Sharing how I use Evernote

Hello,

I'm of Mom of three, work full time and volunteer for several organizations. I have a crazy life. Here are some ways that I use Evernote..

- I scan all my kids work into Evernote. My 11 year old knows how to do this and I'm working on the 9 year old. Why? Grade disputes and it helps with those scrapbooking project that I'll get to one day. Anyone one school aged kids is inundated with paperwork. I have them place school notes in the scanner so I could scan and read on the train I also show Family and Grandparent art and other projects and tests on Ipad.

- AR reading list and points. I have a file of the books that we are looking for and need to add to collection

- Share documents with my Girl Scout Troop as well as archived all the documents for our local Swim Club

- Room Party directions..I have a log of all the room parties and copies of the letters that I sent to families.

- Instructions for toys and receipts. I've pulled it up at target and got a refund for a broken TV..The service desk women was a little mad that she had to type the receipt number in but it worked..

These are just a few things. I would like to hear other ideas.

Yvette

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I gave up on a scanner and just use the Scannable app on my ipad.

I also scan every piece of paper that comes my way.  

1. All scans are sent to my default notebook (@Inbox)
  2. I process these notes on my Mac when I have time
    I use a script to control the assignment of notebook/tags

The most important point is that these documents can be retrieved as required.
I  have a very controlled standard for tag assignment; its not a random process.

I also use Evernote for task management.
Each task is stored as a note, with the due date stored as a reminder date.

I create a note for every receipt (scan) and cash transaction.
This data is transfered to  a spreadsheet to produce  budget reports.

--------

The kids are young but are you planning to introduce them to Evernote and the iPad?
I  wish I had these tools when I was growing up?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, The Ubiquitou sAnomaly said:

Scannable is sweet but Evernote's default scanner is a pain. Is there a good alternative for android?

Check the app store - there are lots.  I can recommend Adobe Scan / Office Lens / Camscanner - but mainly I do use the native Evernote camera feature;  I capture in Android and edit on a desktop to crop / size / annotate the results.

On the more general topic - I also scan everything that comes my way (unless it's food or drink,  anyway...) and have a shared notebook with the family for grandson-related stuff.  He's not old enough to use his own account yet,  but guess what he's getting for a Christmas present in a few years...  ?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

For a time the default scanner was painfully slow on iPhone, but either due to EN update, iOS update, or whatever; it's been significantly better in recent months.  As for other uses, my wife still loves paper lists, so when she's running the show; I scan the list, put in annotate mode for the resulting image and scratch them out with my finger as I go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

My solution for scanning on my i-devices is ScannerPro by readdle. It is fast, reliable even under low light conditions etc.

The best feature is the possibility to create own workflows, without coding. I have created several workflows related to repetitive scanning & importing tasks. They take the scan (can be set to jpeg or pdf), tag it with a set of standard tags assigned to the workflow (like ScannerPro, 2019, Music, Events) and import it as a new note to the designated Evernote-Notebook. Often this is it - the note is there, tagged and available to search and retrieval without further effort.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Everything, basically.

I share a notebook which has things like grocery lists (check boxes) and other house related stuff .

At work, I share a notebook with my colleague where we have manual, procedures, etc.

Personally, everything is in there. Work projects, home organisation, birthday/Christmas present ideas, manuals, recipes.

The beauty of having everything in there is that everything is searchable so I can find anything really quickly from any device.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
On 12/5/2019 at 7:19 AM, Leowu said:

wanna scan photo, can I do it in app or better to go and use scanner (not at home, somewhere)

I use the camera on my iPad for all scanning
My scanner at home is covered with dust; sitting next to the fax machine
Evernote has a camera option, or I use Evernote's Scannable app
or copy/paste from the device photo album app

A dedicated scanner will give you a better set of features

• Level 5

There are 3 good ways to use a smartphone camera (or the one on the iPad) to do the scanning. Warning: All this is iOS, I have no experience with Android:

1) In a note you are editing, press the "+" button. You can then pick the camera, and scan right away. When it finds a page, it will auto-detect the margins, and make a scan of it.

2) Download the Scannable-App, that belongs to the EN universe. It lets you scan right into a note, with a bit more flexibility. And it comes for free.

3) Get a scanning app for your phone, and send the scan by the "share"-button into EN. Some are for free, I prefer ScannerPro by readdle to do the job. First it comes with OCR-Capabilioties build into, and second you can create "workflows" that send the scan right into the correct notebook, readily tagged with some standard tags.

4) Out of the competition: You can use an office scanner (in my case the Fujitsu ix500) to do the heavy scanning, pass the scans directly to the Fujitsu App on the smartphone, and share it to EN again. The apps are free, but the scanner carries a hefty price tag.

For you as a Basic user, probably using a scanner app with OCR capability will be the best deal. For Premium users, EN will do the OCR on the server, but if you are on Basic, OCR done by the scanner itself is probably the best way to produce a searchable pdf. I am not sure you can search it in EN itself, but for example on a windows computer the search built into Win10 will find it, if enabled.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I use the camera on my iPad for all scanning

That sounds terribly painful and time consuming.  For the occasional receipt or single piece of paper snapping a picture is ok but a duplex multi-sheet desk scanner is easily worth the initial investment, at least for me.

• Level 5

From my experience, it depends:

On the occasional piece of information, a mobile device is great, because it has zero setup time, and does the job on the fly.

When I convert larger portions of paper into pdfs to save away, I nearly always use my ix500 to do the job. This is everything from app. 10 pages upwards. But then I do the scanning on occasion, after collecting stuff to be scanned for a week or so.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, s2sailor said:

For the occasional receipt or single piece of paper snapping a picture is ok but a duplex multi-sheet desk scanner is easily worth the initial investment, at least for me.

Good point
For a stack of papers I would search out a sheet feeder scanner, they're available in the office    
My stuff is single/1-2 page

• Level 5

This is what I like with my ScannerPro app: It has workflows, where you can specify the target notebook, and assign a set of standard tags to the note containing the scanned document. With less than 10 such workflows I can do 80% of my scanning/notebooking/tagging, with a very small need of retagging afterwards.

• Level 5*
On 12/5/2019 at 8:19 AM, Leowu said:

Hi need advice, wanna scan photo, can I do it in app or better to go and use scanner (not at home, somewhere)

As inferred above, depends on how many photos.  If just a few then mobile device should be fine.  If a bunch then it's arithmetic between cost of your own scanner and time against a third party doing it for you.  

I bought a flat bed scanner when I wanted to digitize a bunch of old photos.  It was probably more a matter of control than cost or convenience.  I could have used my ScanSnap s1300i which does a good job, but can only do one snap at a time.

As I understand it, an app is suitable for scanning text. But for a high-resolution photo, a photo scanner is still better, since there is a higher pixel density, proper lighting. I think I’m using Espon and I’ll find where to rent or buy.