How to avoid tags from shared notebooks

Is there any way to avoid that tags created in a notebook shared with me is imported to my Tag list? Someone shared a notebook with me and has created a lot of tags on the notes in it. All of those tags show up in the Tags View, and I can't find my own tags anymore. Can I somehow avoid those shared tags, either completely or at least from displaying in the Tags View?

I know that when I right-click on a Tag, there is the option "Unassign from all notes". I am not sure whether that is just applied to my own version of the notes or also in the notes of the original creator of the note. In other words, if I do that, will the person sharing the note with me be affected by me removing the tags? Also, I am not sure that this will really solve the issue. I might get rid of the current shared tags this way, but if new notes will be created in the shared notebook using the same or other tags, I assume those tags will again show up in my Tag List.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Tags from notes shared with you will unfortunately show up in your tag list.  AFAIK there is no way to avoid this.  You could try managing those tags into nested hierarchies starting with <! mine> and <theirs> (or something similar) which - if it does work - will clean up your list, and even if it doesn't will put your tags above anything else in the list.  Anything you do to personalise the display on your account will not affect the tags on the owner's account - though if you have edit rights,  deleting tags would.

Organize with tags - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314388

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

You could try managing those tags into nested hierarchies starting with <! mine> and <theirs> (or something similar) which - if it does work - will clean up your list, and even if it doesn't will put your tags above anything else in the list.

Exactly what I do, when this situation bothers me, which it doesn't, mostly.  I only share notebooks between my two accounts; there's some overlap, but usually I don't worry about finding tags in the tag list anyways -- I keep it closed, since I generally know the tags I use anyways.

Regardless, it would be nice to be able to display the tag list and tag panel without any tags that don't come from shared notebooks.

• Level 5*

As per @gazumed, my tags are in hierarchies (?Who, !What, @Where, .When)
and all my tagnames are prefixed with one of ?!@ or .
I can't avoid tags from shared notetooks, but I have no confusion with shared/my tags.

Archived