Trying to change my email address - no success

learningremotely

Idea

I accidentally signed in through google with my email, which created an a new evernote account. However, I want to change my email account preference to that new email address for my ACTUAL evernote, but now I can't because it says the other email is taken. I went in and deactivated the other email account, tried to change again, but it didn't work.

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, and please allow me to elaborate!

Generally, you can go to the Security Settings page in your account and change the email address that is listed there to one that is more desirable:

Security_Summary.png

However, you mentioned:

However, I want to change my email account preference to that new email address for my ACTUAL evernote, but now I can't because it says the other email is taken. I went in and deactivated the other email account, tried to change again, but it didn't work.

The reason for this is that deactivating your Evernote Account does not close the account, or free up the email address tied to the account.

Instead, deactivation places the account into a dormant state, and allows for the account to be reactivated at a later time. 

In order to free-up the email address from an Evernote Account, you would need to close the account.

This is mentioned here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314088-How-to-deactivate-and-reactivate-your-Evernote-account:

Note: If you wish to completely remove your email address and username, first submit a ticket using the account you wish to deactivate. Then, deactivate your account while you wait for a response to your ticket. We'll ask you to confirm that you've deleted your content and deactivated your account before we can remove your email address.

Via the support ticket, an agent will confirm with you that you are ready to close the Evernote Account, and once they receive your confirmation, they will close the account and remove the email address associated with it. (Note: This will prevent future account reactivation)

Once the account is closed and the email address is freed up, you can then associate that newly freed email address with a different Evernote Account.

Workaround:

Also, as a workaround solution to closing your Evernote Account to free up the email address, you can use this process to substitute in a different email address that you own, which then frees up the email address originally tied to that Evernote Account.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004757

I hope that this answers your question, and please feel free to reach out to me via DM if you're encountering further issues!