have in all notebooks. It's disorienting when I'm working in a particular notebook and suddenly the view changes.

Honestly, I know it's useless to express at this point because nothing ever changes with this company, but I'm just so exasperated with Evernote. The only reason I haven't migrated off of it is that I can't find the time. So I keep telling myself I'll scramble and migrate if Evernote ever goes belly up.

The thing that's really unfortunate is that I love the concept of Evernote. If it worked like it was supposed to I think it would be superior to anything else I've tried. Unfortunately, it's always broken on every platform.

1 minute ago, eric99 said:

Even with the minor issues, I'm still very impressed by the improvements in the latest releases!

If you are, that's great. And I mean that. But the issue I've described isn't "minor" for me. It's making it very difficult to work.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just trying to make clear to anyone from Evernote who might be paying attention that this issue has me reconsidering staying with the product.

23 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

That's not quite what I'm seeing. When I add a note, the focus in the left-hand pane changes from the notebook I was in to a focus on that notebook AND on "All Notes" (in other words, it looks as if both are selected simultaneously). The view in the center pane changes from showing just the notes in the notebook I was in to all of the notes I have in all notebooks. It's disorienting when I'm working in a particular notebook and suddenly the view changes.

While I am not seeing the dual notebook/all notes selection, I am seeing all selection disappear. 

Plus  I sometimes see dual note selection in the note list, no rhyme or reason.  More bugs I guess.

You could try submitting a ticket at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

They will ask for a screen capture of your issue if you can duplicate it (using something like Jing), and they may ask you to send them the Activity Logs.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire program helps, if you remember to rename the database folder so it is recreated from the servers.

13 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

If you are, that's great. And I mean that. But the issue I've described isn't "minor" for me. It's making it very difficult to work.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just trying to make clear to anyone from Evernote who might be paying attention that this issue has me reconsidering staying with the product.

I hope they fix it soon, in the mean time, as already mentioned, you can work around by  disabling "Create new note in a new window", under "Notes" in Options ...

• Ex Employees
On 11/13/2018 at 9:50 AM, Don Dz said:

Bug: pasting text via hotkey to an encrypted field works fine, attempting to do via the menu causes the text to be pasted outside the encrypted field.  I find this behavior is quite consistent.

Thanks, I can reproduce this as you've shown it and have reported this to the development team.

• Ex Employees
On 11/2/2018 at 7:21 AM, gazumped said:

last point above,  which completely lost me.  Why am I exporting and re-importing a busted note,  exactly??

Our web clipper allows a user to clip a site that may have a missing src URL. If a user exported that note, the Evernote for Windows Desktop would not allow the note to be imported  back into the account. Since the Web Clipper allows a site that contains an empty image src url to be saved, we allowed the Evernote for Windows Desktop to import that note. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, pepr said:

Hi, any plans to fix an historical (?) bug where the drag and drop of pdf (and other) files gets inserted anywhere but where you point with the mouse? would be appreciated.

This seems to be working for me in the current version. Do you have a more specific case where it fails?

• Level 5*
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, EdH said:

3. I finish annotating and close. Closing the window with the X or File|Save & Exit does the same thing.
  4. The note is saved, but the container note window that it was in is replaced visually only with the contents of another note I have open. In this screenshot below you see in my task bar a note that starts with "Tha.." - that note content is what is showing in this "Screen clip" note window. (The @Pe.. icon is the main Evernote window)

I never lose data due to this. Just time. I'm not sure what would happen if I were to edit this bogus note window. I always just close it.

In creating this screenshot, the same thing happened and the contents of the "Tha…" note were in two "screen clip" titled notes. I had to close them all then manually open.

Anyone at Evernote been able to replicate this with the repro steps I've provided?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, EdH said:

I know there is a big push to clean up the Evernote user interface (key things like huge green buttons, removing tool bars from notes to hide things in menus, etc) but any plans to ever clean up the Tag view in Windows? This has been around for a long time, and has been reported by me in the past. 

My guess would be that all columns are the same width, which defined by the width of the tag name plus indentation combo that's largest in your tag set. At least when I renamed one of my tags to a ridiculous length, the tag columns all widened to accommodate it. Renamed it back, and all columns shrunk back.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

I have no tag names long enough to justify 1/3 or more of my screen being white space. 

Any deep nesting? All it takes is one, at least from what I saw.

Actually, looking again, what seems weird in your screen cap is the large size of the first full column shown, while the second full column is less wide. Doesn't match my theory (columns are sized equally to the widest entry), so I guess I'm puzzled too.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, jefito said:

Doesn't match my theory (columns are sized equally to the widest entry)

A little mini test for me showed that the columns dynamically resize as you toggle "parents" in whatever part of the hierarchy,  Based upon tags that are visible.  

Currently experiencing some data loss when annotating notes.  I have not yet been able to constantly duplicate this - but then, haven't really tried yet.  Anyone else noticing it?

annotate an image, evernote does it's thing - but the annotate image is no longer in the note - but remains in the thumbnail.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.4c49bc0f9d34f17b6649bfcfa12f145c.png

23 hours ago, EdH said:

I know there is a big push to clean up the Evernote user interface (key things like huge green buttons, removing tool bars from notes to hide things in menus, etc) but any plans to ever clean up the Tag view in Windows? This has been around for a long time, and has been reported by me in the past. 

image.thumb.png.61375492d29d9dc4ed86600e30a0ce23.png

I notice this as well...

Here my "journal" main tag is closed - and things are relatively 'tight' together.

48490732_spacing2ScreenClip.png.60a0adc82a7d12d96fa947831bf9bddf.png

Open my journal tag and notice the inconsistency in the space created now... just a rough guess, but about 3 times the spacing.  All other tags on this page were closed/opened as they were in the first image.

1619453537_spacingScreenClip.png.8adc6ca5259daef1dc6ab82b0f1cf8b8.png

*update: Above screen shots are on my Surface Pro 4 device.  Another laptop of mine the spacing stays consistent.  Same EN version. Different screen resolution (smaller), and no touch screen.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ej8899 said:

Currently experiencing some data loss when annotating notes.  I have not yet been able to constantly duplicate this - but then, haven't really tried yet.  Anyone else noticing it?

annotate an image, evernote does it's thing - but the annotate image is no longer in the note - but remains in the thumbnail.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.4c49bc0f9d34f17b6649bfcfa12f145c.png

I wonder if this is related to my annotation big report a few posts up? I don’t have data loss but I have to navigate away and back to the note for it to come back. 

Links (URLs or internal note links) break if you change the  font size in the link.

I found this when I started using emoji's a while back...  I'd increase the font size on the emoji but the rest of the link would break...  Of course, I just worked around it,  but it persists, and perhaps time it's listed as a bug to get fixed.

*Edit:  if you change the font style in various ways, it also breaks the link. A color change within the URL kept the link intact though.

1852690189_brokenlinks2ScreenClip.png.ff62703d5b558bec0d4ce338fd2019ff.png

Since Evernote employees are monitoring this thread, I'd like to ask if one of them can tell me whether the issue I posted about above (where the pane that lists all of the notes in a selected notebook changes to the "all notes" list when I add a new note) is a known bug and is being worked on, or if I need to report it to support. I'm hoping I don't need to do the latter because I've found submitting support requests can be very time-consuming on my part; if it's a known bug that's being addressed this would give me a little peace of mind. Thanks.

On 11/17/2018 at 5:54 PM, jefito said:

This seems to be working for me in the current version. Do you have a more specific case where it fails?

Well, a simple note with text, i try to insert a PDF belor the text and this is placed wherever Thor wants; in the middle of the text, before...random.

The workaround i found is to let some space (many Enters) below the text, then insert the pdf and delete the space between text and pdf.....

14 hours ago, pepr said:

Well, a simple note with text, i try to insert a PDF belor the text and this is placed wherever Thor wants; in the middle of the text, before...random.

The workaround i found is to let some space (many Enters) below the text, then insert the pdf and delete the space between text and pdf.....

I have the same problem, not only when dragging, but also when pasting (CTRL-V) at a specific cursor location (even on a blank line)

Note: I configured the option "always save pdf as attachment"

CAUTION!  Data destruction if you're using "ink notes" and merge!  Evernote - please implement some testing if we can't merge certain notes together before data is destroyed!

Anyway... steps to create the problem: 1) create an ink note  2) merge it with another note (or more).    Result - ink note is destroyed.  It's turned into an "attachment.bin" file.   I tried opening the attachment.bin file but no luck.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.98eec902ba56cd3fb1ce9b8267db9046.png

Result is below... note the "attachment.bin" - now a 'garbage file' that can't be accessed any longer.

ScreenClip2.thumb.png.0655afb6ab612dad069a5d3a71388741.png

Ideal solution would be for EN to simply 'error check' note types before an attempted merge... if it's something that can't be merged - a popup indicating so should occur. I haven't tried this with other note types - ie business cards, or audio notes.    Although, I do screen shot notes all the time though, so those are clearly working for me with merging.  

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT, I think.

So I bought a Surface Pro 6 during the Cyber sale madness.  i added EN and decided to use sync on demand, since this is a backup to my main system.  I end up with the right number of notes after a brief time.  Problem is none of the text searches are accurate.  It's as if the only notes searched are the ones wherein the body has been synced.  REALLY?  It has to be a one off because how could anyone use ODS if searches were worthless.

Not interested in spelunking so I uncheck ODS.  The sync is painfully slow, so I nuke the install and start over.  If looks like it is downloading at about 6k notes per hour so it should be done in 6 hours or so.  The EXB is already 5 times as big as it was after unchecked ODS. 

But, why were text searches not working with the original ODS sync???

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, CalS said:

But, why were text searches not working with the original ODS sync???

The search probably was but you weren’t giving it enough time. I’ve complained about this. En gives you no indication that the search isn’t done so you see some notes pop up and think it is done. It isn’t. It can take many seconds to finish searching online the populate the results. (Assuming you are online - cannot search ODS offline of course).

but Evernote is too busy rebranding excercises and a new notebook view no one asked for to fix existing issues. All this would take to fix is a visual indicator that the search is  still happening. 

May of 2017 was when I first brought this up. Others may have done it sooner, but not quite as cool as the way I did. But that said, we still don't know when searching is done, but we do have emoji, so there's that.

• Level 5*

By the way @CalS - if you do give ODS another try (which I highly recommend as Evernote is way more responsive on Windows) be careful when merging notes. Evernote will not automatically download all notes before merging them, so you'll merge a bunch of headers. Just click on each note and let them all download, then merge.

This was also reported at least a year ago if not longer, and this is a data loss issue, not a visual annoyance.

This is a visual annoyance. -> 🤬

• Level 5*
On 11/13/2018 at 11:33 AM, EdH said:

Anyone from Evernote tracking this? Happened again this morning when I am taking notes on an online class. Step 5 above is a hassle as I totally lose my place.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, EdH said:

The search probably was but you weren’t giving it enough time.

Thanks for the feedback.  Probably the case, ODS was working on the backup laptop I just retired.  However, on the new box I sat there for a good minute with no responses (should be 293).  The data base downloaded overnight and with the same search this morning all results were there as soon as I typed the last character.  Lightening fast.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

if you do give ODS another try (which I highly recommend as Evernote is way more responsive on Windows)

Probably won't.  a) I have enough disk space and, b) as we have discussed in the past, for whatever reasons I don't suffer the same response issues as you and others. 

Why I don't know.  I go between two places so I have a docking station with two monitors and a ScanSnap at each.  I carry a 6 year old Lenovo laptop between them, 8 GB/256 GB SSD, not a horse by today's standards.  Have been using this same setup for the past 6 years with no speed issues.  I do turn off as much of the MS background noise BS (search indexing and the like) as I can, but that's about it.  The same search on this Lenovo is instantaneous as well.  That being the case no reason at this time for me to use ODS.

Side note.  My experience with turning off ODS is that one should rebuild the data base as opposed to letting it happen post unchecking the option.  The way it was going it would have taken days to download all the notes.

• Level 5*

An observation.  Just updated to Windows 10 Pro 1809.  I use two emojis in note titles to highlight them in the note list, phone ☎️ and repeat 🔁.  Neither has ever been in color in the note list but they were discernible and different in that the shadings of the images were darker and made it easier to locate phone and recurring notes.  They do appear in color on IOS devices.

With 1809 the shadings are more muted and don't jump out in the note list any more.  A shame, blame Microsoft I suppose.  Though if the emojis were in color per the above in the note list that would solve the problem.  ;)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

An observation.  Just updated to Windows 10 Pro 1809.  I use two emojis in note titles to highlight them in the note list, phone ☎️ and repeat 🔁.  Neither has ever been in color in the note list but they were discernible and different in that the shadings of the images were darker and made it easier to locate phone and recurring notes.  They do appear in color on IOS devices.

With 1809 the shadings are more muted and don't jump out in the note list any more.  A shame, blame Microsoft I suppose.  Though if the emojis were in color per the above in the note list that would solve the problem.  ;)

Really? Emoji issues? this will be fixed by next build, but On Demand Sync Merging of Notes with data loss, massive whitespace in tag view, lack of search progress status for On Demand Sync configs, will remain broken for years to come.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, EdH said:

Really? Emoji issues? this will be fixed by next build, but On Demand Sync Merging of Notes with data loss, massive whitespace in tag view, lack of search progress status for On Demand Sync configs, will remain broken for years to come.

More a Win10 issue, but yeah emoji issues!

I realize that in recent versions several processes were added in order to deal with some reported issues, but in my netbook that seems to cause it to run really slowly, and even on my desktop in power saver mode, the slow down is quite noticeable, as much as two or three seconds to display a clicked note sometimes.  In normal mode it's faster, but not instant like before.

Any chance of addressing the speed issue?  Thanks.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Don Dz said:

I realize that in recent versions several processes were added in order to deal with some reported issues, but in my netbook that seems to cause it to run really slowly, and even on my desktop in power saver mode, the slow down is quite noticeable, as much as two or three seconds to display a clicked note sometimes.  In normal mode it's faster, but not instant like before.

the EvernoteSubprocess.exe's were added  because they're a requirement of the embedded framework that they use. Not sure about the  EvernoteNw.exe processes. Which ones are slowing you down? I don't see these spiking when I click on a new note, so it might be an I/O thing, waiting on the DB query to finish? It looks like one of them gets killed and another created when you switch notes, that might be a part of it as well. Just guessing here

Not sure why you're be using power saver mode on a desktop machine. Don't know if that would make a difference, but you might try disabling that.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

Not sure why you're be using power saver mode on a desktop machine. Don't know if that would make a difference, but you might try disabling that.

In part to approximate how my netbook runs EN slowly (3-5 seconds sometimes), though I do use power saver to darken the screen when taking a break.

The processing thing was just guessing, I only know previously EN could run fast on a slow machine.

8 hours ago, CalS said:

Are you using on demand sync?

Nope, I am aware that can add extra time.

• Level 5*

I've one laptop that delves into power-saving mode from time to time.  That slows down the processor to use less power.  From time to time I'll check and (inevitably) switch it to "High Performance" to get snappier responses.  If you right-click the battery icon you should get some choices...

17 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I've one laptop that delves into power-saving mode from time to time.  That slows down the processor to use less power.  From time to time I'll check and (inevitably) switch it to "High Performance" to get snappier responses.  If you right-click the battery icon you should get some choices...

It was the desktop I was referring to with the power saver comment, on the netbook I run in high performance mode, still slow, on the desktop it is not as snappy as before, though fast enough.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

It was the desktop I was referring to with the power saver comment, on the netbook I run in high performance mode, still slow, on the desktop it is not as snappy as before, though fast enough.

That's what I'm saying: desktops don't run on batteries, so why use power saver? Reference: https://www.howtogeek.com/240840/should-you-use-the-balanced-power-saver-or-high-performance-power-plan-on-windows/: "Power Saver attempts to save power by reducing the CPU’s speed all the time and lowering screen brightness, among other similar settings". You're potentially crippling your CPU for no good reason. If you want to use adaptive brightness, you can adjust that with any power plan, like the default "Balanced". Per that article, that's recommended, and they advise specifically that "High Performance" won't make anything faster.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

That's what I'm saying: desktops don't run on batteries, so why use power saver? 

I fail to see how is that relevant to my original point: Evernote seems to be noticeably slower than it used to be, and is there any chance that the previous snappy behavior can be restored while they are working on bugs, somehow.

I am about to go out of town for a few weeks (without my desktop) so the speed issue on my netbook is a real concern.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, jefito said:

That's what I'm saying: desktops don't run on batteries, so why use power saver?

Because more power requires more electricity. That means power plants run more. That increases emissions. That create a greenhouse effect. Then Antarctica melts. Then baby penguins die. 

WHY DO YOU HATE THE BABY PENGUINS? 🐧 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

Evernote seems to be noticeably slower than it used to be, and is there any chance that the previous snappy behavior can be restored while they are working on bugs, somehow.

I know it doesn't help, but EN has been as snappy as usual for me, I haven't seen any slow downs with the recent releases on Windows.  IOS is a totally different story, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

I guess you could try reverting to a version that worked well, assuming it is only a couple back (not too much risk of functional loss if it's only a couple of versions).  If EN performs better then you know the culprit.  If not, maybe something else has changed.  May be more work than it's worth to you, don't know.  I only suggest since my experience is no change.  FWIW.

35 minutes ago, CalS said:

IOS is a totally different story, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Funny you should say that, I have not observed a change in iOS, though that is not my primary platform (it was never super fast in the first place, just adequate).  Android on the other hand seems to be slowing down to a crawl. 

I guess I would be ready to give up if I used them heavily for input and processing like I do with Windows (actually, I no longer use Android with a keyboard because of the slow down, plus issues with tech support).

When I used to try reverting, I noticed some data corruption which I attributed to the frequent switching back and forth, so I don't do it much anymore. 

But the fact you don't notice a slow down in Windows gives me a little hope there may be things I could try on my end, mostly with the data itself, maybe.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

I fail to see how is that relevant to my original point: Evernote seems to be noticeably slower than it used to be, and is there any chance that the previous snappy behavior can be restored while they are working on bugs, somehow.

I'll take that as a data point and it's valid point, as is your concern over the  the sluggishness you're seeing.

As a side issue, though, I was curious about your power plan choices -- high performance on a laptop (the netbook, right?) which runs on batteries = shorter battery life vs power saver on a desktop -- it just seems backwards to me, so I looked up an article from folks who (ought to) know more than me about such things, and it more or less agrees. But it's your computers, so...

But understanding what's really going on can be difficult to pin down without more information. Computers are complex ecosystems, and a number of things can come into play.  A lot can depend on what else is going on -- for me, if I've had Chrome open for several weeks with a lot of tabs open (not uncommon), it affects other applications (because if I shut it down and restart, even with the same number of tabs, things get noticeably better).  There's CPU usage as well as working set vs .available RAM. And with multicore CPUs, even more variables.  You can pin a core, but not affect anything that's running on a different core. Conversely, if you're memory starved you may spend a lot of time paging stuff in and out of your page file, which will be slow even if you have a very fast CPU. You :can monitor some of this yourself using Task Manager, which is built in to Windows, or Process Explorer which is probably better and easily available.

In any case, it would be nice if Evernote found a fix for this, as it's a problem for some folks (not me, except when I'm lazy about restarting), and it's good to keep reporting it. Carry on.

• Level 5*

@Don Dz

IOS has taken a nose dive into the toilet for me.  Of my EN time it is less than 5%, looking things up recording workouts at the gym and the like.

FYI, I use a 6 year old Lenovo laptop in a docking station with a couple of monitors.  8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD.  I run Windows 10 Pro now on 1809.  I turn off all the Microsoft BS stuff (to me anyway) that I can - file indexing, Cortana, send home, whatever eats disk or CPU cycles for no good cause.  I have 40 k notes of which 20% are local and a 19 GB data base.  Typically I have EN, a mail client and Brave browser windows open. 

I've always attributed my typically very snappy response time to the SSD since that's when I really noticed it, maybe six or seven years ago.  Though others have tried SSD and not reported any gains of consequence.  Maybe there's some other twinkie dust in my setup, but I don't know what it is.  Hope it helps.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, CalS said:

IOS has taken a nose dive into the toilet for me. 

the iOS client is useless to me. I cannot create notes at all. They keep deleting themselves. I can edit. But not create. Yes, I've reported. "Known issue." I got another app to make quick notes and I may transcribe to Evernote when I get back to my desk, or to my paper Bullet Journal. 

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, EdH said:

the iOS client is useless to me. I cannot create notes at all. They keep deleting themselves. I can edit. But not create. Yes, I've reported. "Known issue." I got another app to make quick notes and I may transcribe to Evernote when I get back to my desk, or to my paper Bullet Journal. 

Yeah, I'm now in the habit before I go to the gym of creating the note on the desktop, opening EN on the phone, syncing, and leaving EN open.  New notes I email to myself via the phone and fix later.  Didn't use to be this way not long ago, templates or something else?  PITA.

3 hours ago, CalS said:

I've always attributed my typically very snappy response time to the SSD since that's when I really noticed it, maybe six or seven years ago.  Though others have tried SSD and not reported any gains of consequence.  Maybe there's some other twinkie dust in my setup, but I don't know what it is.  Hope it helps.

SSD is the last frontier for me, currently I am using a 15k rpm hard drive, 16gb ram, and 4 core cpu.

I finished throwing all the Ctrl-Help menu options I could think of at my data, no improvement, on the other hand, no error found.  My only suspicion is my frequent use of tables with bulleted and numbered lists, an item which used to cause me tons of grief before it was fixed.

About the other comments, I tested iOS, no problem creating new notes in iOS and syncing them, though it is true I mostly create them in Windows.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

SSD is the last frontier for me, currently I am using a 15k rpm hard drive, 16gb ram, and 4 core cpu.

I finished throwing all the Ctrl-Help menu options I could think of at my data, no improvement, on the other hand, no error found.  My only suspicion is my frequent use of tables with bulleted and numbered lists, an item which used to cause me tons of grief before it was fixed.

About the other comments, I tested iOS, no problem creating new notes in iOS and syncing them, though it is true I mostly create them in Windows.

SSD makes everything faster if that helps at all.

• Level 5*

Bug Report.

Not exactly sure of the circumstance, will try to remember events immediately prior next time, but

Sometimes the Ctrl+Q closes EN as opposed to opening a search window.   This has been happening only recently, maybe last six weeks, once a week or so.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:18 AM, CalS said:

Sometimes the Ctrl+Q closes EN as opposed to opening a search window.   This has been happening only recently, maybe last six weeks, once a week or so.

Could you be inadvertently holding down SHIFT also? Ctrl+Shift+Q is Exit (the same Exit as in the File menu)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

Could you be inadvertently holding down SHIFT also? Ctrl+Shift+Q is Exit (the same Exit as in the File menu)

Could be.  I tend to hit Ctrl+Q with just my left hand, so a little bit of slide and I could add the Shift to the combo.  If it happens again I should be able to determine at that point.  Thanks. 

On 11/30/2018 at 1:54 PM, jefito said:

As a side issue, though, I was curious about your power plan choices -- high performance on a laptop (the netbook, right?) which runs on batteries = shorter battery life vs power saver on a desktop -- it just seems backwards to me, so I looked up an article from folks who (ought to) know more than me about such things, and it more or less agrees. But it's your computers, so...

It's the lazy approach,  I simply didn't feel like taking the time to reconfigure the power plans for something I don't do all the time.

This 'backwards' approach didn't use to have any noticeable effect on performance. in EN, now it does. 

Again, the concern is the slower Netbook, more than the desktop, though it would be nice if it was snappier overall.

• Level 5*

I don't see any mention of a new beta (in the forums),  though I updated my backup laptop to 6.17.1 beta earlier.  (It's what the backup laptop is for...)

I mention it here because I was playing with it briefly and noticed that the notes I was simply viewing were having their updated date change to the current value.  Just verified that these dates were synced on the main database and visible on the web.  Might just have been me having a senior moment,  or a random gremlin;  but if you do download the new beta - check to make sure it's not automatically updating the notes just because you look at them...

(Edited for clarity)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I don't see any mention of a new beta (in the forums),  though I updated my backup laptop to 6.17.1 beta earlier.  (It's what the backup laptop is for...)

It's right here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/117798-evernote-for-windows-617-beta-1/. Don't forget to sort the forum by "recently updated"; have to do it every time...

Archived